Oh yes!!, just passed...

Gilson

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have just this afternoon passed my direct access course. I was lucky as I did it with focus motorcycle training in Chelsmford and they are first class, top drawer, A1, lovely people with it too. They come with my (for what it is worth) highest recommendation for anyone in north london and essex who wants to do their test.

After driving a CG125, then an ER5 I am off to collect my recently purchased 1150GS from Monkey man's father tomorrow hopefully!!

Can't wait....hope to keep reading your interesting posts and hope you can help me out with a few, probably very obvious questions in the near future...

Cheers!

Very excited!!!

Congrats Gilson, many of us on this forum know that feeling. Now you've passed your test you can really start to learn how to ride cos if your anything like me you'll fall off at regular intervals. Get to some of the meets and ride with some of the more experienced guys and join the motobike section of your local branch of the IAM and go out for a few observed runs. I can also recommend you purchase the police rider training book Roadcraft - excellent bedtime reading. It'll open your eyes as to how much you don't know.

Welcome to the club!

Well done Gilson :thumb :thumb

Now.....you have a week to practice on the GS before packing the bike and heading off down to Princetown....... :D :D

Fanum said:
Well done Gilson :thumb :thumb

Now.....you have a week to practice on the GS before packing the bike and heading off down to Princetown....... :D :D

Yes, but don't let me put a damper on it... Take it easy to start with it's a different ball game on the bigger heavier and of course more powerfull bikes. Seriously take it easy and learn to ride the thing well...

Happy riding... Well done

Well done Gilson - just remember the golden rule with the GS - look where you put your feet down when coming to a stop!

Happy riding!!

IAM

well done Gilson.now go enroll in your nearest IAM group and learn to ride the GS........................all the previous replies excellent but I cannot stress enough just how much you will leaRN riding with your local IAM group...................and it's oh so inexpensive and when you have passed you will enjoy 20% of your probably very high insurance premium.hope to see you in Princetown
Dood'

100GS
80G/S (sibenrock)
80/7
80/7 Watsonian
Honda STX1300A
Honda VFR

Thanks guys, I am certainly not going to get on teh GS and try to ring it's nuts off, more of a gentle introduction to start a beautiful friendship. The weight does scare me a little but I'll take it easy and book myself on a IAM (I guess that is insitute of advance motoring?).

London bike safe is also a priority...

I'll take all your advice on board and ease myself into the relationship.

PS, my insurance by BMW was 504 comp....cheapest by far, well, started at 1200GBP, bennets was closest with 670, then BMW sorted me out a cracker....I am quite happy with that really

All the best guys, I'll be looking out for the next meet, a set of crash bars and a hugger!

Martyn

And remember what Jay said !!!

If there's gravel or a hole where your foot goes down, it's only a matter of time before you'll drop it. Crash bars NOW!

Congratulations!

I hope to pass soon too- I managed to break my arm and end up in hospital a couple of days before my test :rolleyes:

Enjoy the new bike, and, speaking from experiance of riding a tall, top-heavy bike, take those words of advice already offered to heart. I almost came to grief that way when I first got on my 125 Varadero, 30-something kilos lighter than the GS!

pips said:
Congratulations!

I hope to pass soon too- I managed to break my arm and end up in hospital a couple of days before my test :rolleyes:

Enjoy the new bike, and, speaking from experiance of riding a tall, top-heavy bike, take those words of advice already offered to heart. I almost came to grief that way when I first got on my 125 Varadero, 30-something kilos lighter than the GS!

Er Hello 30 kilo difference:confused: :confused: :confused:

Honda quote the Varadero 125 as being 149 kilos Dry

My Adventure is listed as 232 kilos dry:confused: :confused:

although I find Helium in the rear tyre helps though :D :D :D :D

ming said:

although I find being full of hot air helps though :D :D :D :D

Don't worry Matt...I got it for ya :D :D :D :p

ming said:

although I find Helium in the rear tyre helps though :D :D :D :D

Yup, you're right- I did the [very approximate] maths for the Er-5 [196], not the Varadero, because I'm thick. ;) My point was simply how different any taller bike feels from a CG125 or Er-5, even a measly, much lighter 125...

big stationary, small on the move

I'm having a lot of fun on my GS but I have over balanced her twice. Both times I almost burts a blood vessel pulling her back up...didn't drop her but it is surprising how it can all change so rapidly.

I have tobinators on it but still got a lot of buffetting on the motorway, I'll have to alter the angle and see what difference it makes....A bigger screen would also be very nice, any thoughts to which one?

I'll search for some good engine bars, they would be very handy..

Thanks guys!

The Point of NO return

Ah yes, you've already discovered the point of no return then! I did soon after buying my first BM an 1100R. Tore the ligaments in my right elbow trying to hold the bugger up. Next time I dropped it ( never put your side stand down in a puddle, you never know until too late if it's a pothole!), I just let it go. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

sound advice from some of the guys - watch out for the bike dipping when coming to a halt - it is a heavy bugger and so easy to lose the balance at standstill - be cautious when putting it on the centre stand - again its easy to drop her on these sort of occasions - main thing - ENJOY - and well done , good result !!

JAY said:
Well done Gilson - just remember the golden rule with the GS - look where you put your feet down when coming to a stop!

Happy riding!!

Why didnt I get a golden ruler with my GS. Does it fit in the toolbox. Must only be a six incher then.

Back
Top Bottom