Oil coming out of Filler cap

t2grr

Chaps

Another one....if you have read the '30 litre tank thread'.

Facts: Oil level always set at about 3/4 in sight glass when bike on level on main stand.
Dealer recommend oil in engine. Mobil something or other.
O ring in place on inside of filler cap.

On a run i notice a trickle of oil coming out of the filler cap and running down side of engine. O ring doesn't look damaged, but the filler cap does seem like a loose-ish fit.

Bike has done approx 2K miles.

Anyone else get this?

You can also check the seal of the plastic insert to the ali casing. A smear of Hylomar on the ‘O’ ring cured mine.

OWDGEESER said:
You can also check the seal of the plastic insert to the ali casing. A smear of Hylomar on the ‘O’ ring cured mine.

Yes it is most often actually the lower O-ring that is shot - tends to take more heat me thinks. many do not know that there are two.

t2grr said:
Chaps

Another one....if you have read the '30 litre tank thread'.

Facts: Oil level always set at about 3/4 in sight glass when bike on level on main stand.
Dealer recommend oil in engine. Mobil something or other.
O ring in place on inside of filler cap.

On a run i notice a trickle of oil coming out of the filler cap and running down side of engine. O ring doesn't look damaged, but the filler cap does seem like a loose-ish fit.

Bike has done approx 2K miles.

Anyone else get this?
1- the oil level is too high.Check it after you've been for a ride, level ground,stand for 5 mins, should be on the dot in the middle.
2-Remove o ring from cap ,degrease thoroughly and reassemble DRY!!

PS why are you using mobile 1(i take it thats what you mean) in a bike with only 2k on it? It will never run in properly.They had a problem with this stuff on the car side a few years ok - leaking out of seals etc.
Use a good quality mineral oil.Full synthetics a waste of money on this type of bike as the engine is quite low stressed in comparison to something thats revs its tits off at 14000 rpm.Plus the oil gets dropped regularly any way

OWDGEESER said:

Hylomar NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Hylomar perishes, but don't dissolve. It'll run around your engine till it settles in the strainer, clogging it up and upsetting oil pressure or worse a blockage, then your engine gets seriously faffed.

Replace the o ring, smear oil around it, stick it back it back Bob's a close family relative etc...

NO Hylomar, No No No

HTH

Jamie

My plastic insert that sits in the ali casing moved around
and was'nt seating properly this caused the leak in mine :)

NO Hylomar, No No No

Jamie [/B][/QUOTE]
---------------------------------------------------------
:thumb Sounds like good advice to me :nod

Cheers Jamie

Back
Top Bottom