Posted on behalf of guitarman

Paul G (BHT)

Creator
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
I was away for 3 days and came back to the family PC not working (no-one's fault of course, no-one did anything or
noticed anything odd the last time it was used). Basically it goes into a muliple choice with all sorts of different modes. Any attempt to boot up windows from DOS meets with himem.sys not present although I can see it is there in the windows directory.

At one point the PC suggested that I run scanreg/fix which I did and got another message relating to a missing himem.sys.

It's possible I've been got by a virus that's somehow got past the virus checker or maybe there really is a problem with the hard disk. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I've got a set of rescue disks and a windows 98 CD but I lent them to a mate who lent them to mate who's on holiday! (I'm not sure how much use they would be anyway)

I can't answer posts on the board for a while (big crackdown on internet usage especially when it comes to bulletin boards and the like) but I can at least view posts although you can email me with any questions or suggestions.

Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get back in the loop soon.

Cheers

Dick

Back on track thanks To Norton Systemworks.

Get out there and buy a copy today.

Thanks for your help Paul.

Cheers

Dick

Back
Top Bottom