Matte paint

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there a specific polish i should be using or am i ok with Autoglym super resin polish.

Thanks Doc

I’ve always been told you should not use traditional polish or sealants on matte paint. The story I was told was that it would change the appearance of it. I’ve a matte finished triumph and just steered clear of polish.

Is there a specific polish i should be using or am i ok with Autoglym super resin polish.

Thanks Doc
I have some matte sealant and matte detailing spray for sale if you're interested.

There is a common misunderstanding regarding what is "polish"

In automotive terms polish is an abrasive compound used to remove defects from the paint surface like scratches and swirls that you use with a polishing pad together with a DA or Rotary polisher to return the surface to a high gloss finish. These should never be used on matt paint as it then turns the matt appearance of your paint into a gloss/satin one that you can't then return to a matte finish unless you have it resprayed.

What many would call "polish" is in fact either a wax (organic based) or a sealant ( a synthetic alternative)

Last edited:

Thanks Doc
I know folk with Hondas have to use a specific polish or damages the matte paint.
It may be worth talking to someone like Mac’s auto detailing in Leigh to get a more complete answer.

I have some matte sealant and matte detailing spray for sale if you're interested.

There is a common misunderstanding regarding what is "polish"

In automotive terms polish is an abrasive compound used to remove defects from the paint surface like scratches and swirls that you use with a polishing pad together with a DA or Rotary polisher to return the surface to a high gloss finish. These should never be used on matt paint as it then turns the matt appearance of your paint into a gloss/satin one that you can't then return to a matte finish unless you have it resprayed.

What many would call "polish" is in fact either a wax (organic based) or a sealant ( a synthetic alternative)
Thanks I'm going to look into it more.

I know folk with Hondas have to use a specific polish or damages the matte paint.
It may be worth talking to someone like Mac’s auto detailing in Leigh to get a more complete answer.
Cheers Steve I'll speak to them although they do have specific stuff on there website.

Thanks I'm going to look into it more.
You're welcome.

If you don't know this already a gloss surface is created by poilishing the top paint layer (the lacquer in modern acrylic paints) to a mirror finish. This allows the light to be reflected back off the paint in a uniform way to create the gloss (mirror) appearance. Matte paint has a rough surface (at a microscopic level) this then reflects the light back to the viewer at different angles so you don't get the reflections (think of a lake on a windless day and the reflections you get vs when the wind is blowing where you get none) Autoglym Resin Polish contains fillers to enhance and help restore a gloss finish so should not be used on matte paint.

Reactions: Doc
Here you go Doc

I researched this a while ago when I looked at a scoot with matt blue paint. There are plenty of related videos, many based on either Harley paint or caring for matt wraps on cars.

Lots of products on Amazon from all the major automotive detailing brands.

On my matt GS I used Vulcanet wipes

They are quite impressive, also good on pretty much every part of the bike
I have some of that.
Here you go Doc

I researched this a while ago when I looked at a scoot with matt blue paint. There are plenty of related videos, many based on either Harley paint or caring for matt wraps on cars.

Lots of products on Amazon from all the major automotive detailing brands.
Thanks I'll have a watch.

@Doc
Have you considered getting it wrapped in paint protection film ?
My pal Joe had it done on a Harley as the matte paint chipped easily.
I got the wing done by invisible patterns ( next to the other place I mentioned)
Very good service and result.

I use the Harley stuff (below), but any matte paint polish will do...

Reactions: Doc
I used to use Harley Sunshine Wash on RKS .
Now use Autoglym Pure shampoo on Wing .
Never polished either as why would you want to polish a matte finish ?

@Doc
Have you considered getting it wrapped in paint protection film ?
My pal Joe had it done on a Harley as the matte paint chipped easily.
I got the wing done by invisible patterns ( next to the other place I mentioned)
Very good service and result.
Not really thought about that Steve.

Decided to give the chemical guys stuff a go.
Thanks for the info lads.

Glass cleaner (not the abrasive polish just standard liquid spray ) gives a perfect finishScreenshot_20240325-064705_Google.jpg

Back
Top Bottom