Lock & chain for travel 'around Iraq'

BigCol

Back again with more q's,

I'm off on my bike travels to Jordan, Syria, Turkey & Iran and wondered what lock / chain combo is good to take with me? I was looking at getting the Oxford monster lock, but will it be too awkward / heavy for my trip?

I don't think a disc lock will suffice. Thoughts from the void please :D

Regards and thanks as usual

Colin

Edit: due SP :(

BigCol said:

I'm off on my bike travels to Jordan, Syria, Turkey & Iran and wondered what lock / chain combo is good to take with me? I was looking at getting the Oxford monster lock, but will it be too awkward / heavy for my trip?

I don't think a disc lock will suffice. Thoughts from the void please :D

Regards and thanks as usual

Colin

Edit: due SP :(

You don't reckon since there is such an abundance of these bikes in those areas that it would be rather safe to not worry about heavy duty locks & chains? I always thought these areas you would like to travel in you could probably park it pretty safe in the Hotel lobby or at the Police stations.

Interesting topic I would of only thought of once there :confused:

I would just take a normal size chain and lock and leave the rest too good faith:D

BigCol said:

I took an Oxford Monster on my trip to Italy last year. It comes with a pouch which is quite compact. I clipped it to the pillion seat with the supplied straps. I hardly noticed its presence.

Whether it will be secure enough is another matter!

Sounds good.....I got my Oxford monster 1.5mtr on its own for 89 quid a year or so ago.

If it were me, I'd taker the monster kit....there are many bags you could stash it in and lots of places on the bike you could lash the bag easily enough.....and let's face it, the big torquey pig will hardly notice the extra weight.

PS check your insurance as well..... you may well find if you don't have a recognised lock, you might well be in schtuck if it gets nicked and you didnt use it.

Thanks everyone again for your input, serious or not, I really appreciate your time out answering my questons.

Kind regards

Colin

Squire m'Lud?

The SS50CS lock with MC4 chain has done very well in tests. Now costs just over £100 - worth looking at (no complains with mine).

Great big hulking locks will advertise your lack of empathy to the good folks amongst whom you'll be travelling.

First degree theft is actually very much rarer with the people of the Book than in Europe or the US.

All the time I have worked in these countries (Turkey, Saudi Arabia and pre-Kuwait Iraq), I have never had anything purloined or even met a westerner who had.

Concentrate on being a useful part of the landscape and the respect you get will be better than any lock.

I earnestly suggest you consider going "commando".

DolledUp-X.gif

Thanks for the tip Boundless. I think a few years ago you were right, but as these countries are becoming more 'materialistic', theft is also increasing.

I've lived in Dubai for 6 years and theft is now too common to ignore. If I don't lock my car (like NO one ever used to), some thieving scumbag will take advantage. Being courteous and friendly will help when I travel, but I have to prepare for the reality of modern times. I wish it wasn't so...

Regards

colin

iran locks and stuff

hi big col
At present my bike is in a hotel yard in terhan we have the abus u lock works well easy to pack.All the bikes around tehran were locked up with some thing something.But outside the main towns life looks sweet but you never know
Hopefully fly back out next week to finish the trip

cheers nobby

I hope everything goes well Nobby.

Where have you ridden in Iran so far? Any great places or info would be appreciated

Cheers mate

colin

Abus

Abus granite gold 1.5 m this one fit,s between the center
stand and the front wheel.The only way someone could get your bike would be to lift it.You need nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom