Morning folks

SimpleSimon

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm currently without a bike and looking to get back into it after around 7 years of purely car ownership. Prior to that I got into bikes from the naked street bike scene, but then transitioned to having a bike as a necessary only form of transport, covering 600-odd miles a week of commuting. I also enjoyed riding with the local RoSPA advanced riders and would probably like to get back into that (albeit with a different group, as I've now moved). I'll be starting to use a bike at work quite soon, and I think it's likely to make me miss, unbearably, having a bike of my own. Obviously the GS is hugely popular, and the "adventure tourer" style very much appeals to my older and wiser self as a bike that will do it all, from the simple commute, the "long way home" commute, a quick hour out at the weekend or a whole day mini-tour.

Anyway, I'm still working out what bike I'd like! I've arrived at the possibility of a 1200GS via thoughts of a Tiger 800, VFR800X Crossrunner, KTM 390 Adventure, Tiger 1050, VFR1200X Crosstourer, V-Strom... All different, and all similar!

The GS obviously has a massive following and it's probably "the" adventure bike that comes to mind first....

Anyway, I'll just poke about on here if you don't mind, and see if I can convince myself into or out of looking for a GS!

Greetings Simon & welcome to the forum.....:thumb2

As a subscriber, you have access to all areas of the forum, so poke around to your hearts content.

As for which bike.....consider what you're going to be using it for, then go & test ride loads.

As above, then think about your budget, a 10 years and older GS will cost roughly the same as a 6 year old VFR 1200, or a brand new KTM 390. (All very roughly speaking) A lot to think about!

As above, then think about your budget, a 10 years and older GS will cost roughly the same as a 6 year old VFR 1200, or a brand new KTM 390. (All very roughly speaking) A lot to think about!

Yes indeed, budget will definitely come into play. Unfortunately I'm not yet sure what my budget will be either!
I'm awaiting the outcome of an insurance claim on my car (Defender) which has already dragged on far longer than I'd like... Long story short, there wither writing it off, in which case I'm buying a different car and a bike. Or if they repair it I'm selling it... Then buying a different car and a bike!

Well for now Simon welcome to all things UKGSer :thumby:

You're amongst friends :thumb

The 'adventure' is not in the 'bike, but in your mind ;)

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom