New `puter hates my cable modem

Dave Hall

Reaction score
`king computers.
I bought a new barebones with a P4 3gig processor etc.
I merrily plugged everything back in, loaded XP and could`nt understand why it would load then crash 30 seconds later.
Finally traced the problem to my cable modems usb cable. When I unplugged it the system worked fine. So I connected the modem using a network cable which did`nt crash the system but was unbearably slow.
Anyone any ideas?? (I`m using the wifes laptop to send this)

Some cable modems are locked onto the host computer's hardware (MAC) address if you connect to them by ethernet. So, if you change your computer the cable modem might well stop working because it doesn't recognise the new computer.

Just a thought. You might want to give your cable company a call to see if this is the way their system is setup.

Mike

Thanks for the reply Mike but I can swap the modem via the usb cable from my old desktop to the wifes laptop with no problems or additional software needed. I only seem to mess about with mac addresses when I use the network cable.

Dave,

I'm (patently) no computer expert but is the USB type compatible?

When I changed my system for a bespoke built one, the bloke who built it pointed out that I needed USB ports that would work with USB 1 and USB 2 to ensure that all my peripherals would work still.

I could have been blinded by computer-speak but I got the impression that some USB 2 will not work with USB 1?

(Standing-by to be shot to pieces by the boffins!) :D

Gotterdammerung said:
I could have been blinded by computer-speak but I got the impression that some USB 2 will not work with USB 1?

In theory a USB 2 device should work in a USB 1 port as the standard is supposedly "backwardly compatible".

In the real world this is not always the case. I have a 802.11b USB wireless adapter that happily works in the USB 1.1 port on my laptop but refuses to function if plugged into the same laptop via my USB hub.

Dave Hall said:
`king computers.
I bought a new barebones with a P4 3gig processor etc.
I merrily plugged everything back in, loaded XP and could`nt understand why it would load then crash 30 seconds later.
Finally traced the problem to my cable modems usb cable. When I unplugged it the system worked fine. So I connected the modem using a network cable which did`nt crash the system but was unbearably slow.
Anyone any ideas?? (I`m using the wifes laptop to send this)

I have just purchased a P4 3Gig Desknote, don't have your cable modem problem, my cable modem is with NTL and I use a router. but if I try to boot it with my USB Hard drive connected it wont. When I boot the PC then plug in the Hard drive it works ok, but all my other PC's boot ok with the USB Hard drive connected with no prblems. Have you tried it in one of the other USB ports?. Have not yet been able to figure why it wont boot with Hard drive connected though.....

Mick

Not sure what the problem is here but you mention loading XP onto a "virgin" PC. Does your XP disk have SP1 included? Some of the updates leading up to SP1 fixed a number of USB related issues on the original XP release.

If you do not have at least SP1 on the PC I would load that first before looking anywhere else!

I`ve wrestled with this little sucker all bloody day and having spent 30 mins on the phone with tech support they eventually admitted that they have`nt a clue when it comes to XP as they reckon its so complicated.

I started again and did a clean install. I can plug my USB in without it crashing but it wont work so I`ve re-installed the network card and I`m using it with a LAN cable and, fingers crossed, its working OK.

If it was`nt for e-mail and internet I`d hurl my computer in the bin and do something more interesting instead.

Back
Top Bottom