newby R65 GS

Vincent

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm Vince from France, based in Brighton UK.
I will soon be getting a 1991 R65 GS, my first bike!
I've searched on internet and couldn't find much information about it; only that it is exactly like the R80 GS except for the chrome exhaust, the GS mirror, the battery (12v/20Ah vs: 12v/16Ah) and the weight : 198 kg. Is that true?
Would any "Tosser" out there have more information about it?(where to find parts, maintenace manual...)
It's an ex french army bike and I will need a MPH speedo, a new tank, rack and panniers. Would R80 GS parts fit on it?
Many thanks
Vince

Hi Vince,welcome to the site.
The R65 GS is a pretty rare bike i believe,especially over here.
You will probably be best off asking the technical questions in the airhead section.
They seem to know the ins and outs of these old bangers.:D
Meanwhile,this MAY help.
http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/

Welcome Vincent.

All will become clear. The answers to your R65 questions, and indeed any others you may care to ask, will, as if by magic, be authoritively answered (given a bit of patience on your part) by the collective wisdom of Tosserdom.

Enjoy the site and the bike.

BTW What's all this about UK to Mali on a Vespa then? Tell us more.

Hi everyone,
I'm Vince from France, based in Brighton UK.
I will soon be getting a 1991 R65 GS, my first bike!
I've searched on internet and couldn't find much information about it; only that it is exactly like the R80 GS except for the chrome exhaust, the GS mirror, the battery (12v/20Ah vs: 12v/16Ah) and the weight : 198 kg. Is that true?
Would any "Tosser" out there have more information about it?(where to find parts, maintenace manual...)
It's an ex french army bike and I will need a MPH speedo, a new tank, rack and panniers. Would R80 GS parts fit on it?
Many thanks
Vince

Hello and welcome to the forum Vince, good to have you with us.

Hi Vince,welcome to the site.
The R65 GS is a pretty rare bike i believe,especially over here.
You will probably be best off asking the technical questions in the airhead section.
They seem to know the ins and outs of these old bangers.:D
Meanwhile,this MAY help.
http://micapeak.com/bmw/gs/

:nod Colbans right, try posting something in the Technical Section found further down the forum, as an alternative you can always put a 'Wanted' ad in our very popular 'For Sale & Wanted' section further down but you'll have to become a site sponsor to do so. The doors are locked out to you at the moment.

Here's the link to subscribe should you wish to advantage :

http://www.ukgser.com/subscriptions.htm

Its only a mere £ 12 per annum, but in your case probably worth it for the ad alone especially if they are so rare and you manage to locate one through the forum. Worth a try dont you think? :)

Enjoy your stay with us :)

Thanks

Thanks for the warm welcome, the links and info...
Yes, seems that everything will become clearer with the tossers' community on my side (may I ask, why "tosser"?). I will subscribe very soon. I've posted on the "airhead" section as you guys advised and got a few answers to my questions...I've learnt that there are two versions of the R65 GS, one with an engine of 27 hp (restricted in Germany and Danemark) and another with 50hp engine. I've contacted BMW to try and find out (fingers crossed)...
Here is the only pic I have of the bike. I'm buying it from a guy in Holland who sells military goods. Produced for the french market in July 1991 with 13000kms on the speedo...Delivery on the 1st of February.
bmw.jpg

As it was used on french military based for training, it has no regitration, plate or papers.

Thanks to you all again
Info and tips always welcome
Cheers
Vince

To answer Mytic's question, the Uk to Mali on a vespa thing is a trip I did with my sister and brother in law on 3 Vespas PX 125 last year ( you can see pics on our blog http://vespafreaka.blogspot.com/. 6 months on the bumpy roads of France, Spain, Portugal. Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal, Gambia and Mali. We first planned to make it to Ouagadougou and back(!) but it was not very realistic. We went as far as Dogon country on the border of Burkina Faso. A mind blowing experience! And I would advise anybody out there who doesn't know Africa yet, just do it! No problem whatsoever (well nothing major that couldn't be solved...). Through montains, dirt roads, the Mighty Sahara and the shitiest roads you've ever seen, the vespas never let us down. We made great friends, met a lot of fantastic people and dozens of crazy bikers and travellers on foot, moppeds, pushbikes that would make Ewan & Co look like sissies. ( Check out Robbo's blog who is going back home to Australia on his Africa Twin : http://hardwayhome.blogspot.com/ ).
Got the bug now and will be back there as soon as I can handle the R65...

We call each other Tossers as a term of endearment.....:thumb

Some folks on here are bigger tossers than others (due to expanding waistline issues)....:blast :augie

Back
Top Bottom