More comfort for lanky gits - what have you done?

• Thread starter AdventureCleverly
  • Start date

AdventureCleverly

Searching through the threads it seems that the options are:

Screen - bigger and wider
Seat - Melvin, Corbin or whatever just change it! Maybe add a sheepskin
Bars higher
Pegs lower
Various wind deflectors

Anything else?

What have you done, what's worked, what's been the most effective for least cash?

How big are you?

I'm 6'3, 16 stone

I've fitted a Cee Baileys screen, taller and wider - its an improvement but not the solution I'd hoped to buffeting.

I'm getting my seat done by Melvin.

Not sure about the rest hence my question, planning a couple of big trips as soon as my arm has fixed itself so all advice welcome!;)

Looking at this whole business again with the hack bike in mind. Seems to me if you raise the seat height then you need to raise screen, and bars to compensate, whereas if you get the changes in below the seat height (i.e. footpeg lowering) you don't.

Having said that I'm 6ft and those big buggers like the Prof have done all of them. Yet Commuter (about your height) doesn't have a problem with standard seat and pegs.:confused:

But you're also on an ADV which I image makes a difference again. I reckon in your situation, tall bugger and ADV you need to talk to Mike O

6' 5"

So far I've just fitted the footpeg lowering kit from Motorworks. Made a big improvement to comfort but has led to feet and pegs grounding occasionally.

May try a different screen but my lid is due for changing (Arai Quantum F) and I'll wait on the screen 'til I've bought to a quieter lid. Logic is this: if a quieter lid brings the noise below the annoying threshold I won't bother faffing about with the screen, because posts elsewhere here suggest there is no surefire cure to the screen buffeting problem.
BLL

6'6" and 17 stone...

On an Adv with tartyspec lower footpegs and bar risers and awaiting tobers new development for the screen.

6'6" & 'kin heavy.

I've fitted footpeg lowerers* (Verholen), swapped the Adv seat & rack for a std GS one (high setting) - then had it Melvyned and made an inch higher (& heated :D); fitted Ricardo Kuhn's Pro-taper handlebars, an MRA Vario Screen and a tobinator.

Can't say I've noticed much difference, to be honest.....:yelrotflm

* Not sure that this is a word

6ft 1 - built for comfort not speed

Standard seat in highest position. Wunderlich screen (quite a bit bigger than std) tilted quite far back with Tobinators

Bugger me there's a lot of us big blokes about!!!

6'4 and 19 stone :)

Hi Mike O

Can I just ask what you think of the Pro Taper bars from Ricardo, the reason why I'm asking is because I have just ordered a set and I'm curious to know just how good they are ?
Reports seem good to date.

S J SAVAGE said:
Hi Mike O

Can I just ask what you think of the Pro Taper bars from Ricardo, the reason why I'm asking is because I have just ordered a set and I'm curious to know just how good they are ?
Reports seem good to date.

Very happy with them. I get no vibration through the bars now, and the bike just seems much lighter when manoeuvring - it's a little difficult to work out why :D
I got them to cure a problem with a trapped nerve in my neck, due, my Chiro reckoned, to poor posture when riding. Never had a problem since fitting the bars....

Mike:)

ps Here's a pic of my wheely-bin - partially obscured by my Ricky Bars. In this pic they have a crossbar fitted, which I've since removed (apparently they don't let the bars flex & take away half of the anti-vibration damping effect). I fitted the crossbar to have somewhere to mount the GPS, but have since fitted a RAM mount....

Attachments

• adventure\'s homecoming 005.jpg
    adventure\'s homecoming 005.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 306
can it be true?

surely fritz and myself aren't the only gs'ers under 12 stone?

d:gringo

Re: can it be true?

Corsican Dave said:

And that tash must account for half of it!

Bin

Nice wheelie bin. Looks like a fairly recent Mk8 with lateral stability controls, additional capacity and smooth-run wheels.

Re: Bin

Tobers said:
Nice wheelie bin. Looks like a fairly recent Mk8 with lateral stability controls, additional capacity and smooth-run wheels.

Nah, it's a Mk7, with the Wunderlich kit fitted.

bin

Oh yeah - you're right. It does have a Touratech GPS mount which I thought was only available with the Mk8 version. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Interloping Tash

Corsican Dave said:

The question is what are you doing on the 'lanky' thread? :D

Hope you are well, how's the season going up in Braemar?

Richard

hi rich,

the season is slooooow: but the off-roading is WICKED!! get up here!

all the best

d:gringo (aka short - arse @ 5' 11")

I'm 6ft 1" with long arms.

Had melvin make the seat thicker and half an inch higher at the front and scoop half an inch out at the back this sets the riding position more upright just right for my arms, amazing what such a small change can do.

Back
Top Bottom