Klim Maverick

batman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I could do with a top end mid layer, I’ve been using a plug-in electric heated for years but I fancy ditching the wires etc.
I wear a Badlands Pro outer which is brilliant but on the cool side.
Has anyone got a Klim Maverick and how do you rate it.
Like all Klim gear they are quite pricey at £270 but are they worth it?

I use one of these for really cold weather.
I looked st Rukka/Klim etc and this down jacket is well made and does exactly the same job for a quarter of the price.

Fits nicely under my gear too.

IMG_2207.png

I’ve currently got a Rukka Nivala suit that has a down jacket & pants. They do the job (I ride all year), go into stuff sacks that take up minimal room & the jacket can be worn as a casual jacket. My wife has bought me a Klim Kodiak suit for Xmas & that comes with the Maverick down jacket. The Klim looks to be better quality, is 800 fill which is better than the Rukka & has seamless baffles (things that stop the down from ending up at the bottom of the jacket) so won’t catch on zips etc.
Having said all that I wouldn’t have bought it had it not come as a package with the Kodiak jacket & I would have gone with something like the Decathlon or Oxford down jackets.

I’ve a somewhat similar Belstaff down under jacket. Bought used from here. It’s warm but I still wear a heated base layer under it for much more than half an hour on the bike this time of year. Compared to a down jacket from an outdoors brand (wife wears a Rab down jacket under her bike stuff) they are expensive although the outer on the Belstaff is a lot thicker which helps, and the Belstaff anyway is cut to fit more easily under another jacket. I suspect the Klim down jacket is similar.

Primaloft and similar synthetic fills are nearly as warm and you don’t have to worry to much about getting the jacket damp (collars and cuffs inevitably get damp as can the front through your main jacket zip).

If I was in the market again I’d go for a slim fitting primaloft jacket and keep my heated base layer.

I've got the Klim carlsbad and looked at the maverick but reached the conclusion it was way overpriced and there are far cheaper at least as good options.
I settled for a TOG24 funnel duck down jacket, it fits well under the carlsbad and folds up into its own pocket if needed, in addition i also use the zerofit ultimate baselayer that's very good. You can get both of those for less than half price of the maverick.

I've got a Maverick, it was in a Black Friday type event last year, it fit's well is longer than the other bike offerings so goes well with my Marrakesh jacket, but to be totally honest, it's overpriced, I'd not buy it again, and I'd certainly not pay full retail.

There is nothing at all wrong with it, it is just overpriced for what is essentially just a down jacket with a reflective zip. For mooching around I have the Forclaz that Oldrat linked to above, and it's warmer than the Maverick, and fits just as well. Some Klim stuff is excellent and worth the price tag, the Maverick is really just an overpriced down jacket for the adventurist :)

Buy the Forclaz, spend the rest on a ferry ticket :)

Quick Edit, this is my general mooching jacket, and it is almost IDENTICAL to the Maverick

and it's £55 :)

Last edited:
Reactions: G&T
That’s all well and good, but Decathlon doesn't have the brand kudos that Rukka and Klim have.

Don’t believe the hype, IMHO the cheaper option is much better than the Klim/Rukka equivalent jackets.

But you could just take the badges off and according to Tosser history it’s likely that it’ll magically increase in value.

I could do with a top end mid layer, I’ve been using a plug-in electric heated for years but I fancy ditching the wires etc.
I wear a Badlands Pro outer which is brilliant but on the cool side.
Has anyone got a Klim Maverick and how do you rate it.
Like all Klim gear they are quite pricey at £270 but are they worth it?
Try these guys. Down Jackets from as Little as under £35.00 come with stuffing bag.

They also do 100% Merino Wool Jumpers, Polonecks at under £35 a piece in a number of fashionable colours. I have a couple of these, and I rate them. Kept me comfy in Milan last week.

Last edited:
Try these guys. Down Jackets from as Little as under £35.00 come with stuffing bag.

They also do 100% Merino Wool Jumpers, Polonecks at under £35 a piece in a number of fashionable colours. I have a couple of these, and I rate them. Kept me comfy in Milan last week.

What’s that smell ?

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Thetwatcantalk

Back
Top Bottom