Oh Bollox

12 000 miles!!!

Give up the stunt work - that's gotta be a record.

Haven't a clue as to how much a new clutch will cost, but at 12k I'd be asking BMW for a large contribution at least.

What are the symptoms?

I know the 1100's had a problem where a seal on the gearbox went west and allowed oil to contaminate the clutch. My R1100R had this at 19,000 and BMW paid half, even though the bike was 3 years old.

Not sure if this was still a problem on the 1150s.

I guess clutch will slip (first) in the high gears because the faster the speed, the greater the effort to maintain it and punch a hole through the air. Pathetic though for 12k miles.

Definitely a contribution from BMW I would have thought.

6X

Beaten that...

I had one go on an 1100 (s/h) at 8500 when I bought it. Of course that was under a dealer warranty & I don't know what the previous owner was like. Exactly what Pint6x described.

You'll probably find that BMW will provide the clutch FOC but the dealer will charge you for labour.

Mine went at twelve thousand,exactly the same symptoms, in top at eighty, wind the throttle and the only thing that went quicker was the rev counter!

It turned out that the gearbox oil seal had gone and had allowed oil to get onto the clutch. because the bike was such low (ish) mileage, B*W paid for all the work & parts on a goodwill basis.
This clearly is not an isolated problem.

Nice Man @ Linds just replied to my mail

Hope Linds don't mind the Quote ~
Morning Graham
You have contacted the right person. To replace the clutch on your R1150GS would cost £133.11 for the clutch plate and friction plates either side, £189.10 labour, £55.86 vat to total £375.07.
We can lend you a courtesy bike whilst yours is being repaired providing you have a licence and a second form of id.
Because of the age and mileage of the bike I would recommend that we submit a goodwill form to BMW whilst we have it in the workshop to see if they are willing to contribute towards the cost, I wouldn't be surprised if a leaking oil seal is causing the problem as 12000 is not allot of miles for a clutch.
Is the bike a uk model, does it have full dealer service history?
Regards Barry

Sounds like a result if BMW "make a contribution"

Graham...:)

Mike O said:
Barry Lynes at Lind's - what a nice bloke :thumb
MikeO:)
These guys consistently impress me with their attitude

I hear so many good things about SPC, that I was a bit put-out by their "Couldn't give a toss" attitude when I was there last Friday, making genuine "I could be about to buy a bike if you'll sell me one" noises.

pint6x said:
These guys consistently impress me with their attitude

I hear so many good things about SPC, that I was a bit put-out by their "Couldn't give a toss" attitude when I was there last Friday, making genuine "I could be about to buy a bike if you'll sell me one" noises.
This is not an SPC bashing so girls put your handbags down....but I have been to SPC half a dozen times, each time accompanied by a few known faces both to them and us - and each time I have never been approached, I can drink as much self-poured coffee and eat as many tesco bakewell tarts as I like, peruse the store to my hearts content and then sit back and watch as the other customers play hunt the salesman.

Is that the price to pay for a successful and busy dealership?Dunno but on a busy Saturday in Burbidge's bakery do you imagine for a second Andover's finest baker doesn't take the time to meet & greet his customers??? I'd suggest that my experiences were due to going on a busy Saturday but Pint6X's experiences suggest not?

That said if Panos is in the house he ALWAYS takes the time to say hello, he doesn't work there but does seem to have residency there and maybe self-appointed meeter & greeter ;)

Like I said at the top of my post...

No slagging off intended - at SPC the answer seems to be buy a bike and they remember you and see you right - didn't even enjoy that from Dobles when I bought my Pan nuff said!

As I'm now an honorary Yorkshireman I'll see what happens when I go to Jeffries, the Nothern Jewel in the Crown ;)

Also as MikeO is an honorary Eynsford member and Lind's is his local dealer, that makes them mine too I guess, so I'll be paying them a visit as well.

Graham - Hope the bike gets sorted and back to ya soon.

Back
Top Bottom