Linked brakes - front brake or both?

Gog yn y De

Reaction score
The linked brakes on my old VFR required both front and back brakes to be pulled to maximise braking power. Using just the front would not utilise all the pistons in the front caliper unless the back brake was also utilised and vica-a-versa.

However, I am under the impression that by pulling on the front brake of our R1200GS, both brakes are applied to their maximum effect while using the rear alone will only operate the rear. If this is so, does it mean that I can get away with using just the front brake when braking and only use the back for stability, etc.?

Either method is fine with me - just like to get some facts right so that it's clear in my head. If using the front brake is sufficient, then I'd tend to feel that I'm back riding the fast sports bikes again where it was forbidden to use the rear brake on the track, which no longer comes natural - I'm a double puller now, you see :)

Gog yn y Dde said:

However, I am under the impression that by pulling on the front brake of our R1200GS, both brakes are applied to their maximum effect while using the rear alone will only operate the rear. If this is so, does it mean that I can get away with using just the front brake when braking and only use the back for stability, etc.?

This is correct as I understand it. Actually I think the whizzy computer may adjust the pressure applied to the rear brake as it sees fit, but in my experience this isn't really noticable. It does mean the rear pads wear down quite quickly though - check them and don't rely on them lasting the 6000 mile service interval!

With the 12gs linked system you get full braking power with just the front brake lever, the rear brake is available if your require it on its own (off road, scrubbing speed if going in to a turn a bit hot and you don't want to upset the geometry to much)

It can be difficult to retrain your reflex's but it all works out if you give it time, could be a problem if you chop and change your bikes though!

I've found it easier to adapt to the brakes than the indicators!

Regards Shep :beer:

Thanks for your help gents - just what I thought. Just need to be careful when I hop onto another bike :eek:

Had the same thing here, tried using both brakes for a while but it was of no benefit in terms of 'increased braking performance'

The rear of the 12 can lock up very easily (like a sports bike) initially (which is a nuisance when coming off the VFR) but after a while the rear brake beds in nicely and it works quite well. Of course remembering the rear is servo assisted!

I've been re-learning dragging the rear!

I'm trying to teach myself to use the front only, although I bleed a bit of back brake it just before stopped to give a smooth transition to either manouvering or coming to a complete hault.

Have found that when I've applied the front brake hard, the braking does feel optimum in terms of split front / rear i.e. the rear is just beginning to skid.

I don't see the point in training myself NOT to use the rear brake, if the system is already applying the rear to the optimum amount, I'm not doing any harm unless I overdo it and lock up. But it's just personal preference.

Mouse said:
I don't see the point in training myself NOT to use the rear brake, if the system is already applying the rear to the optimum amount, I'm not doing any harm unless I overdo it and lock up. But it's just personal preference.
Must admit I'm not doing a good job, as I still use the rear 99% of the time:) I thought that you might not get optimum balance if applying extra rear. Suppose you'll blow the rear pads in double time as well. Unless the computer compensates for you putting your foot on the back, who knows??

On heavy braking I'm consiously doing front only and it works ok.

He should probably have said "it's easy to get the ABS to kick in" :D

It's not like the ABS stops you locking up - it's more like it allows you to lock up for a moment and then releases the brakes ... then you lock up again and it releases. You definitely know it's happening.

indeed, the rear ABS is very crude compared to the front...

... it actually hurts my mechanical sympathy to try to lock the rear, because of the clonking and noise that comes from the drive train... :) But it does work.

yep - i've stamped on the rear brake 'to see what would happen'. Definately some clonking noises of some form - this also appeals to my mechanical sympathy as well:)

I've noticed the rear ABS is pretty crude as it locks and unlocks the rear wheel quite slowly. I think I could do it better myself and often think that if this were to happen at speed I would not want the wheel to unlock. Unlocking the wheel when lent over is an easy way to high side and thats not what any of us want. So I feel the rear ABS is a bit of a nuisance, the front seems much more refined and seems to come in just before the front locks up which is what I like.
The rear ABS reminds me of the early Mk1 ABS on the early K bikes whilst the front is really good, not that it comes on unless deliberately provoked.

Partially linked brakes are ace. Just grab a fistfull in an emergency, but you have the choice of using just the back for filtering and (for some) "sports" riding.

Plus ABS you can switch off.

People can moan about many things with the GS, but not the brakes.

Back
Top Bottom