Paint Removal?

Invicta Moto

Reaction score
DANGER BODGER AT WORK

Okay, whilst touching up some little stone chips (using official BMW paint touch-up kit) on the paintwork, dopey dickhead managed to not notice a run of mandarin paint that had dripped on the rocker cover. Now it's hard as nails.

Best way to remove without causing any damage? Thinners or white spirit?

Invicta Moto said:
DANGER BODGER AT WORK

Okay, whilst touching up some little stone chips (using official BMW paint touch-up kit) on the paintwork, dopey dickhead managed to not notice a run of mandarin paint that had dripped on the rocker cover. Now it's hard as nails.

Best way to remove without causing any damage? Thinners or white spirit?

Hi Bodger....

Don't use (cellulose) thinners or white spirit.........

Wait until it's absoluetly cured (24hrs)....

There's more than a sporting chance that there will be a fair film of oil etc on the rocker cover....when the paint blob is rock hard you'll probably be able to pick it off with a fingernail.......

If it's worse than that........paint the rockers Mandarin...........

Cheers

Dutch

Invicta Moto

Like above let it go hard (prob is now!) it will not go rock hard because it will just be a 2 pack but no hardener in it (go off in the tube/tin if hardener included)

1. Get some masking tape or sellotape press down firmly over the paint them rip it off quickly, because you have not abraded the cover it might not have stuck. (hope the engine was not warm)

2. Try and remove as suggested by picking, prob leave some marks so get hold of some 3M finesse it fine compound try Halfords or Brown Bros Ltd < in ya Telephone directory. Take care when compounding as I bet BM put very little coating on the rocker covers! Then use some wax to bring back the shine. What ever you do not use T Cut as it contains ammonia.

May the force be with you!

TD

I once had a Caterham Seven, and during the night, some vandals had stolen a tin of white paint from a neighbours shed, and poured it over three cars, mine and two neighbours.
By the morning it had dried.

I thought that if brush restorer can dissolve paint on brushes, it was worth a try. You can get it from all DIY stores.

I tried it on a small test piece, and, hey presto - paint was gone, and no damage to the paintwork. So, I reckon that this is what you should do. Hope this helps.:)

Good advice Phil, but ya neighbours paint was it Emulsion? If so it is waterbased technology hence came off easy, BMW paint is refinish paint and will go harder than emulsion.

Hopefully you don’t think I am trying to be a smart ar**

TD

Back
Top Bottom