NEWBIE & VERY HAPPY - BUT SKINT

harlequin6

Reaction score
I have been itching to get back on a bike after selling the last one ( a Suzi RF900 ) 4 years ago , women troubles !

Mid last year ( single again) & armed with £5k I began snooping around. I didn't want to go back to a sports biased machine as I drive approx 50k miles & already have 3 points. I had come to a choice between a Varadero or an 1150 gs.
After reading many reviews, I of course opted for the GS.
But £5k I was dreaming!

I decided that if it was my dream machine I might as well go the whole hog & spotted a GSA 02 at a Honda dealers in Wakefield. I even put a deposit over the phone from the piccy.

I cought 7am train from Bolton-Manchester- Wakefield & got collected from the station by the dealer.

All was well & the deal was done for £7,100. incl : crash bars , ABS, Remus can & chip+O/E, Olins suspenders & a matching baglux tank cover. ( good deal or not? I don't care)

As I had not even been on a bike for 2 years i had spent a sleepless night beforehand dreaming of wheelying out of the dealers yard and streight through the next door hedge.
However by riding like a granny & threppenybitting the corners I made it to the post office for a tax disc. I fitted it in a 50p rubber
holder & put it in the screen only for it to disapear over my shoulder on the dual carriage way. Cue a high speed traffic dodge in true Harold LLoyd style to retrieve it , into the top pocket this time and a nice alloy holder purcased. (INCIDENTALLY WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO SITE IT, I'M STRUGGLING TO FIND A BOLT TO USE!)

Insurance quotes varied from £850 -£1850! I had just bought a steel bike garage thing and self assembled it ( another story, i will include pics) which helped get the £850 quote.

I have just fitted my Streetpilot ( bought from Staples on xmas eve for £499 although I had to drive to Carlisle to get the last one!) wiring & brackets and I am raring to go.

All this in the space of a couple of weeks & cue the snow! Great!

Can't wait to get involved with some of the roadtrips on the board.

Great forum by the way! Really Really helpful . Anyway , I'm one of you lot now & you're stuck with me.

Thanks all.

HARLEQUIN

£850 seems pretty high. Dodgey past or where you live? :D

Probably a bit late but did you try BMW Insurance?

£850 insurance

bgd,

It felt quite cheap after the first 6 quotes were above £1000!.

3 point, no no-claims after 4 yrs with no bike.

A

harlequin6 said:
(INCIDENTALLY WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO SITE IT, I'M STRUGGLING TO FIND A BOLT TO USE!)

HARLEQUIN [/B]

Welcome Harlequin

I have used a bolt situated on the left hand side just under the rear part of the front seat. Hope that will suit your holder.
;)

tax disk holder

notadrop,

Thanks , I'll have a look when I get home from errr.. work.

Chap at work living in central London bought a fireblade and then started looking for quotes. First one was £11k. He eventually ended up paying £1500 but had to rent a garage (£25 per week) which was 20mins walk from his flat. It was quicker for him to tube it than ride.

Welcome

Welcome aboard Harlequin. Might be dear to insure, but at least you made the right bike choice..:D Once the snows melt, and the roads dry, you won't think about the money....much ;)
I doubt if the Varadero would have been cheaper to insure, though they do have the immobiliser thingy..

Enjoy../Rob

Back
Top Bottom