Installing heated grips on R1100GS

ajd

I thought this would have been a common question, but searching the forum hasn't turned up any similar points. Perhaps I'm just years behind everyone else... Help would be appreciated here please.

I am fitting heated grips to my 1996 R1100GS. I thought I had the handlebars ready to take the grips - there are inserts at the ends with cutaways to take the cables, and holes in the undersides of the bars near the centre to get the cables out again. Two issues arise:

1) in the kit I got from MotorWorks there are a new pair of bar "inserts" with a bigger hole to get the wires through - but I can get the wires through the existing ones. Which is just as well since I can't get the existing ones out. QUESTION - to I need to replace the existing inserts at the extremities of the bars (as the instructions say) or are the existing ones OK?
2) There are no holes in the bars to take the screws that secure the heated grips - is this telling me I need new bars after all?

email me at ajd@oldbike.org please, thanks ahead of time.

Hi,

I was thinking of adding the grips also. And thought it may be cheaper and simpler to just fir the grips and not bother getting the bar/heated grip kit.

I have holes near the clamps on the underside of the bars. What else to I need to look for ?

"2) There are no holes in the bars to take the screws that secure the heated grips - is this telling me I need new bars after all?"
Where exactly is this (I may have a look) ?

Cheers.

The new grips containing the heating elements are built around a plastic cylinder that slips over the handlebar ends. In order to stop these spinning round in normal use they are fixed by two screws at the inner end of the new grip - according to the destructions there ought to be two corresponding holes already drilled in the bars ready to take the screws (the original unheated grips are glued on, but this isn't appropriate for the heated versions). You can check for the holes (I don't seem to have any, hence my problem), they will be just on the outside of the left hand plastic switchgear assembly.

I am glad to help (there's no irony in me saying this), I was rather hoping for answers to my original question rather than more questions! I just want to join the brotherhood of the warm hands...

Back
Top Bottom