Info on GPS

The Phantom Pieman

Reaction score
Having got lost a few times in Germany at the w/e, and had to faff around with the biggest map in the world, I can now see the point of GPS.

Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find out basic information?

Thanks

Just read this site...

Two choices it now seems to me. Pure auto routing top dog GPS like 2610 or SPIII

Or more map based GPS which still do Autorouting like the 276, 176 or 60....

I personaly now really know that the map based GPS is my choice. But most prefer full autorouting jobs likethe 2610

Can someone point me in the direction of where I can find out basic information?

do a search for PanEuropean's posts in this forum.

Grüezi Pieman:

I spend about half of my time in Balsberg, and will be back in CH about August 12 or so (right now I am in Western Canada). If you can wait until then, we can meet up in person and I will show you the pros and cons of two different GPS units I have installed on my moto, a Garmin SP 2650 and a Garmin 296. You can try both out on your bike over a couple of weekends, if you want.

We can also have a coffee and I can give you sort of a general overview of what is available. The most significant factor affecting your decision is how you intend to use the GPSR, not what is available out on the market. It's kind of like buying a moto for the first time, if you are new to the whole process, you start out comparing Ducatis and dirt bikes. Once you have a good understanding of what purposes the different GPSR's are made for, and what their strengths and weaknesses are, you can make appropriate decisions to narrow down your choice. That's really the only way to make a wise buying decision.

So, for the time being, keep your money in your pocket. Hopefully we can meet up in 3 weeks or so.

PanEuropean

PanEuropean said:
Grüezi Pieman:

I spend about half of my time in Balsberg, and will be back in CH about August 12 or so (right now I am in Western Canada). If you can wait until then, we can meet up in person and I will show you the pros and cons of two different GPS units I have installed on my moto, a Garmin SP 2650 and a Garmin 296. You can try both out on your bike over a couple of weekends, if you want.

We can also have a coffee and I can give you sort of a general overview of what is available. The most significant factor affecting your decision is how you intend to use the GPSR, not what is available out on the market. It's kind of like buying a moto for the first time, if you are new to the whole process, you start out comparing Ducatis and dirt bikes. Once you have a good understanding of what purposes the different GPSR's are made for, and what their strengths and weaknesses are, you can make appropriate decisions to narrow down your choice. That's really the only way to make a wise buying decision.

So, for the time being, keep your money in your pocket. Hopefully we can meet up in 3 weeks or so.

PanEuropean

Thanks, would be great to meet up. Hopefully once my sponsership cheque clears I can PM you ......

I'm in Duebendorf / Ebmatingan

OK. I think I have PM's and emails turned off in my profile. But you could send me an email, to "PanEuropean at hotmail dot com" (replace the words 'at' and 'dot' with the appropriate symbols), that way we can establish some direct communication.

PanEuropean

Back
Top Bottom