Is my broadband speed acceptable ?

guitarman

After adding to an earlier thread about broadband and commenting that I was using NTL without too many problems I've just found one.

I uprated to their 600K service last week and didn't see a very big difference so ran some broadband speed tests (at various times day and night). The fastest I've got so far is 243K. Am I missing something here or am I being ripped off ?

Cheers

Dick

Re: Not an expert

needlongerlegs said:
but is that both ways BB is asyncronus faster down than up

wot you using to measure it?

G..

nll, If you do a search on "broadband test" in jeeves there's a whole list of test applications and I've used about 4 of them.

I don't what they do but they've all come up with very similar figures (around 200K).

Hmmmm..

Cheers

Dick

The speed ntl quotes is node specific and not user specific! That meens that the 600k speed is shared with all the users connected to your node. If all the used are on at the same time the speed will drop. I hope it helps.

Regards,

Kostas

Should be able to upload @ 600 k and down oad @ 128 k

But and a big BUT this is a contention system ie your sharing the pipe with others so on your own 600 k might be possible but if next door is downloading War and Peace yer buggerd boy.

I'm not sure wot the ratio of users to pipe are on NTL but I guess its high.

G..

I'm on NTL and at peak times it CAN be difficult to log on but it has been unusual occurrance. The service in general has been as quick as my work internet access.

BTW the email service is OK but it is better to use your Outlook to point to the POP server to get all the benefits of file saving etc. Also you have to save drafts all the time with NTL because you get time-outs after a short while you will lose the text you have written if not saved.

Mark

Mark Dilloway said:
I'm on NTL and at peak times it CAN be difficult to log on but it has been unusual occurrance. The service in general has been as quick as my work internet access.

BTW the email service is OK but it is better to use your Outlook to point to the POP server to get all the benefits of file saving etc. Also you have to save drafts all the time with NTL because you get time-outs after a short while you will lose the text you have written if not saved.

Mark

Hi Mark,

After reading some of the above replies I contacted ntl who are going to check out the set top box as I'm also getting problems with the TV.

I use Eudora to handle my email so I don't get any time problems.

I must admit that if it's correct that I only get a share of the 600k service I will not be a happy bunny.

Let's see what the engineer says.

Cheers

Dick

Re: Re: Not an expert

guitarman said:
nll, If you do a search on "broadband test" in jeeves there's a whole list of test applications and I've used about 4 of them.

I don't what they do but they've all come up with very similar figures (around 200K).

Hmmmm..

Cheers

Dick

BT say half-meg in, quarter meg out...... 200K roughly might equate to 1/4 meg when divided by 1024..... etc etc etc

dodgy installs

All the above is good advice....but also check ya installation...i have NTL broadband and i'm very happy with it......but they did a crappy install...the cable is routed up from the street box into my living room, then upstairs around the front bedroom and through to a small back bedroom where i live in front of me pc heheheh.....the point is though, the coax cable installation was fekked up...the staples they put across the coax cut into it at many points, and they bent the fekker to a 90 degree angle in the corners waaaaay to tight for comfort........i borrowed *ahem* a reel of cable and plugged it in direct across the floor last week and my performance went up a lot.....then i called the service line and told them i wanted it sorted before i go to the 1mb/s feed...

mind you, even with a crap installation its still damn fast and i'd never go back to a dial-up.

;)

Installation is OK but I'm now so pissed off with the performance I'm going back to the 200K as I've not noticed any real advantage to the 600K service.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom