Newboy with SP111

edzt

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Just bought a SP111 well impressed-thankyou to the person who posted the costco deal
2 questions what is the best way of mounting it on my gs -touratech, ram etc.
Where can I get the garmin 4pin connector so I can hardwire it to the bike
thanks in advance sorry to be boring
Ed

I went for the Touratech mount after seeing them in use at the b*w Off Road Course. Nick Plumb at Touratech recommended the lockable one & I've got to say its a sturdy bit of kit; I think the rubber mounts will help the longevity of the SPIII too.

Any Garmin dealer should be able to supply the connecting wire; the part number is 010-10082-00. I got mine from Maplin.

There's a cheap way for plugs and wires too:

Pfranc plugs

g45ctr.jpg

I have ordered some and they work fine. I do use them in the car and on my desk, as they are not very waterproof. On the bike I use the Garmin cable.

And a "home brew" mount.

IMG_1692.JPG

I like this position much better than the mount on the handlebars. You don't need to take your eyes off the road so much. But kinda hard to do if you don't use an IMO like I do, instead of the speedo.

Some more pics here.

MiGSel said:
There's a cheap way for plugs and wires too:

Pfranc plugs

g45ctr.jpg

I have ordered some and they work fine. I do use them in the car and on my desk, as they are not very waterproof. On the bike I use the Garmin cable.

And a "home brew" mount.

IMG_1692.JPG

I like this position much better than the mount on the handlebars. You don't need to take your eyes off the road so much. But kinda hard to do if you don't use an IMO like I do, instead of the speedo.

Some more pics here.

ey up Migsel,

have you used the multiway bmw rocker switch thingy for controlling the imo??, if so have you any details of the wiring??

Yes Chris,

I got an old radio remote control off an LT from a dealer. It needed one wire repaired, fixed in 10 minutes. He didn't know that luckily. Not a bad deal for 5 euros :)))

The tricky bit in the wiring is the "E" button. There are only 3 wires on the IMO remote connection.

Press button one = ground (BRAUN) to GRÜN (green)
Press button two = ground (BRAUN) to WEISS (white)
Press button three = ground to both green and white

Remote.jpg

That is why you need the two diodes.

If you need to buy a new radio remote control it is not very useful, as it costs more like 130 euros.

Greetz,
Michel

Back
Top Bottom