Italian loop along (or near) coastal roads.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am dreaming again of a long trip :sleep:. The thought of travelling around Italy appeals to me as it is a 'bucket list' item before old age deals me another bad hand.
Getting to the north is a long journey in itself so; was wondering about using Motorail but, they seem to be now defunct.
Are there any other companies doing such a service?

Has anyone done it before?
Best to go down the east or west coastal roads first?
What would I miss in central (backbone) of Italy?
Are campsites readily available (I have a couple of Apps) especially in the agricultural south?
As the south is less developed, is it cheaper?

I would assume besides Roman ruins, monasteries and rolling hills, there is not much else.
Thanks.

You're looking at a lap of the country along the coasts, but it's worth having a look at Italy's central
areas that you've mentioned. Especially the Apennine Mountains which run down the centre of the
country. I often wonder if the Pennines in the north of England were named by the Romans. I digress.

I'm loosely planning a trip to Sicily later this year and here's a suggestion for you that I'm looking at for part of your journey.
Ride to Genoa. Board the ferry to Palermo. Ride north up the center of Italy give or take a few excursions (Amalfi Coast etc).

Just some very rough ideas you could build into your plan.

Enjoy.

I have never lapped Italy’s outer edges.

From the bits I have seen, most routes down the length of the boot of Italy, seem to zig-zag across, backwards and forwards.

Back
Top Bottom