IPods

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been trying to buy a 20GB IPod, tried Currys, dixons and PC world in Derby,Notts and Leicester and none of them have any in stock...Are they really that good or would one of the similar variants be just as good?

Forget the Ipod, you're just paying for the name.

I bought a Creative Labs Nomad Zen Extra which has 40Gb and can hanlde MP3, wav and wma (which have one of the best size/quality ratios). I've got over 300 albums on mine at 128Kbs and it's only 1/3rd full.

When used with Ultimate Ear type thingumy bobs I spent 18 hours over 3 days and didn't hear the same song twice. Volume is good enough at 14 of 25 to hear the music at 100mph although a bit warbly as the plugs get shaken but at 70-80 its damn good (lack of bass response notwithstanding)

Fewer accessories is possibly the only downside.

Rob

I have one of the original 5gb iPods its still fine for me, use it on the bike with Sony MDR-EX71SL earbuds, they fit in the ear with different size adaptors, comfortable in a helmet. You could try an Apple distributor,

Nottingham Broadmarsh Centre
http://www.krcs.co.uk/krcs_nottingham.html

Leicester Haymarket Centre
http://www.krcs.co.uk/krcs_leicester.html

John Lewis also sell them they have a shop in the Victoria Centre in Nottingham.

Good listening

Bought the 20gig from Pixlemania about 6mths ago - all my cd collection now on board - l u r v e it! Also use the Ultimate ear plugs when riding - fableeous!

:beerjug:

Only one thing Rob - if you buy anything from Pixlemania you get the instructions in French/German but easy enough to work out once you've had a flying lesson from Judge:beerjug:

Use the 20gb on the bike and at home....does what it says on the Box...!

Don't write it off because some folk think it is a Designer must have..:(

It is a good piece of kit.....

CC

:cool:

Got the Ipod mini, and have found it a awesome gadget for listening to music on the bike.

Got it connected to the autocom and have it charging through the GS front accessory socket.

The only thing you have to watch is that you get feedback noise through the autocom when the ipod is charging from the bike. Its easily fixed by using the special noise suppresor autocom music lead.

Have the iPod 20GB its lovely but I'm concerned over battery life and yes you are paying for Brand - earphones are a let down (all show and no go), outside of warranty (which is when your battery will fail and Apple become a bit greedy, £80 for a unit exchange and no warranty - are you getting one with a replaced battery or a warranty return?). If I were buying again I think it would be a (HP) iRiver and console myself with a G4 Mac instead :D

archos

av_320.jpg

for every thing your music, films,pictures,etc.

what it does

also a bigger and better version ...

av480.jpg

http://www.archos.com/

and you get card readers that plug in so you can store your photos while away ,less cards needed now!

http://www.pocketanimal.co.uk/

Archos_Memorycard_kit.jpg

about £240 for the 320

I've tried both the iPod 30Gb and...

...the iRiver iHP-120.

iriverihp120_110303_160.jpg

The
iRiver is the clear winner.

It's a no brainer.

And the mugger buggers will have your iPod off you and your brain in the gutter before they've realised that the iRiver is even a nickable item.

I just bought my daughter the latest generation iPod 20gb for Christmas (but don't tell her!) Style is everything when you are 13 so iPod is the only choice.

Mike

Forget the Ipod, you're just paying for the name.

Not true... your buying an exsperince

Very happy with my 20gbit... I use it with some sony sound canceling head phones when flying

Aye you're right, you are buying an experience, a limited one!

There are a variety of machines out there including HP and Creative Labs and others. The Ipod does not do data, nor sound formats other than mp3. I had my 300+ CDs copied onto my laptop long befoer the Iod and other came out but as wma. The ipod looks good but for £100 less I got a 40Gb hdd machine that does more and that I can get spares at a reasonable price eg I bought a spare battery for £11 inc vat & p+p.

I'm glad for anyone who's happy with their Ipod but I would suggest that you're showing your blinkers. "It's an Ipod so it must be marvelous" Do you ride a Honda becasue everyone else does? No, you ride an idiosyncratic bike becasue you tried it and liked it. Now THAT'S an experience!

Rob,

Ive tried both the IPOD and Iriver and although I think the Pod looks the nicest its the new 40mb Iriver that I will be buying.

Theres loads of hop ups for it too.

Andy

I'm still sitting on the fence looking at all the makes - yet to have a play with any of them - but read a review in one of the mags that rated the Rio Karma. Anybody got any experience of these?

Karma_main_prod.jpg

I have an iPod for a while which I used to enjoy while riding.
Everything was all right till it failed. Then I went looking for a solution: Apple? Well, those familiar with Microsoft support will be happy to know that Apple rised the issue of customer care to unseen levels. Even my local council seems helpfull and customer oriented compared to Apple.

It goes like this:

1) Only Apple can service/repair my iPod (still under guarantee)
2) You need to register in their fancy but useless web site (the support access page is deeply hiden behind fancy advertising)where you are ask all sort of irrelevant questions (like lenght and diameter), and you need to produce proof of purchase (Chrismas/birthday present don't need to apply)
3) you are given a service number which enter a lottery (My case is scheduled for Nov. 2007 !!)
5) You need to send the item packed in a special (branded) box you are suppose to receive by post in 30-40 days to the Republic of Ireland providing, of course, you have paid for this "special package"
5) Although you need to pay in advance, Apple do not guarantee that the repair will be succesfull and in case of the item needed to be replaced you'll get an used or "refurbished" item, which may or may not be similar to your item
5) Which lead to the conclusion a) buy Apple and enjoy it as long it doesn't need service b) If you do, check carefully because it may be my old (faulty) one sold to you as new...

In short, the Apple slogan is: one born every minute...

Sorry, almost forgot: Inmediatly after purchasing the item you need to register the serial number on the web site (first you need to find where!!) otherwise you forfeith the right to a guarantee...

It just confirm what I suspected for a long time: Apple and clever customer's don't mix...

Just got my grubby hands on the IRiver, looks really well made...just need to get some decent music now, my sad 70's/80's rock collection wears a bit thin after 10 mins :(

New 60gb ipod is now out...looks pretty good with a colour screen, will also hold jpegs, etc...

I 'll have a 15gb iPod for sale very shortly if anyone's interested - not used much as I've also got a 40gb one...which will now go to to another mate who wants it.

i don't get it...

someone tell me why you wouldn't go for the archos....

it does so much more than the rest and not that much more expensive.

http://www.archos.com/products/overview/av400_series.html?sid=j22ky2o2by32kokbjs2kkc

spec

TV_Cradle.gif
Pocket_VIDEO.gif
transfer_photos.gif
fm_remote.gif

* Record between 80 and up to 400 hours* of TV programs and video content from a TV, VCR, cable box, or satellite receiver using the TV cradle.
* Program recordings using the Recording Scheduler, which directly controls the VCR or set-top box tuner.
* Store and watch between 40 and up to 200* full-length movies.
* Enjoy up to 4 ½ hours of video playback on the color LCD while on the go.
* Download / transfer / record between 300 and up to 1500* hours of music.
* Store and view between 200,000 and up to one million* JPEG photos.
* Play MP3, WMA (including protected files) and WAV music files.
* Listen to and record off the radio (with optional FM Radio & Remote Control).
* Download and store files from a PC.

Capacity: From 20 to 100 GB, depending on model.
Interfaces: USB 2.0 high-speed, compatible USB 1.1, PC & Mac.Built-in CompactFlash™ Type I slot to accept CompactFlash™ memory cards and optional 4 in 1 CF adapter for SD, SM, MMC, MS and MS Pro.
Video playback: MPEG-4 SP with MP3 or ADPCM stereo sound, near DVD quality up to 704x480 @ 30 f/s, AVI file format.
Reads XviD and DivX®** 4.0 & 5.0.
Video recording: MPEG-4 SP with ADPCM stereo sound, near SVCD quality (optimised resolution for standard TV through composite video line-in) with up to 512x384 @ 30 f/s, in AVI format.
Music playback: Stereo MP3 decoding @ 30-320 kb/s CBR & VBR, WMA (including protected files), WAV (PCM & ADPCM).
Music recording: From any analog source in stereo sound in WAV format.
Voice recording with built-in microphone.
Photo viewer: JPEG (except progressive) or BMP.
Display: 3.5" to 3.8" TFT LCD depending on model and availability, (QVGA) 320x240 pixels, 262 000 colours and TV output.
AV Connections: Earphone/ Line Out jack. Built-in microphone and speaker. TV cradle to connect to TV with analog audio/video In & Out to RCA jacks, S-video In, and IR receiver for remote and IR emitter for tuner control, SCART In & Out for European version. Travel audio-video kit in option to record audio and video analog source on the move.
Battery life: 20 GB model: up to 12 hours for music or 4 hours for video on built-in LCD. Higher capacity models (up to 100 GB): up to 16 hours for music or 4 ½ hours for video on built-in LCD. Removable battery for 20 GB model.
Scalability: Download firmware updates from www.archos.com
Power source: Internal : rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries.
External : AC charger/adapter.
Dimensions: 20 GB model: approx. 12.5 x 7.8 x 2 cm (4.9" x 3.1" x 0.8")
Higher capacity models (up to 100 GB): approx. 125 x 78 x 26 mm (4.9" x 3.1" x 1").
Weight: 280 g (9.88 oz) for 20 GB model and 320 g (11.29 oz) for higher capacity models.
System requirements: PC: Pentium® III 800 MHz or higher, Windows 98 SE, ME, 2000 or XP. 64 MB RAM (128 MB recommended) with USB port and CD-ROM drive.
Mac: 9.2 or X (10.2.4) USB Manager version 1.2 or higher with USB port and CD-ROM drive.

Back
Top Bottom