Irritating ‘rattle’ going on…

Sunny Jim

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2011 TC GSA (26,000 miles) has an irritating ‘vibration’ sound going on between 2500/3000 revs on acceleration in what seems to be the area under the tank on the offside…striped all the plastics off and taken it for a spin but still can’t identify the source.

The ‘bike runs faultlessly apart from this …just had a run to Belgium/France with it going on and has no effect on ride/fuel consumption.

Any similar experiences out there.

TIA

Check that your spotlights are not touching the crash bars . Shames me to say that I had a rattle on my gsa when setting off for switzerland a few years ago ,this rattle started about 1/2 mile from the house and was worrying me all the trip ,bike was running fine so I couldn’t find out we’re it was coming from .when I got home I was cleaning the bike and discovered the lamp was touching the
bar .

I had similar with the spotlights.
Not touching the crash bars but rather the plastic housing had cracked inside.
To test, give each of the lights a sharp tap.
If they rattle there are 4 torx screws to separate the two halves of the housing and inside you will see the broken parts.
Over the years I have put in little rubber o rings and when the housing cracked further a dab of mastic seemed to work.

Had the same rattle with my Hexhead spot lights touching the crash bars. Rattle was easily rectified.

Worst one for me was the rear brake caliper spring plate had broken, allowing my rear brake pads to knock with every rotation of the rear wheel. I was in Italy and had convinced myself the driveshaft was about to fail with the ride home ahead. Big relief when I realised what it was.

Thanks for your replies everyone…i did notice the left hand side spot was touching the engine bar previously (and making the right noises) BUT the noises continued.

Been at it this afternoon and stripped the spots down and all seems ok…unable to take it for a spin for the next few days but will include taking spots off for testing.(y)

Thank goodness it’s just spot lights, I thought it was another thread about Engineer :D

I see lots got there first, extraordinary design feature allowing aux lights to be buzzing on the crash bar - mine was doing this - makes for crazy noise that sounds like the engine complaining

Back
Top Bottom