Northwest Forest of Bowland

Kritou

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am hoping to ride from Lower Bentham to Crossgill via the Middle Salter area

Where Moor Lane becomes Hornby Rd there is a gated road heading southwest and across the Roeburn river. I know this is a restricted road with several other gates but does anyone know if access is actually allowed and how to apply for permission?

Attachments

• 8164F3B9-A422-4C05-9DCA-255B217616C9.jpg
    8164F3B9-A422-4C05-9DCA-255B217616C9.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 160
I assume you mean where the road passes by Haylots farm. There are several gates on that road, I have ridden that road several times over the last 20 years, but most recently was about 12 months ago with Brut33 of this parish. I have rightly or wrongly assumed it was an unclassified public road and wasn't aware of any restriction.

If it’s the road Fatal mentions, yup it’s a road, no restrictions. A bit rough in places and 5 gates plus a Ford - although they dug it out a few years ago and it rarely even gets damp now. It used to be fearsome after some rain.

A pal of mine lives at Winder -at the western end but it’s private up to his house from the gate and grid.

On the road down/up Roeburndale look out for a little sign advertising apples and stuff (it’s a little south of the turn for Wray). Pop down the (rough) track to Backsbottom farm where you’ll find a hut with some heritage apples, cider vinegar made with said apples (tbh the vinegar is sweeter than some of the apples 😂), and some other organic small holding stuff. It’s an honesty system so do leave money.

If you want a proper off road stay on The Roeburndale road through Middle and High Salter farms and onto the moorland road. Last time I rode it about 4 years ago it was an easy graded track for about 5 miles until “the hill”. I wimped out on my GSA as it’s made of large loose rocks and horrible but I have been up and down on lighter bikes. You end up in Slaidburn eventually if you do go down.

There’s another short green Lane in the area: go west from Winder and take the fork left down to Crossgill and littledale. At the cross roads take the right up a short unmade climb next to the farm. It’ll feel like you are on a farm track but last time I looked it was still a byway. About 1/2 Mile off easy enough track. It depends how much the farmer has been using it.

For a great view of Morecambe bay, Lune Valley, the Lake District fells, Howgills and parts of Yorkshire head for the wind turbines via Brookhouse. Parking at the top with a couple of picnic tables. Great spot to chill filling your eyes and brain with goodness.

Excellent, many thanks. I will be on my Honda CT125 with oem rubber so anything like the track back over to Slaidburn is out of the question. Staying in Grassington for a few days so will be riding some of the bits I didn’t want to take the RT down!

Back
Top Bottom