Moto-Morocco Video Taster

MikeP

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead)
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Very rough cut of DVD to come. (I tried to add this in the latest ride report but for some reason the embed won't work there! :confused:)

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/onde3xENtss&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/onde3xENtss&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Brilliant Mike!

Watching that takes me right back to the trip - can't wait to see the final cut!

Anders

Another one.

Someone's sense of direction went AWOL. :augie

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZ4wDKcRozc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZ4wDKcRozc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

(Shame YouTube buggers-up the quality).

Last one for now (until I learn how to share via bitorrent or whatever it's called).

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3wScbtpy-A4&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3wScbtpy-A4&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Great clips....but, er, aren't one and three the same but with different :guitarist?? :confused:

:blast

:kissy2

This is the correct one........

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLZdIy7pL-g&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WLZdIy7pL-g&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Wow... missed this in the post 'travel to Quebec' rush...

Great vids Mike... gives me a chance to see some of the terrain we rode through! :eek: (as opposed to having eyes locked on the sandy bit to the front...)

Al...

Cheers Al.

The DVD is coming along well. I've made the final cut's to the sections up to the Foum Zguid to Zagora day, they're all queued-up ready for burning.

I think the whole thing, up to the return to the "Manure" in Marrakech, will run to two discs.

It's heavy on piste footage so far (except for the fesh-fesh section - too much dust on the camera lenses!), mainly for the reason you mention; there's a better opportunity to see the scenery. I've added some of your footage.

I've shown the completed sections to some non-biker friends and family, they seemed to enjoy them.

I'll be in touch for everyone's addresses fairly soon, then you can get into your bike gear, turn up the heating and re-ride the trip! ;)

Mike,

Great Vids - are you using the bullet cam / archos setup? Really enjoyed No#3 , some sandy sections that brought back memories :thumb2

Steve,

Two bullet-cams. One fixed on the bike and one on my lid (I can select which camera remotely) and recording to mini-DV tape on a Sony HandyCam.

I'll send you a copy of the finished DVD if you like. You will recognise most of the routes from September but we did do it the other way around (I was tempted to call the DVD; Wrong Way Round but that would be too naff!).

I'd be interested in your views. I'm thinking of offering copies to anyone who wants to fork out £7.50 (£2.50 to cover P&P and the discs etc. and a fiver to a UKGSer charity).

I've just watched Long Way Down on DVD and my stuff is much better (no whinging about missing families etc.!) :p :augie

Steve,

Two bullet-cams. One fixed on the bike and one on my lid (I can select which camera remotely) and recording to mini-DV tape on a Sony HandyCam.

I'll send you a copy of the finished DVD if you like. You will recognise most of the routes from September but we did do it the other way around (I was tempted to call the DVD; Wrong Way Round but that would be too naff!).

I'd be interested in your views. I'm thinking of offering copies to anyone who wants to fork out £7.50 (£2.50 to cover P&P and the discs etc. and a fiver to a UKGSer charity).

I've just watched Long Way Down on DVD and my stuff is much better (no whinging about missing families etc.!) :p :augie

I like that Idea :thumb2

Just a thought....I've had a couple of auctions on Ebay for vouchers for money off trips, and I've been doing 20% of final selling price to Riders For Health....Ideally I would have liked to support Bansang Hospital because of my history there but Riders is known internationally and they do good work very closely related to what we were doing at Bansang- so I decided to make them the 'official' charity that Moto Morocco will support :thumb2

Can't wait to see more :) :clap

Mike / Fanum

Those routes taken in the videos above ... is that what you would call as the level 1 riding Morroco ?

What you see in the vids was just the start (of level 1)... he upped the level as the days progressed... Kept us challenged each and every day... (but the chaufered Landy day)

But in my case at least, it was a controlled progression... exactly what one wants in a trip of this kind....

Al...

Mike / Fanum

Those routes taken in the videos above ... is that what you would call as the level 1 riding Morroco ?

Yes.....and Al answered it even better above :thumb2

You'd have been fine on the trip Karen.

We can sort out a DVD for you if you want to see some more?
:)

the camera work is really steady, was the "bike-cam" damped at all? - very smooth !

Steve,

I use a Dogcam mount on my helmet. Basically it's just a rubber suction cup with a P-clip attached.

I spent many hours this year playing with various mounts for the bike-mounted cam. The best, steadiest, results were another Dogcam suction mount on the side of the tank. The problems with this are (for me) that it means setting-up two cameras each time, getting the angle right is not easy because of the shape of the tank and when I'm likely to be using the video set-up for my own trips I'd normally have tank-panniers in the way.

I tried various Ram mounts in different positions. Also just the P-Clip bolted somewhere handy. All were susceptible to road shock and the 1150 vibe at 5,000 rpm.

In the end I have found that the P-Clip attached to the Touratech fog-lamp guard seems to damp out all but the very worst vibes.

Unfortunately, I have had to ditch most of the Tinehir Piste footage as that was too bouncy. Shame, as it was some of the most spectacular (from the point of view of the track surface).

If there is a problem with the bullet cams it's that they are fixed focal length and they are also prone to sunlight flaring. I have a polarizing filter but can't work out which would be the best to fit it to!

Duchess,

As Al has said, that last trip was a gradual increase in difficulty based upon the competency of the group. We started off on a couple of very easy pistes, the first was mainly a graded section followed by a longish track through a village. There were no difficult gradients or surfaces to contend with.

In all honesty, none of it is very difficult in itself. The testing bit is the length of the days.

There are no great distances involved but the nature of the country means that it takes three to four times as long to cover any distance that you'd manage in most of Europe. The increased mental effort (just riding, never mind riding on pistes) is the primary reason that individuals might find it a challenge.

Lots of breaks are taken for photo-opportunities and just to rest-up but the mental exhaustion can affect riders sooner than physical tiredness.

It's something that few people factor-in, the fact that many riders are not used to doing long days. Those who are used to doing long days sometimes can underestimate the debilitating effects upon others. It's one of the reasons why Bill prefers to have a tail-end rider if possible and why optional no-riding rest-days are factored into the itinerary (whenever I go off on one of my 'jaunts' I usually take a day off every few days and just doss around re-charging my clapped-out batteries!).

In my opinion, it's a challenge that is worth the effort.

As 'tail-end charlie' I watched all the riders from start to finish. I saw a huge improvement in their confidence, both on and off road, as the days passed.

I think that even the most experienced riders gained. The least experienced gained the most.

thanks for sharing, your video are wonderfull.

In order to add at what you write previously, it's more challenging with an heavy bike like a GS, I've got a 650GS but I decided to take my 400XR for my Moroccan trip.
Respect for that.

Eric
http://two400xrinmorocco.blogspot.com/

Rider's for Health charity

Hi Mike

Just had a browse of the video's and would be more than happy to buy a copy when you have them ready for sale and help support a worth while charity.

:beerjug:

Schultz

Back
Top Bottom