Oil change - any special tools needed ?

pint6x

I'm going to do oil and filter change this weekend as an interim before the 36k service.

I have the filter, the oil, the new sump plug washer.

Do I need any special tools to get the old filter out or the new one in ?

Cheers

6X

Tools

As long as you've got a 76mm end cap type socket you should be ok. It's like a big socket with a bolt head on the end of it. Other than that, piece of cake..../Rob

Pint6x- if you're using the filter you got from me- dont they're only for show :D --- the standard ( mbw ) oil filter spanner fits, have fun :beerjug:

D'oh!

Paragon said:
Franco - you told him told early about the thingymajig you need

You French are all the same "carn't wait"

You should be in the middle of your evening meal now anyway - its only 10 down there.

Obviously only 4 courses tonight

Para

Sorry, once I've had a bottle of red, I do suffer from premtur...oh shite...:(

Steptoe said:
Pint6x- if you're using the filter you got from me- dont they're only for show :D --- the standard ( mbw ) oil filter spanner fits, have fun :beerjug:
what standard oil filter spanner ? is that the 76mm end cap thing of which our francophile speaks ? where do I get one of them from ? I have a good socket set, but I'm sure I haven't got one of those in it.

and para you're a big bleedin' help aren't you :D

Paragon said:
Neil - Maybe you should start to supply the Oil thingymajig socket
Para

I'll look into it first thing in the morning, :)

pint6x said:
what standard oil filter spanner ?

Don't even think about this job unless you have the pukka BMW do-hickey oil filter removing thing-a-me-jig (or equivalent). The oil filter is fully recessed and shrouded by the sump-pan, so there's no way you can loosen or tighten the filter with a chain or strap puller. What's more the clearance is a bit tight, so you do really need the pucka item.

You could always use the old hammer and screwdriver method - but that leaves a few holes in your nice new filter.

The whole job is easier if you turn the bike upside down and balance it on the saddle and handlebars.

:hammer

Greg

Greg Masters said:
Don't even think about this job unless you have the pukka BMW do-hickey oil filter removing thing-a-me-jig (or equivalent).
any chance someone could post a piccie so I know what I'm looking for in Halfords ? the bloke tried to sell me a strap wrench which I know is not what I want.

pint6x said:
any chance someone could post a piccie so I know what I'm looking for in Halfords ?

I doubt that you would find this in Halfords (or any other motor factor come to that).

The pukka BMW part is, I think, less than a tenner.

Greg

Joe,

Dissapointed mate, your'e in South-America this time at night on a pc instead of pulling some luvely ladies :confused:
Table is the best pine you can buy from Ikea :)

Cheers
:gringo

Correction added: It is probably still daylight there and warm :stupid

Paragon said:
pint6x

You have not asked what type of oil to use etc

You will never get it changed - this thread could go on forever

I would use GPS - don't touch the sythetic stuff in an oilheads

Oilheads prefer the taste of semi-synthetic and they like the red colour - when viewed from the oil level glass - it matches the red flashes on the silver tank - they also like to burn a bit now and again to show off to the "lesser mortals" on the road

Cheers

Para
I already have 4 litres of finest GPS at the ready - I've always used this for top-ups. I know how to do an oil change - it's just the special tool for the filter which had me stumped.

Thanks for the photos Maverick.

6X

Back
Top Bottom