R1200GS arrives soon. Tips?

alecmuffett

My new R1200GS arrives in a few weeks, stock plus crashbars and panniers and spokes...

I am planning the first few outings to get some mileage on it, and was wondering what new-GS-specific advice other readers might have, and also if someone could kindly clue me in on the 1200's recommended running-in schedule, distance to first service, etc?

Thanks everso!

Tips?
1) Ride it
2) Ride it
3) Repeat steps 1 - 2
4) Ride it
5) Repeat steps 1 - 4
6) Repeat step 5
7) Start all over

;) :) :D

Official running in procedure is to keep it below 4000rpm till the first service at 600 miles, then "gradually increase by 1000 rpm" (whatever that means), and keep an eye on the oil-level.

Others here have successfully tried the "Motomans breaking in procedure" - I.E "trash it" during it's first 20-30 miles, then do an oil change.... I'm sure you can find the exact details either on the forum or on the web.

My personal tip is that you should not expect the bike to be all singing-and-dancing when you get it; it's extremely stiff and does not like running at all. After a while the engine losens up, the suspension starts working and the whole bike just starts to "come alive". (I've ran 3 other new big bikes in during the last 5 years, and none of them have been this stiff).

And, spokes are a given :D

Ride, enjoy and smile! And, Welcome! :beerjug:

Clean the garage out properly.

buy a proper digi camera

get a GPS

weed the lawn

do the pointing in the walls

creosote your fence to BS 5895

- it'll all come in handy later on.............:)

it will burn loads of oil for the ....

first 600mls.

this is also due to the thinner oil used..... check oil window every ride!

be very careful of the side stand when parking facing down hill :rolleyes:

Sell it and buy a proper GS....

It's not that the older GS's are better bikes... It's because evidence suggests that if you buy a 1200 you'll post numpty threads... and we don't want to be a numpty do we:D

Forgot to say welcome to the board... And my other tip is enjoy your bike and please join us in the virtual pub for some pisstaking

motomartin said:
Clean the garage out properly.

buy a proper digi camera

get a GPS

weed the lawn

do the pointing in the walls

creosote your fence to BS 5895

- it'll all come in handy later on.............:)

:hapybnce:

Oh, and ignore the holy trinity. They are TOOOOSSSSSEEEEEERRRRRRSSSSSS

I agree about the first 1000 miles transforming the bike. The most noticable thing I`ve found with mine is that it pulls from much lower revs smoother than it did any time in that running in period. Also try & find some hills to ride to work the engine without revving it too high, my bike seems to use very little, if any, oil after I did all the passes in the Lake District :D
The standard fit Dunlop 607`s are VERY good IMO so don`t be scared leaning the bike over & wearing the hairs off!
I`m pleased I didn`t order spoked wheels as cleaning the bike is a PITA!

Back
Top Bottom