Mod advice for a tall of roader.

ExpatinIstanbul

Registered user
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
39
Location
Istanbul
OFF roader.....bloody keyboard.

I'm looking to set up my '05 GS for a spot of off roading, nothing too serious but a bit of standing will be in order.

First I need bar risers, as I'm 6'4" and have to stoop uncomfortably when standing. Any riders here off the same height got any and how much extra have they lifted the bars?

Second, pegs. Along with my unfeasibly tall frame, I have gargantuan feet which in MX boots (size 12) make for a foot surface area the size of Wales. Which pegs would be best?

Third, replacement bar levers / gear & brake levers, are they worth going for bearing in mind my dispatch rider nickname used to be Crasher?

And lastly, has anyone fitted upper crash protectors and are they useful?

Cheers!
 
That's me.

I use 3" Touratech bar risers with Pro taper fat bars - they are much stragihter and much more comfortabe than stock. Oh and fastway pegs. Not perfect but reasonable comfortable for both off and on-road. I also have a higher than standard seat that makes the transition from sitting to standing easier.

I really should just get a KTM 640 ADV and use that - they fit me pretty well.

Nin

OFF roader.....bloody keyboard.

I'm looking to set up my '05 GS for a spot of off roading, nothing too serious but a bit of standing will be in order.

First I need bar risers, as I'm 6'4" and have to stoop uncomfortably when standing. Any riders here off the same height got any and how much extra have they lifted the bars?

Second, pegs. Along with my unfeasibly tall frame, I have gargantuan feet which in MX boots (size 12) make for a foot surface area the size of Wales. Which pegs would be best?

Third, replacement bar levers / gear & brake levers, are they worth going for bearing in mind my dispatch rider nickname used to be Crasher?

And lastly, has anyone fitted upper crash protectors and are they useful?

Cheers!
 
If your anyway handy in the workshop you can do a lot yourself to make it more suitable for taller a rider.
I'm 6'6" wi 36" legs.
I widened & lowered the pegs about 1.5", also made them swivel, raised the seat about 1" and put an Airhawk pad under the seat cover, about another 0.5".
I haven't done anything wi the bars as I haven't yet been off road, but these wee mods give me another 3" leg room between crutch and pegs.

millard

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/drillam/BMW/?action=view&current=DSC06693.jpg

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/drillam/BMW/?action=view&current=DSC06619.jpg

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/drillam/BMW/?action=view&current=DSC06703.jpg

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a340/drillam/BMW/?action=view&current=DSC06701.jpg
 
"If your anyway handy in the workshop". Yes, well, the less said about that the better.

I do have an airhawk, and I think I saw a thread about one being inserted under the cover....which was probably you. I'm a big fan of them but I don't think I want to even try a fairly simple mod as that, as I am utterly rubbish with my hands. I'm really looking for bolt-on solutions that require little in the way of knowledge, or that if I get into trouble with, I can call on a mate or two to help with.

I think I've decided on the fastway pegs now. I've been reading a huge thread on ADV Rider about them, and it seems as though they'll suit nicely. So now I need to think about bar risers and which height to go for. As I'm rather long in the leg I'm thinking the highest I can find would be best, but only if no extra cabling is required.
 
Pegs.

Get fastways, you will find that they are brilliant, standing up for long periods it's like standing on the floor so secure. I road the length of the Dalton Highway and back very comfortable get these and you won't go far wrong.
If buyibng from TT allow a year and you should be ok!. (not a joke).
dave gs.
 
"If your anyway handy in the workshop". Yes, well, the less said about that the better.

I do have an airhawk, and I think I saw a thread about one being inserted under the cover....which was probably you. I'm a big fan of them but I don't think I want to even try a fairly simple mod as that, as I am utterly rubbish with my hands. I'm really looking for bolt-on solutions that require little in the way of knowledge, or that if I get into trouble with, I can call on a mate or two to help with.

I think I've decided on the fastway pegs now. I've been reading a huge thread on ADV Rider about them, and it seems as though they'll suit nicely. So now I need to think about bar risers and which height to go for. As I'm rather long in the leg I'm thinking the highest I can find would be best, but only if no extra cabling is required.

You will need a longer front brake hose, and depending on your screen/handgaurds you might need to make a bigger cut out in your screen to stop them fouling on full lock. I used a router, it worked fine.

Nin
 
I am 6' 8" and thiking about buying an 1150 Adventure, and selling my (now well set up for a tall guy) Africa twin. I have an excellent set of risers from Nippy Normans, they are adjustable for height and reach, cost about £60.

Have you guys had any trouble with turbulence over the screen, and if so can you recommend a solution?
 
I'm going for the Givi screen for road riding and something smaller for off road. The Givi seems to be a generally approved by the many owners who've gone for it. It's fairly cheap too.
 
like the guys said get risers and footpegs,you wont need the airhawk offroad cos you'll be stood up,as for levers i've never seen one break and i 'd take the screen off for offroad but THE most important thing for the 1150 is stanton head guard's,ive tested them loads of times:thumb

loz
 


Back
Top Bottom