New S10 owner

Spud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just picked up my new to me S10 yesterday. Lovely ride back through the Lakes though the Autumn Sun was a pain in the proverbial.
Enjoyed the ride, though surprised at the amount of mechanical noise from the motor, I guess I'll get used to it !! (I'm planning tours already !!)
I'd like to run a switched feed for a Sat Nav unit. Can anyone tell me the easiest/best place to run a feed from please ?
Many Thanks.

You had best join the S10 Forum ............ https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php

If you want a switched live, the simple options are from the acc plug, on the top RHS of the fairing or from the aux lighting wiring (3-pole plug). which resides behind the toolkit under the RHS access panel (4 dzus fastenings). Direct wiring to the battery is not recommended.

You had best join the S10 Forum ............ https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php

If you want a switched live, the simple options are from the acc plug, on the top RHS of the fairing or from the aux lighting wiring (3-pole plug). which resides behind the toolkit under the RHS access panel (4 dzus fastenings). Direct wiring to the battery is not recommended.

Yes, I fitted a plug to the end of my Garmin lead to use in the accessory socket. U bolt with RAM ball on the handle bar as a mount.

Switched live behind the rh side panel. Loved my S10 only changed it 18 months ago for something lighter as my wife no longer goes on the back. Great bikes and very underrated. Had it 7 years and it was faultless throughout. It didn’t like tourance tyres for some reason. Avon trail riders were great on it though.

You'd be better off fitting a switched fuse box with built in relays ( to the auxiliary plug as mentioned above ), that would let you add various electrical add ons through a protected circuit.

Gen 1 bikes have noisier engines than Gen 2 ( swap the clutch basket out for a Gen 2 clutch and finish it off with a Barnett coil spring conversion ).

These engines have long timing chains which adds to the overall noise ( change the cam chain tensioner to the later model if it's an earlier bike ) and they do make some agricultural noises !

Switched live behind the rh side panel. Loved my S10 only changed it 18 months ago for something lighter as my wife no longer goes on the back. Great bikes and very underrated. Had it 7 years and it was faultless throughout. It didn’t like tourance tyres for some reason. Avon trail riders were great on it though.
Just sold my S10 after 5.5 good years and many miles for the very same reason that you sold yours. My missus has osteoporosis and has suffered 5 fractured vertebrae so it’s strictly solo for me now. I will be advertising several accessories for the S10 shortly so get in touch if anyone is interested.

Just picked up my new to me S10 yesterday. Lovely ride back through the Lakes though the Autumn Sun was a pain in the proverbial.
Enjoyed the ride, though surprised at the amount of mechanical noise from the motor, I guess I'll get used to it !! (I'm planning tours already !!)
I'd like to run a switched feed for a Sat Nav unit. Can anyone tell me the easiest/best place to run a feed from please ?
Many Thanks.

Welcome to the exclusive club :)

Those that know, know ........

Next time I but another bike, and want to fit accessories, I'll probably try a Thunderbox...

Switched supply :_
What I did killed two birds with one stone!
The accessory socket on the S10 is a car-type ciggy lighter, and is only supplied by a 3amp fuse - so totally useless for using a mini-pump for tyres etc.
So I replaced the accessory socket with a Hella/BMW type socket wired directly to the battery through a line fuse.
I then used the 3amp switched supply from the old socket to supply both my Garmin sat-nav mount and also my Autocom intercom unit (old school eh!).
That means that my Garmin & Autocom are on a switched supply with an appropriate 3amp fuse and the accessory socket now uses the same plug/socket as my GS and can easily power a mini pump - even with the ignition off, as per a GS.

Enjoy your S10..............................................Grizzly

Last edited:
The accessory socket on the S10 is a car-type ciggy lighter, and is only supplied by a 3amp fuse - so totally useless for using a mini-pump for tyres etc.
So I replaced the accessory socket with a Hella/BMW type socket wired directly to the battery through a line fuse.
I then used the 3amp switched supply from the old socket to supply both my Garmin sat-nav mount and also my Autocom intercom unit (old school eh!).
That means that my Garmin & Autocom are on a switched supply with an appropriate 3amp fuse and the accessory socket now uses the same plug/socket as my GS and can easily power a mini pump - even with the ignition off, as per a GS.

Thanks Grizzly, I remember meeting you up at Applecross with your 1150 GS. I couldn't bear to part with my old 1150, so it's staying where it is for now. I do like the S10, but got to admit, it's clutch rattle does drive me a little nuts. I've looked for the switched feed behind the right hand panel and try as I might I can't find it, so may have to resort to the Thunder Box as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
I hope you're keeping well and we bump into each other again at some point. (y)

I did exactly the same on my CRF300L and my V85TT.... Heated grips, NAV etc all via a 4-pin relay switched by the AUX socket. Simple, cheap and effective...
I'll probably go Thunderbox next time I buy a bigger bike (probably Tiger 1200 or new Guzzi Stelvio most likely to be the next purchase) because I will want more accessories (Denali's, heated grips, NAV, etc), and it's a bit tidier...

This is what you need. Might help distinguish the correct plug too. IIRC it has a blank plugged in that can be binned.

Back
Top Bottom