new owner questions

steve1968

After looking for a 1100/1150 gs for quite a while i decided on the cheaper option of the 650 gs,altough being very happy with the build quality, brakes , handling etc the engine does seem to have some funny characteristic's, i.e the tickover dropping to 2000 and then down to 1400rpm on shut off, and twice today the engine just stopping when i shut the throttle, the clucth also feels abit snappy .
Are these things typical of this model ?
its a 2000 gs (twin exhaust ) with 17k on the clock , about 1k off the next service.
Any ideas or is this just normal?
steve

I have had the same things happen to me, i.e. the engine has cut out on numerous occasions and the tickover can sometimes feel like its either too fast or too slow. I have been told its my riding and nothing to do with the bike, but perhaps now a certain person might listen to me (VERN). Oh and my bike has only done approx 8000 miles and the speedo and abs sensor has gone tits up, has this happened to anyone aswell.:confused:

The 650 is fairly well known for hot starting problems which generally present just as you describe. Ususally a restart, including turning the ignition off, does the trick but if you are having a particularly bad episode I have used the method, suggested in another site, of turning the throttle to full on quickly and letting go three times in a row with the engine turned off resets something or other and the problem goes away for a while.
Appart from that occassional problem I've had no problems over the past year or so with my Dakar (11,000 miles). I'm dreading the 12,000 mile service though as its a biggie.

Regards
Andy80F

Andy80F said:
letting go three times in a row with the engine turned off resets something or other and the problem goes away for a while.

i had that problem on the way back from visiting my sister in holland this year, with only 3,500 on the clock and reg'd in march this year. dealership told me that i shouldnt have put higher octane unleaded in it because it can upset the fuel system.

after its 5000 service a couple of months ago, its been perfectly fine, only thing is my speedo now tells me im doing 120mph down oakham high street, and my clock turns in to a rev counter now and again..... with respect , they do have another instrument panel for me ... i just havent got round to getting in fixed

the speedo and abs sensor has gone tits up, has this happened to anyone as well

Yep. And like Matron my speedo turned into my rev counter.

All changed under warranty. Not an altogether unsual problem by the sound of it.

I found problems with the engine cutting out when I closed the throttle, which happened if I'd stalled it - which I did a few times when I first got it, as being a single you need to give it a bit more revs until you're used to it ( or used to a 4 cyl bike)

If it kept cutting out, I just stopped turned the ignition off, then on again and everything would be fine from then on.

Lucy said:
the tickover can sometimes feel like its either too fast or too slow.....the speedo and abs sensor has gone tits up,
The ABS sensor affects the engine slow-running speeds and the speedo, as that's where the signal comes from to control those items. Please go to your dealer and ask for it to be replaced under warranty.

Ask for 'BMW Customer Services' to become involved and I'm sure you'll reach a satisfactory solution. If not post back here again.

Cheers ..... Trevor, Bristol, UK. Dedicated F650 website for UK & Ireland owners

Andy80F said:
I have used the method, suggested in another site, of turning the throttle to full on quickly and letting go three times in a row
Andy, the *Chain Gang FAQs* are wrong there. That is the official recommendation for the BIG BMWs which use a different type of electronics to the F650GS and some BMW Mechanics have incorrectly passed on that information to some F650GS owners, hence the confusion.

To reset the F650GS and Scarver unit, you simply disconnect the battery for a few minutes and that resets the unit. No restarting the engine till the fan comes on, that's only for upgrades. Just a simple disconnect ... that's it :cool:

Cheers .... Trevor, Bristol, UK. Dedicated F650 website for UK & Ireland owners

Steve,
the gap between the speedo/ABS pick up and sensor plate is critical (0.1mm to 1mm). If its wrong the speedo (and all the electrical jiggery pokery:) ) will get confused. If your bike has had the updated software this will have an effect on the running of the engine as the wheel (bike) speed sets the tickover idle (it's held artificially high at low speeds and doesn't settle down til the bikes stopped).

To cure rough tickovers when you first turn the ignition on DON'T twist the throttle until the engines started. There is a sensor which records where 'closed throttle' is (sometime during start up!).I find waiting til the oil light extinguishes before starting the engine helps too. Sometimes I forget, the bike runs rough, so I just switch off ignition and start with the above procedure - fixed.:D

As Trevor mentioned the routing of the early 650s clutch cable wasn't well thought out - check your routing against a newer one.

A word of warning for when/if you let B*W service your bike - the chain will be adjusted too tight! Too many years dealing with shaft drives I suppose :D

Good luck

Hi Steve,

a mate of mine had problems with his F650GS either running rough or stalling when on very small throttle openings, at low speeds. I used it for two weeks without a single problem, he used it again and the problems returned. The only thing different that I noticed was with his starting technique. Williams' told me always to start the bike without touching trhe throttle at all and to keep the starter button held in for about 4 seconds before letting go. This I've always done on my bike and haven't had problems. My mate tried the same routine and since then his bike's been fine. So why not try this option before going into anything too deep?

Good luck

Regards

Reggie (AKA The Cameraman)

I think the thread is over emphasising the problems with the 650GS. In reality the throttle problem, at least for me, is an uncommon one and does little to spoil the bike. I would buy another without hesitation.

Regards
Andy80F

I have notice a fluctuation of the tickover a few times although it has never cut out completely. It seems to happen randomly. After shutting down the throttle it will sometimes run at about 2500 rpm slowly returning to 2000 and not returning to around 1500 until the bike is stationary. Revving the bike seems to make no difference and it clears itself just as suddenly as it arrives.

What also seems strange is that my drive has a downward gradient and with the bike ticking over on choke. as I roll backwards down the drive the revs drop noticeably only to pick up again when the bike stops.

Liv said:
:)
I don't have any problem with my 650 (Scarver), am I the only one?

:) Liv.
well liv...

maybe in Norway, BMW have got their act together

xxx

Matron said:
well liv...

maybe in Norway, BMW have got their act together

xxx

Yes, I think you're right!

A lot of us in the Norwegian BMW club has visited the factory in Berlin, (including me!), and after that day they do not dare to send trash to us!
You know; big ugly vikings! Buuuh!:D

:p Liv.

Back
Top Bottom