Picking up the bike.

simmans

I'm a 1150 gs newbie (bought yesterday) based in melbourne

I cant imagine how I would go about picking up the Bike from lying on its side.
Any help with the tecnique would be appreciated.

george

Get a couple of helpful mates :rolleyes:

Attachments

• upsidedown.jpg
    upsidedown.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 480
Welcome to the madhouse, two rules apply, pay no attention to anything anyone says, have a good,warped sense of humour and thirdly make up as many rules as you want:D
As for picking the bike up, adrenalin works for me everytime:beerjug:

George, welcome to the group.

When the 1100 came out BMW's official policy was to use the No. 1 method posted by Mark. However over time it became a bit of a problem because if one does lift the bike up with just the handlebars as suggested then sometimes one can bend the bars. They don't seem to have an official pick up policy, anymore.

If there is anyone else around always get them to help, they are rather heavy, especially with a full tank and a tank bag on top.

If on a hill then swivel the bike on the cylinder head by dragging the rear around with the other arm holding the front wheel off the deck until the front wheel is slightly down hill. The rocker box will easily handle this scrubbing.

By the way, where in Melbourne are you? I'm in Hampton East.

You could do worse than come along to the local BMW club service day, which is next being held on Sunday the 30th of November. There should be about 80 - 120 people and bikes there doing all sorts of things. You will definitly learn a fair bit about your machine there.

Mick.

Yes, whenever I've 'got off' on the road, usually about 10 people descend on me trying to help. The amount of swearing going on frightens half of them away, and the rest help me pick it up.
However, I've found the best way is to lift it bit by bit, jamming your leg under the bike each time, to hold it up while you get a better grip and jerk it up another few inches. Good luck !

This is more a way to turn them around,I found it very help full when you are not on flat ground,,
basically use the terrain for your advantage

1001536-M.gif

first the rear wheel is stock(notice no side stand) is no way i can keep going up because is Super Step,soft and rocky
1120751-M.jpg

drop the bike on the side,,like a Big Sick horse
1120752-M.jpg

from there is just to lift the bike,,very easy when gravity is helping
1120753-M.jpg

another tip,,ride with a friend,just in case you get cut Under the bike,,belive me I'm being their and is not fun,specially if you are close to the pipe or a moving wheel

a few more from that series
1120748-M.jpg

JL V~strom
1120749-M.jpg

Other great Advice ,,don't get desperate,take your time,rest,,and get a seal battery even better a GEL Battery
1120750-M.jpg

Jeeez ricardo, your moving .gif is making me carsick !!!

:barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :D

gasman said:
Jeeez ricardo, your moving .gif is making me carsick !!!

:barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :barf :D

just be glad you are not there doing it,,that will make you sick in many other ways....:D :D :D :D

I have the "Stop" shots if you want to see them

Picking up the bike

Ricardo,

Does that new cow pattern sheepskin seat cover make it any easier to pick up?:)

Re: Picking up the bike

BiggaPope said:
Ricardo,

Does that new cow pattern sheepskin seat cover make it any easier to pick up?:)

No,,,not really but helps a lot to "pick Up" lady.
the only problem is I already found the most wonderfull woman ever,so the colateral is just there to get my in trouble....:p:p:p

Look......we even have Matching cow covers now...
1088145-M.jpg

Simmans, Mark's method 1 is the way to go. While brute force and ignorance will get you through many tasks in life, picking up a 250kg motorcyle on your own ain't one of them. Technique is vital.

A few tips:
If the bike is in neutral, put it in gear before you try and lift it. You can usually reach the gearlever even if it's fallen on its left side.
If it's fallen on it's right side, put the sidestand down before you start to lift.
Turn the handlebars so the bar nearest the ground (which you'll be grabbing with both hands to lift) is toward the front of the bike on full lock, i.e. if the bike is on its left side, turn the bars to full right lock. That gives you masses of leverage. Don't lift with the bar end back towards the seat, it's harder, and the bar levers etc get in the way.
Get in a comfortable squat position very close to the bar end, one foot either side. Get a good two-handed grip on the bar end. Deep breath, back straight, arms straight, then lift it right up in one go using just your leg muscles to start with (the hardest part), then the higher it gets the easier it gets.
Don't overdo it in the last stages and flip it right over to the other side :eek:
Finally straighten out your mirror and anything else that is flapping around loose.
If you're on a slope then do a 'Ricky spin' first to get your wheels downhill.
Beware well-meaning assistants trying to help lift it by tugging on the indicators, beak etc that will break off in their hand.

If you do it right it's a piece of cake. If you don't believe me try it - you'll have to sooner or later so why not have a go when you've got a buddy or two standing by to take the p*ss and help if you really can't lift it. Practice on a soft level surface that won't scratch your cylinder head (obviously).

Dead right - its got to be in gear. I've seen Simon Pavey pick one up and he's a little guy.

Back
Top Bottom