R100GS - "Can you help the man from San Jose...?"

Martyn B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My friend Bob, what lives across the pond, posted this question on the "Yahoo" site and got naff-all response (no surprise there then) Please note that this relates to a R100GS:-

Any one here remove the Cat-Converter but leave the orig. muffler on?
Sound? Performance? Raise the needles? I suspect so...
But will have to take plug readings?
And is there a piece already fabricated or do I
have to get it done myself? (PITA)
Thanks in advance.
Bob.

Anyone help?

Martyn

Judge,

Hmmmm. Perhaps it was a US only fitment. I shall find out more.

Watch this space....

Correct only the US supplied GS's came out standard with a Cat-Converter and don't see except for law restrictions that it would affect the rest of the bike when losing it. Maybe re-balance of carburetors will sort it out. Then again with mine huffing and puffing on uphills maybe not?

Please note that losing the cat box will affect the performance for sure and don't think the little bit additional noise is of any benefit. Best to do is decent full y-piece with say Lazer end can.

:gringo

maverick said:

Please note that losing the cat box will affect the performance for sure and don't think the little bit additional noise is of any benefit. Best to do is decent full y-piece with say Lazer end can.

:gringo

Agree with that.
We need to know what size carbs it has and what jetting they have in them. THEN I'll recommend a set up.

Thanks

Bob says thanks for the responses. He's now landed himself a job with his local BMW dealer so he's get access to all the tech info he needs to sort it out.....

Never seen a cat converter mentioned on the US spec sheets, I suspect he meant 1100gs

Bob says thanks for the responses. He's now landed himself a job with his local BMW dealer so he's get access to all the tech info he needs to sort it out.....

There might be more practical advice here. Like recommending things that work/tried and tested not just something that was never actually fitted over 25 years ago. Not slagging BMW ahem. JJH

Back
Top Bottom