Ibook and Coca Cola

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
Does not mix well...

So with my three week old G4 do I try and get it fixed here or wait till I get back in a months time...

I imagine of course that the guarantee is worth nothing for a self inflicted problem like this... Thanks to Neil my 4 year old...

Answers please, I think Ill try and get it fixed here as I need it...

Depends what and when it happened Richie.

Was it 'live' at the time. If so it has probably fried a few vitals. If not it could be rinsed left to dry thoroughly and tried again.

good luck.

You dropped Coca-Cola on the keyboard???

Just buy a new keyboard if you don't get it done under guarantee.

I've dropped some sweet tea, but pushed away momentarely with my air compressor in the garage and all was fine again. :D

Simple rule - never go near to any computer keyboard with liquid stuff! I've screwed 2 keyboards up in the past so i try to follow this rule...

Hmm... But if anything else happened not by your fault then - Apple has worldwide guarantee, i'm sure you'll get it from where you are now too (Malaysia?) - search for official Apple reseller in thins country.

Mo

See how easy it is to remove the keyboard, assuming we are talking laptop here, most these days have a protective membrane under the keys so it may not have got into the main system, unless it has already died on you..!! But have a look and you may get away with just a new keyboard, not the cheapest but better than a new machine.

isn't that why you have accidental damage cover on your household insurance?

I am in Asia for those of you who did not realise. The MAc is now in pieces, sod the guarantee. And it starts up to the first sound but not the screen. I am going to try and get a product to clean the pcb as it has coke on it. The keyboard seems fine. Dont know how much the gaurantee would be worth with a third of a bottle of coke in it....

The nearest MAC dealer is in Singapore and Im in the Philippines... If I'd brought my PC with me it could be fixed ten km away...

if the keyboard comes out you can wash most of them in warm water & fairy, at least you can with desktop keyboards. i've done it, they come up like new.try to keep it out of the switches etc. though.

if that fails or you just don't want to risk it, i'd go with mpriestleys suggestion.

edit: richie, just seen your new post made while i wrote the above.

sounds freddie ucked to me mate. get onto the insurance. you have travel insurance don't you?

Richie - DHL, Fedex etc works worldwide, if it's coca cola then no guarantee covers it anyway. :( So maybe better to send it with DHL to Singapore and they send it back, all the issue should be in the matter of few days - fast services. Not sure how expensive it is. I know few people have ordered their BMW parts from Europe if they've broken down in "third-world" areas with DHL similars - very fast and effective, quite expensive too i think.

First try if you can make the thing clean and working yourself for sure!

Good luck, Mo

richie said:
I am in Asia for those of you who did not realise. The MAc is now in pieces, sod the guarantee. And it starts up to the first sound but not the screen. I am going to try and get a product to clean the pcb as it has coke on it. The keyboard seems fine. Dont know how much the gaurantee would be worth with a third of a bottle of coke in it....

The nearest MAC dealer is in Singapore and Im in the Philippines... If I'd brought my PC with me it could be fixed ten km away...

Opened up again today and cleaned the board. All looks good but it still wont start. I could try and send it to singapore by DHL. I was at DHL today and they are not far away...

Is there a factory reset option? and how can I get the DVD out of it?

Cheers guys, I am upset only as I have four weeks to go and no way of updating my web site....

ARGHHHHH....

Does it start hard-drive or ventilators inside if you push the start button?

Or nothing happends?

First case just hold down the mouse button or eject button, then it throws your DVD out holding down the button in ten seconds or so.

In the second case possibly the PMU (PowerManagementUnit) is in shortcircuit with Coca-Cola and the computer is completely dead (in means of electrical power) - Singapore dudes will send your DVD back then, clean or replace the PMU.

I really hope they don't have to replace the motherboard...

Mo

richie said:
Opened up again today and cleaned the board. All looks good but it still wont start. I could try and send it to singapore by DHL. I was at DHL today and they are not far away...

Is there a factory reset option? and how can I get the DVD out of it?

Cheers guys, I am upset only as I have four weeks to go and no way of updating my web site....

ARGHHHHH....

And if you have some XXX stuff or some illegy stuff on that DVD, don't worry about that - that's non of the repair-guys business and they don't check it anyway.

Just remind them not to forget to bring back your (!) personal (!) DVD :p :D

Mo

Richie...chances are you bought that silly toy with a credit card.......in which case, it's insured.......call the company, tell them what happened and you should get a nice new shiny one.

Sorted.

No charge.

;)

Fanum said:
Richie...chances are you bought that silly toy with a credit card.......in which case, it's insured.......call the company, tell them what happened and you should get a nice new shiny one.

Sorted.

No charge.

;)

Funnily enough, slap my hand, I paid cash...

Why the hell not??? Did they expain?

Or they have the same silly system like in Eastern-Europe too - must send all laptops to Duchland that need serious repairings (motherboard issues)?

Why not they check it first then. And if they have that strange repairing system too, then if they aren't able to repair they forward it to the ones who is able to do that. Tokyo's Apple Store certanly shoud get all issues sorted, even if the comp is broken into two parts. It may take a lot of time i guess. But i'd not give up hope just to send it to Singapore dudes to check it first.

Now that's a strange situation up there. It's Asia i guess...

Mo

richie said:

they have changed their minds theyt cant do it...

The saga continues. I left the Ibook in its bag for the last few weeks. The bag has been invaded by ants who have cleaned it up for me free of charge...

Guess what

It now works

Sometimes, I have burnt a CD with all the images that were on it.. So all it needs now is a proper service from MAC...
Result...

Back
Top Bottom