Off road on the 650

boboneleg

I've had my Dakar for 4 months now and so far I've only taken it off-road once. The conditions that day were fine so no issues occured.

I am off to the 4th ADV rally soon in N.Wales :clap and I expect it to be wet and muddy so what do I need to look out for or modify before I go.

I have fitted TKC's and that's it so far but I have a couple of concerns.

1. the rectifier looks in a very dodgy place (tucked inside the bash-plate), I can imagine it getting caked in mud.

2. I have heard rumours that the lambda sensor on the downpipe can give hassle when crossing streams etc

Any info gladly received to avoid potential problems, or I could take my Africa Twin instead :augie

I've ridden mine plenty in mud and water up to the fake tank tank panels. No issues with either of those things for me... but I could be just lucky

Take the 650 - you'll have a great time. If you want some practice before then, come up to the Cotswolds - there are plenty of easy lanes with the odd rut and some water to make it interesting.

I've ridden mine plenty in mud and water up to the fake tank tank panels. No issues with either of those things for me... but I could be just lucky

Take the 650 - you'll have a great time. If you want some practice before then, come up to the Cotswolds - there are plenty of easy lanes with the odd rut and some water to make it interesting.

Tht's good to hear :D I've ridden a fair bit in the Cotswolds, we tend to ride up the Fosseway skirt around Cirencester and then do a loop up to Bourton and back down to the Fosse.

Some nice riding up there for big trailies :thumb2

the rectifier looks in a very dodgy place (tucked inside the bash-plate), I can imagine it getting caked in mud

The early Dakars were a bit better thought out - had the rectifier tucked up well out of the way. But there were reports of rectifier overheating problems :blast
Just give it a good spray of waterproofing before the weekend. Shouldn't be a problem.:thumb

The early Dakars were a bit better thought out - had the rectifier tucked up well out of the way. But there were reports of rectifier overheating problems :blast
Just give it a good spray of waterproofing before the weekend. Shouldn't be a problem.:thumb

Yeah,

good call Spout, I will take a mini size can of WD40 with me :thumb

cheers, Bob.

bumpety bump

what about you guys that do Rallye's?

any info on what can go wrong?

cheers, Bob.

running out of petrol,
not drinking enough water yourself
riding out of your skin and so way beyond your limits:blast
having a crash and hurting yourself:blast

have fun.

I've been all sorts of stupid places with mine so don't worry.
If there is a lot of wet sloppy mud the radiators can clog so I extend the rear of the front mudguard with some duct tape. Not pretty but effective.
They are surprisingly capable off road as long as you don't try to beat the enduro bikes (three sprocket carriers and counting:eek:)
Have a good time.

running out of petrol,
not drinking enough water yourself
riding out of your skin and so way beyond your limits:blast
having a crash and hurting yourself:blast

have fun.

sounds familiar :beer:

Bob,
the plastic cover for the front sprocket can get clogged up in muddy conditions.
Nothing wrong with that, so long as you remember to take it off and clean behind afterwards - it's easily forgotten :blast
Alternatively buy one of the aftermarket covers that don't clog so easily if you're going to getting muddy often :thumb:thumb
As muzvmc says the bearings in the sprocket carrier can dry out with off road fun and then soon perish. A good clean and regrease lengthens their life.
It's a good idea to replace the cush drive rubber when you renew chain and sprockets. Helps keep things "tight" at the rear end. BMW used to sell chain, two sprockets and cush drive as a complete package - cush drive was basically free:clap
Don't over tighten your chain. Easily done (especially if you follow BMWs recommendations :blast).

Dakar is a brilliant off road bike, and likes getting muddy.

See you there.

Nice one Spout and Muzvmc :thumb

Don't over tighten your chain. Easily done (especially if you follow BMWs recommendations ).

no problem, I have an Africa twin so I'm well used to keeping the chain slack.

Going out tomorrow for a pootle around the local lanes then pop into Bristol Motorrad to have a looksee at the F800GS :D

Back
Top Bottom