Oil consumption 22 Reg 1250 GS

gsman1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1250 GS is now 13 months old and has never needed oil topping up between services. However in the last 350 miles , level in site glass has gone from halfway up red circle to the bottom with a low oil warning on the TFT. Have topped it up with 400ml . When enquired apparently BMW say 300ml per 670 miles is acceptable . Can’t understand why on all LC’s owned in past both 1200’s and
1250 ‘s never had to top up oil between services and why this bike was ok for 9000 miles then this happened .
Anyone else had similar issues?

Blimey , that seems a lot of oil to use over a small distance 2mile per cc , does not sound correct to me , we are in 2023 not 1923.

Do you get and oil burn smoke from the exhaust on first start up and also after a good run and a coffee stop

Did you own from new ?
If so running in - did you ‘baby’ it for the first 600-1000 miles or rev it freely up and down the box (whilst not labouring or ‘chugging’ in a higher gear)

Side stand or main stand ??

My 2021 1250GS doesn't burn any oil while riding in the UK (overall 17,000 miles) but used about 300ml after a recent 2,500 mile European Tour where the air temperature was a lot higher and similar usage during last year's Tour. Had the same situation on a 2016 1200GS and previous bikes by other manufactures. Maybe it's the higher average Autoroute speeds while crossing France?

400ml is a lot of oil to add in one go. My R1200RS has needed an occasional top up in 7 years. Usually as said above, after a longish ride in very hot temperatures. I've never added more than 200ml at a time and this is usually enough to raise the level half way up the sight glass.

Where did your level settle to after your first ride? Back to half way or to the top of the sight glass? If the latter, then your bike used only 200ml of that 400ml as you already had a 200ml deficit from "full"

Had something similar on my F750 400ml in 2k turned out to be a leak from the sump dropping onto the exhaust they quoted 1000ml per 1000 miles as normal took them 2 workshop visits to find it and fix it. Thinking back to my 2 boxers they would go ages without top up the need a good chunk all at once.

Yes owned From new, ran in by just riding as normal in hills in Derbyshire and always stored on main stand and no leaks, this is 20th GS I’ve owned and never had this issue before.

Last edited:
Yes owned From new, ran in by just riding as normal in hills in Derbyshire and always stored on main stand .this is 20th GS I’ve owned and never had this issue before.

Something wrong there then
Escalate it up the chain at Vertu

Something wrong there then
Escalate it up the chain at Vertu
after a single instance? If the bike needs such a top up every 350 miles then yes, escalate it. There's another 23 months of warranty left!

after a single instance? If the bike needs such a top up every 350 miles then yes, escalate it. There's another 23 months of warranty left!
They just said 300 ml per 670 miles is acceptable ref BMW

They just said 300 ml per 670 miles is acceptable ref BMW
Not put any oil in for 9000 miles then suddenly last 350 miles level dropped to bottom of red circle and low oil warning on TFT . I know the level was ok as checked the week before.will see how it goes for next 350 miles.

Something seems off here for a motor to go from no oil use to such a drastic drop. I'd suggest back at your dealer, that the rate of change of consumption is what needs investigating. Doesn't seem right. A mate has a 1250, and that hasn't used any oil since he bought it earlier this year. Mine is a 1200 and used about 100ml in the last 500 miles but I'm told that due to the low mileage, they do tend to use some during the run in miles which for modern synthetics takes a lot longer than older mineral oils, up to 10K miles for the gearbox for example. My older 1200 L/C GSA used no oil at all between services.

Back
Top Bottom