One Last Ride....

tis eye

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My uncle passed away with no immediate family so it was down to me to arrange his funeral and send him on his way, when he was alive he was into anything with an engine. His passion and hobby was riding trials bikes over the Welsh hills, i would arrive to see him on the bike when he became poorly and he would get quite excited telling me stories about his own adventures on bikes in his youth, he had piles and piles of books on just about every motorbike known to man, as well as books on trains, busses, lorries and steam trains, if it had an engine and made a noise - he loved it.

Having arranged his funeral after he passed away i then had to decide what to do with his ashes after cremation, he was never interested it talking about it so didn’t really give me any help in where he wanted to be scattered so given his love of bikes and the Welsh hills i came up with a plan…

On Saturday i rode to Llyn Brianne, i had toyed with the idea of giving him a final send of that would appeal to both his sense of humour and love of bikes so taking him on one last ride seemed like a good idea... , i rode through many of his old haunts with Stan tucked inside my jacket… when i arrived at Llyn Brianne (roughly here…. 52.130736, -3.742591 ) i pulled up on the Harley in the lay-by, not a soul to be seen we had the hills to ourselves, i popped the top off the container, looking over the lake to my right in bright sunshine with a stiff breeze coming up the hill, it was the perfect setting and time to let him go… popping him back in my loosened jacket for a second (lid now off) i set off out of the lay by, into second gear, throttle open blasting up the hill... i took the vessel out of my jacket with my left hand waving it in the air behind me as i sped up the hill and over the rise, “Stan” duly scattered from a Harley Davidson blasting up the mountain road at Llyn Brianne, looking in my mirror i could see the cloud drifting over the hill, i know Stan would have loved it!.

After doing a U Turn i went back and sat for a for a while looking down over the lake, what an amazing spot it is, If your passing that way give Stan a nod, he loved bikes and the Welsh hills so a perfect send off in a perfect spot. RIP Stan.

As above .... a beautiful send off and very fitting :thumb2

:beerjug:

A perfect send off, Stan will have liked that :thumby:

My uncle passed away with no immediate family so it was down to me to arrange his funeral and send him on his way, when he was alive he was into anything with an engine. His passion and hobby was riding trials bikes over the Welsh hills, i would arrive to see him on the bike when he became poorly and he would get quite excited telling me stories about his own adventures on bikes in his youth, he had piles and piles of books on just about every motorbike known to man, as well as books on trains, busses, lorries and steam trains, if it had an engine and made a noise - he loved it.

Having arranged his funeral after he passed away i then had to decide what to do with his ashes after cremation, he was never interested it talking about it so didn’t really give me any help in where he wanted to be scattered so given his love of bikes and the Welsh hills i came up with a plan…

On Saturday i rode to Llyn Brianne, i had toyed with the idea of giving him a final send of that would appeal to both his sense of humour and love of bikes so taking him on one last ride seemed like a good idea... , i rode through many of his old haunts with Stan tucked inside my jacket… when i arrived at Llyn Brianne (roughly here…. 52.130736, -3.742591 ) i pulled up on the Harley in the lay-by, not a soul to be seen we had the hills to ourselves, i popped the top off the container, looking over the lake to my right in bright sunshine with a stiff breeze coming up the hill, it was the perfect setting and time to let him go… popping him back in my loosened jacket for a second (lid now off) i set off out of the lay by, into second gear, throttle open blasting up the hill... i took the vessel out of my jacket with my left hand waving it in the air behind me as i sped up the hill and over the rise, “Stan” duly scattered from a Harley Davidson blasting up the mountain road at Llyn Brianne, looking in my mirror i could see the cloud drifting over the hill, i know Stan would have loved it!.

After doing a U Turn i went back and sat for a for a while looking down over the lake, what an amazing spot it is, If your passing that way give Stan a nod, he loved bikes and the Welsh hills so a perfect send off in a perfect spot. RIP Stan.
Absolutely brilliant. Sure he would have approved

wow ! great idea and story. well done you

Good on you.
What a lovely send off.
Thanks for sharing it with us.

That's a lovely and thoughtful idea

I am sure it will be replicated by a few and to a few on here
Well done(y)

The best way to do it.
My wife knows that she's to do the same with me but through Glencoe.

Cheers all, riding home after i was chuckling to myself about the "ceremony", i'm still grinning when i think about it now, i know Stan would be chuffed, i wish i had the idea and opportunity to tell him when he was still here, he'd have loved that. :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom