perspex headlamp and oil cooler protection

slimbo

Reaction score
manufactured out of old bus shelters,
youve seen the touratech plastic headlamp protector, well my idea is the combined protector for both the lamps and the oil cooler......
nice clear perspex not for the off road warrior but designed for the general use that most gs'es get...
it will protect from rocks n stuff and allow cooling air to keep the oil just right .....
looks like the cost will be about 15 quids +pp

watch this space for a piccy as me m8 oos got the digy cam is still at work........:beerjug: :beerjug:

Does the light protector fit close to the lamps as reflection into the screen can be a problem on dark unlit roads if it mounts too far away?

I presume the oil cooler cover is vented some how?

I will be interested to see the picture as I had to ditch the Touratech light cover in order to see the road at night

Roger

roger the lamp cover tucks in under the cowling and the oil cooler bit is vented only titchy rocks could get through, the idea being to reduce the chance of damage....

Just made (and fitted) a polycarbonate headlight protector to mine. Never thought to extend it lower to cover the oil-cooler though! Used a rear number-plate blank as this was about 4mm thick and cut the thing out with a jig-saw. Dimensions, for those of you you want to copy were:

Centre-distance between circles 120mm
Small light: 95mm dia
Large light 120mm dia
Blend-curve between circles: 75mm dia

Mounted on 3M heavy-duty velcro-stuff (forgotten the trade name, will re-post if I find out) so it sticks to the face of the lights - no reflections.

Cost 6 squids and a cut finger (jigsaw blade)

Gawd, Littlered, someone let you loose with a jigsaw.... thats like giving a monkey a machine gun!!! Any other damage to house, spouse, neighbours, village etc, :D

Black & Decker Workmate is a different shape to anyone else's through repeated carnage with said jigsaw!

Wait a minute while I count me fingers......................

Roger Walton said:
Does the light protector fit close to the lamps as reflection into the screen can be a problem on dark unlit roads if it mounts too far away?

I presume the oil cooler cover is vented some how?

I will be interested to see the picture as I had to ditch the Touratech light cover in order to see the road at night

Roger

Re-fit the Touratech item. Then buy the single £252 Touratech lamp to illuminate the road. Strangely enough, Touratech dont seem to make a polly cover for this lamp.....

Buy Xenon's on a BMW car and they make you buy the headlight washers as well. Gedditt???

Think about it.

sorry for the delay on the piccy front but me m8 has buggerd off for a while ,will try to call in a few favours to get some piccys.
anyhow the jigs have bin made and i can now say they look better than i thought they would .........so keep watchin.......

and this

0008.jpg

hope the piccys look ok

this is the main protortype?
comes in kit form of four washers , two screws , two rubber grommits , two plastic spacers , and the screen..........
so ave a butchers and dont kill me in the rush!!! orders taken as and when.. these are hand crafted and ok to 90 mph , cos thats the fastest i have dun so far with it fitted...

Slimbo

Looks good to me, as asked before do you get any reflection back from the head light and were the oil cooler protector meets the beak is it flush against the paint work or does it stop short and mm or so ?

How about were you have cut the Air holes in the oil cooler protector you cut the Air holes as G S LETTERS instead of slots

hOW MUCH ?

:shoot:

terry as you can see the cover is close to the lamps and no reflection back on the screen,
i did think about the gs lettering if i can work out the way of dooing the cutting tidy . and i use me router in a jig to cut out the
slots and a dremmel ti tidy up the edges...
as is cost would be 15 quids plus post and packing, if i can do the letters i will advise on cost .. hope it helps....slimbo:D :beer:

Slimbo,

Nice work! :thumb What kind of reduction in airflow do you reckon you'd get to the oil cooler? Anyone know how critical cutting down the airflow by 50% or so would be (just guessing, looking at the amount of plastic vs the amount of slot)

MikeO:)

there is plenty of space around the cover m8 to keep the air moving ....although the vortices off the cover do send the air in the right direction. have road tested and so far no problems...

slimbo said:
there is plenty of space around the cover m8 to keep the air moving ....although the vortices off the cover do send the air in the right direction. have road tested and so far no problems...

Looks cool.

And if they want the cooling I'd suggest "ride it hard sir"
For jud9e --> As I have a R1100GS I can afford to go slow. :)

Slimbo,
I saw in either Touratech or Wunderlich catalogue ( I can't remember which) a perspex headlamp protector but they warned about using it with ceratin types of headlamps because the heat build up was a side effect causing to bulb failure. I have an R1100GS with twin headlamps and they run pretty hot - isn't this possibly a problem with your design ? Don't get me wrong , I think it looks the biz - very smart and well finished but melted headlamp internals would worry me . Any thoughts ?
Cheers
The Gecko

Back
Top Bottom