Mapsource Updates

John Armstrong

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Are now available for ordering here: http://www.garmin.com/unlock/update.jsp

The Garmin site doesn't seem to have a viewer for the update to see if the M6 Toll is no longer classified as a cart track.

For those who have only recently bought a GPSR this is the $100 update for the maps that you route along and see. Nothing to do with how Mapsource works out what route you want to do which is currently at 6.5 beta. HTH.

City Select Europe v7 is on the update page but the map viewer is still showing v6

Anybody got thought on what we will gain with v7, v6 gave us a massive improvement on Norway mapping which was no better than base mapping previously.
I know Ireland is still some way off completion, and Spain certainly could do with improving.

Hi...I want to know how it works with this update...if you bought a BMW Navigator and got the maps for Europe, but v.6, you have to pay 100 dollars to get this updated version of Map Source? I think it should be for free once you have bought this expensive device...

*TRANCEDANCER*

Trancedancer said:
Hi...I want to know how it works with this update...if you bought a BMW Navigator and got the maps for Europe, but v.6, you have to pay 100 dollars to get this updated version of Map Source? I think it should be for free once you have bought this expensive device...

*TRANCEDANCER*

Ask your dealer? :D :D :D :D And when they stop laughing and tell you how much better your navigator is compared to the Streetpilot, you can ask them what the extra initial cost got you. Apart from the 2 year waranty and BMW badge.

I think that CN allows turn by turn autorouting and will allow calculation in the GPS to work out a route from waypoints poi's etc that has not been calculated previously outside the GPSR. CS is visually the same (POI's etc) but won't allow calculation in the GPS, and lets you see when it's time to turn.

No

Both City Select and City Navigator Europe will perform auto-routing both in the GPS and on the PC.
Both have identical visual mapping and POI.

It is a very good question tho.

Best we can tell CN will say onscreen turn right into Smith Street and CS will say turn right,
also CN will position you in the correct lane ahead of a turn and CN has sightly better roundabout instruction.
It would be good if we knew exactly what the differences were but Garmin ain't saying (except that CN is optimised for the StreetPilots and CS is for everything else).
CN is a far bit more expensive.

You can run either on any auto-routing GPS and both will give you good 'turn by turn' instructions.

Mr Garmins view on Europe:

City Select:

Trip and waypoint management functions**.
Contains updated detailed maps of major metropolitan areas throughout Western Europe
Access to the entire CD-ROM coverage.
Includes detailed maps containing motorways, national and regional thoroughfares and local roads with attributes such as turn restrictions, speed categories and other navigation features.
Displays points of interest such as food and drink, lodging, border crossings, petrol stations, hospitals and more.
Software that automatically creates point-to-point routes in MapSource on the GPS V, GPSMAP 196, NavTalk® GSM phone, iQue, GPSMAP 60C , GPSMAP 60CS and GPSMAP 276C.

City Navigator:

Trip and waypoint management functions**
Contains updated detailed maps of major metropolitan areas throughout Western Europe
Access to the entire CD-ROM coverage
Includes detailed maps containing motorways, national and regional thoroughfares and local roads with attributes such as turn restrictions, roundabout guidance, speed categories and other navigation features
Displays points of interest such as food and drink, lodging border crossings, petrol stations, hospitals, and more
Will automatically create point-to-point routes in MapSource® and on the StreetPilot III, StreetPilot® 2610 and StreetPilot 2650.

**These functions of this product work with nearly all Garmin® GPS units, excluding the GPS 100 family and panel mount aviation units.

Back
Top Bottom