MAC I book G4 1.2GHZ 12" what do ya reckon

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
Spured on by an offer I got from someone on this site, and the fact it'll be my second portable.

Should I try a G4. If I get one what extra software can I get for free. If I get a portable PC I can get all the software for free off the net.

Zonealarm, AVG, Spybot, Adaware, Open office....

What can I get for a MAC and is it worth it.

The G4 costs 1080Euros delivered (NEW)

For that I can get a Dell Centrino 1.4GHZ 15" screen...

I am converted!

Look here for downloads.

The main difference I have found with the Mac and Windows is that the Mac seems to be TRUE plug and play. No fecking drivers to load beforehand and making sure you have the right one ... blah blah blah...

If you buy the new iBook, it should come with iLife which is a pretty useful set of tools. example of true plug and play was with my digital camera. I just plugged it in, and iPhoto was able to download stuff off it straight out of the box. Same with Bluetooth, it immediately recognised my phone and I was able to download and upload stuff straight away!!

It has only crashed when using the the National Lottery website. Otherwise it has been very reliable.

At the end of the day, do you want to invest in a new set of software. e.g. Word processing, anti virus etc.

HTH,
T.

G4 iBook

Hi Richie,
I am a Mac fan so I would tell anyone: if you want a computer get a Mac, however the new iMac is a great machine, do you need another portable? If you do, the iBook is great, software is not a problem if you have broadband! or a Mac friend/member in GS club!
regards, Barrie

600mhz G3 iBook.........

Tough cookie - been on 4 Euro tours always in a Zega pannier and it never misses a beat. It's been pulled off a table once onto a concrete covered floor to no effect.

Only one concern in the 3 yrs I've had it and that's the battery which only lasted a year and which I've never replaced.

As for the software you mention [Zonealarm, AVG, Spybot, Adaware,] aren't they concerned with viruses etc? I've never had any problems with anything like that and I'm on broadband. I spend a lot [too much] time on line so maybe they ain't as important to a Mac user as to a Windows owner. Then again, could be I'm just lucky.

In short - recommended

Being a designer I have use both a mac G5 and a PC all day everyday :D . I prefer the mac for 'work' work, it's stable, fast, intuitive, easy and all the rest of it, and the OS and GUI become like an old friend very quickly. A mac is much more of a living breathing machine as opposed to a PC which is nothing more than the sum of it's components if that makes sense!! (Bit like a GS over a Honda maybe....)

BUT, I recently chose a PC over a mac for my home laptop - because they are cheaper, easier to cross- and up- grade, are universally supported (if you use Windows) and because software is much more easier, well, to come by shall we say!! With regard to size - just my opinion but I got an little IBM with a 12" screen - an 'ultra portable' as they are known. I love it. It's tiny but still totally usable, and I reckon anything bigger is not really portable. I can sling this thing in my bag and I hardly even know it's there, compared to missus pr0ne's Dell which is soo big and heavy that it has never left the flat!

pr0ne

FYI.

Mapsource won't run on a Mac unless you have Virtual PC. I've tried it and found it unuseable.

A real pisser.

I too was worried abot the 12" screen. In the end I've found it to be no problem at all.

Russ

OK Guys said this before but mapsource is all sorted on my current centrino 15"4 screen super portable.

I suppose I could always buy a second screen some day for home use with the G4. I'm starting to like the idea. Maybe I'll end up being a mac lover...

iBook software

richie,

drop me an email, if you decided to buy the iBook, for software. I have few spare copies ;-)

Ok here is another one. My centrino PC is connected to the net via a USB Modem. Can I use its Wifi with the Ibook wifi(airport) to enable the second "machine" onto the net as well.

Wireless connection is real easy. I use a Belkin wireless broadband router (£47) to connect a powerbook, imac and ibook to a broadband line and also found the imac, which is ethernet wired to the router act as a server and allows wireless printer access from the powerbook. I'm not sue if the iBook comes with a wireless network card fitted and you would be looking for the faster Airport Extreme anyway, which is a real easy job.

Only comes with 256Mb RAM, but that can be upgraded easily enough from Crucial or the like - don't buy it from Apple as it's a lot more expensive.

I've been using macs since 1985 so can't compare the experience with windoze.

But .. mainly because of the low market share there are no viruses or spyware currently affecting new or up to date macs. The scrotes can have more fun more quickly writing windows malware.

Of course you'll need to be careful about what you install but the unix core of the os (which means you have to approve any sneakware that wants to install itself) and Apple's regular security updates keep things safe.

I've never had a problem joining any wireless or ethernet network, however served; even in internet cafés where the staff won't believe that you can just plug and play with a Mac.

And if you need to 'evaluate' any software before you buy your own copy please PM me. I've been 'evaluating' lots of 'demo' cds I got in a Russian street market for a while. You can also use Limewire to download software in the usual fashion.

I'm still looking, tried a mates powerbook G4 last week. Quite nice but I will have to get my head around the "simple" interface.

BTW tried IE on his MAC (Crap) then ran Opera the difference in speed was incroyable...

Richie - try 12" PowerBook G4 too. Made from anodized duraluminium, the same that airplanes are. Resistant lightweight space age stuff (accutally the only aluminium made laptop on the market). I had a new 15" model before, was a bitbit too big for my tankbag, so i swiched to a 12" model and found it's ideal road-companion.

It's smaller and lighter than 12" iBook. Has more performance to offer. But indeed, the iBook has slightly better price/performance i think. But under the name PowerBook you pay for what you'll get. Both are portables lé excellence, no matter what you'll end up with.

Aand about IE - fu*k it as all other bulky mr. MS software! Apple's own Safari is a kickass modern webrowser - G4/G5 optimized, fast - try one now!!! :beerjug:

Mo - sent MS Gates to hell after 6 years using it, and never going back to it and never-ever regret the switch to mac platform. :D

Probably going to order the ibook in the next few days. The powerbook is to expensive for me.

What can I use as a wordprocessor and spreadsheet program. Has anyone installed openoffice on a mac???

Can I use any old USB mouse on a mac. (I know they only use one button)

Any other software that I should get old of????

richie said:
Probably going to order the ibook in the next few days. The powerbook is to expensive for me.

What can I use as a wordprocessor and spreadsheet program. Has anyone installed openoffice on a mac???

You'll get AppleWorks together with new iBook, it has Word/Excel import/export. And if you don't do any complicated documentworks, then AW is a better to work with than MS Office analogues.

Yes, there are OO version for Mac too. And a tonz of others free/shareware stuff avaliable.

Btw, pros say that MS own latest Office 2004 is better on mac version than on wintel version! (some convincing if you decide to go for original MS bits)

Can I use any old USB mouse on a mac. (I know they only use one button)

Yep - all USB stuff works w/o drivers - you can use all of them. And you'll find mac is a way superior in plug'n'play.

And you can program all the 3 to 8 buttons, scrolls etc etc in combinations for mac too if the mouse producer has drivers for mac available.

Any other software that I should get old of????

take www.versiontracker.com -> MacOSX, just search for the software you need - all Windowza equivalents are available mostly.

Good luck discovering the brand new and astonishing mac computing world! :beerjug:

Mo

Ta Mo,

Funnily enough virtual PC I don't think I'll need. I want to use it as a MAC not as a PC. (I already have one) So I'm intersted in everything MAC rather than anything else.

Having said that I have heard that Mapsource works fine with OSX.3 but I guess they mean via virtual PC.

Näh, VPC mostly suck - coz Winza in MacOS looks a way ugly! Good thing about it is that if Windowza crashes, witch Winza does often anyway - you just close the VPC window and work on with MacOS. :D

But some very speciefic soft (eg. the GPS unit with own special soft) may need VPC-Winza support.

But sure look for equivalents - mostly you'll find the same or even better thing from other small brave programming company - lot of new OSX native and OSX-only software companies in the market that mostly do stunning work.

Btw - you may open a bottle of shampagne if your MacOSX ever crashes on OS level - a truly unique and rare event. Programs may crash, you just quit, but OS itself almost never. I get two to three OS crashes per year and my comp works 24/7 :p And most crashes are by my own fault - disk sucked full or buging with fake multimedia software - you'll find bullet proof OS too in mac.

Mo

richie said:
Ta Mo,

Funnily enough virtual PC I don't think I'll need. I want to use it as a MAC not as a PC. (I already have one) So I'm intersted in everything MAC rather than anything else.

Having said that I have heard that Mapsource works fine with OSX.3 but I guess they mean via virtual PC.

Back
Top Bottom