R1200GS or Multistrada

Rod

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I can't decide between the R1200 GS & the Multistrada. I have been riding sportsbikes for 16 years.
I am looking for a fun bike, both seem to excel on mountain roads
and both can tour. I will never go off road. Has anyone had experiance of both bikes?
Any opinions welcome ( non biased of course !)

Thanks.

which bike

Hi Rod,

I too fancied trading my 1100gs a year ago for a multistrada. Multi rode great, looks a bit different but I was put off with stories of expensive services (compared to BMW) and with my bike used all year and parked outside a lot of the time I wasnt sure the Duc would be as durable.

I love my gs but still fancy a multistrada.

IMHO I`d buy a multistrada because I just wanted it or a BMW for the relatively safe bet.

Or ignore all of the above.

Good deals on the multistrada (new that is) at the moment with a load of goodies flung in such as a performance can, but the GS is still the better bike in looks in my opinion...

Careful...

If you value any of your anatomy below the waist, take a look at the Multistrada seat....

Then sit on it for a while...

Then try and walk...

Now the REST of the bike? Mmmmmmm, yummy.

Multistrada is great but ....may not be for you if:

You ride in crappy weather all year
Your not fond of cleaning your bike
You like to just get on and ride even if it's been standing in a damp garage for 2 months

Bottom line if price is not the issue I'd go for the 1200GS

Multistrada

Hi Mate,

Get yourself down to Williams in Manchester as they have a silver 03 model that someone has traded in.

Not only will you be able to take it out for a thrash/test ride you will be able to have a look at the horrendous finish on the engine as all the paint is falling off, and alloy bits are all dulled.

Maybe a new 1200Gs will also corrode like this but at least you will be able to get it replaced under warranty.

Get a new GS you know you want too.

I love them both. I was debating that as well. But the seat on the Multistrada, and the KTM950, put me off. I regualryl do over 2,000 kms on a weekend ride so I can't afford to not be as comfortable as possible. If you don't ride anywhere near this amount and you like both equally, go with the best deal out there.

I'm still planning on getting a multistrada or KTM950 in a 2-3 years to add to the 12GS.

nadeem said:
Good deals on the multistrada (new that is) at the moment with a load of goodies flung in such as a performance can, but the GS is still the better bike in looks in my opinion...

And if they're trying to give the new ones away, what are they going to worth in a couple of years, probably about as much as a Fiat Punto :eek:

If you value any of your anatomy below the waist, take a look at the Multistrada seat....

My experience exactly:( :( :(

Hi,

I'd take the GS every time. It's more comfortable and loads more reliable. The Duke is cool to look at but in the real world - the BMW wins every time.

I had the same dilemma 1 year ago and am well pleased to have chosen the GS. After 18,000 km I still have no regrets.

Plus, if you intend to do more than 30mins in the saddle don't touch the Duke (even the Italian press slag it)

Ciao

Biased..

Well we all could be accused of being biased.. ;) .. but

I like the Multistrada.. looks cool.. in a new kind of way.
I like the style, its price and the part of the market its aimed at.

However. I wouldnt buy one, why?

1. I personally rate the GS as fantastic.
2. Servicing the Ducati, is as costly if not more so as the GS.
3. Its long distance capabilities are limited.
4. Its trying to be a bit too much of a sports bike.
5. Long term reliability. Lots for sale second hand already, why?
6. The finish is poor, and i doudt it will winter well, though the GS is not too great if not cared for..

If you wish to play on mountain roads, the light weight of the multistrada is nice, but if you can handle the GS, then get the GS. Be it a nearly new 1150 or the 1200.. or even an 1100, lots of them around and still going strong.

I am looking for a 1100gs for a run around, on a bit of a whim. Just because i fancy it.

At the end of the day.. the reality if.. try to rideboth on long journeys and see what you think.

I bought a GS because i always wanted one.. like the looks, the style, and loved the bike when i got it. I wont be going back to the sports bike for a while, thats for sure..

I looked the multistrada too, as did with a mate who eventually bought a KTM 950. We were/are both of the opinion that it's ripe for Ducati to bring out a 'proper' version of it soon, i.e. one with the water cooled engine in it. We imagined if that happend, the air cooled residuals would fall badly.
That style of bike with a proper engine....Now that would be worth thinking about!

Rod said:
I can't decide between the R1200 GS & the Multistrada. I have been riding sportsbikes for 16 years.
I am looking for a fun bike, both seem to excel on mountain roads
and both can tour. I will never go off road. Has anyone had experiance of both bikes?

Friend sold his Triumph Tiger & bought a 'Strada as he reckoned it would be way better than the GS1150's myself & others had at the time. It wasnt and on most roads he couldnt keep up.. Bike not him.. Sold 'Strada after 2,000 miles at huge loss & bought a GS1150 .. his first BMW.. loved it. He's since bought a GS1200 which he reckons is better still.. His 'Blade has hardly turned a wheel since he bought first GS.. enuff said ;)

I bought a brand new Multi a couple of months ago, great bike but I want to do Africa so, now selling for a late 1150GS (pref the Adv), if anbody wants to swap, I'm in the market!

Duc or 12GS

If these are the only two bikes you have considered you may be missing some other options.
V_Strom from Suzuki, cheap and cheerful
Varadero, comfy and thirsty, now improved
Caponord, much under-rated and underpriced
Tiger, good motor but no good off-road
Africa Twin, really good all rounder but a bit short on ponies
KTM LC8, the Choice of Champions, but only for real men and really tall women;-))
All the GS range are great, probably the Adv is the best for road presence but if you are contemplating the Multistrada then the 1200 is a better option for you.
Beware of new bike niggles though.
The Duke is a toy...
Pat.

GS Sports Bike

I have just traded in my Honda CBR929RRY Fireblade for a nearly new R1200GS (700 Miles)
I go to France for a week, every year with 3 other fast sports bike riders. i.e. amatuer racers. They have 1 x CBR929RRY Fireblade, 1 x Honda SP1 and 1 x GSXR600

I have recently returned from France having riden the GS for just over 100 miles before departing on my trip. My new GS incidentally has the bmw alarm, heated grips, panniers, top box and Sat Nav fitted.
Observations of trip and bike. A real life comparison conducted over 2.6k miles:

1. The GS is more comfy than the blade (surprisingly)
2. The GS can cruise at higher speeds 120mph than any sports bikes.
3. Top speed is 134mph according to sat nav. 137 indicated (which is pretty acurate, loads more accurate than my car or any jap bike)
4. No sports bike can loose a GS around the bends (even without scrapping the centre stand)
5. You can use up 2.5 mm of trye tread in 650miles trying to keep up. 5.5mm used up in total. rear tyre will last approx 4.5k miles
6. You can always outbreak a sports bikes and scuff off speed if needed mid-corner if needed.
7. The front does not dive, giving you absolute control.
8. No chain to clean each evening after checking into a B&B
9. BMW's burn oil far too easily. 2 - strokes comes to mind!
10. Oil leaks out of air filter area if you thrash it too much
11.Sports bikes go alot slower around bumpy corners.
12. Going over bumpy roads, the gs is ok if both wheels leave the ground. Had to wait for my 3 mates for ages after about 5 miles !!
13. They all rode my bike and loved it.
14. They all thought it hillarious that they were occassionally being overtaken or being continuously persued by a bloke riding in the 'arm chair' position.
15. They were slightly jealous (but so was i, as i missed the absolute 140mph+ straight line speed)
16. Having an IAM test pass or a BMW does not slow you down.
17. Spinning up your rear tyre when exiting bends does not get a 1200GS out of your mirrors.
18. the gs suspension is too soft on anything other than hard setting.
19. you can ride almost as fast two-up, but things do tend to scrape.
20. the finish is excellent, but i miss a reasonable amount of underseat storage for things like disk locks and chains. This means you always needs a pannier or top box.
21. I will never go back to a sports bike. (Unless i test ride the new BMW !!)
22. It costs about 2.5 to 4 Euros less at each petrol stop, that any of the other jap bikes. The BM also remains the most economical when using 'all of the rev range'
23. Seat is uncomfortable after a while unless you wind the rear suspension up so the angle of the seat changes. You can spoof this by adjusting only one of the height adjusters under the seat, or by getting the other half to make a sausage type ridge going across the seat so my bum leans against it.

So, I have tried to be as concise as humanly possible without missing out any facts. A true life evaluation.

Would love to hear your comments as i have never ever posted anything on a forum before in my life !!

Ian.

Top evaluation Ian!

I agree entirely - stick a can on though and make em' suffer!

Remus Revolution & Y piece and all your mates'll be trading in very soon.

doppleganger said:
I bought a brand new Multi a couple of months ago, great bike but I want to do Africa so, now selling for a late 1150GS (pref the Adv), if anbody wants to swap, I'm in the market!

I'm just back from Africa... see 'For Sale' . There's a remote chance that I'd be interested in a Multi swap. PM me if interested...

R.

There remains romance in the multistrada.

having just traded in a strada for a 1200 i do miss it. it still does things better for me then a 1200. but....

of all the analysis on this thread the main thing for me is...... rear view vision...... i ride faster now and 'dink' in traffic more often beacause there is no 'x' factour as to what is coming up behind.

well, 'yes' starting up with a hit is something too..... but then in the 'lean' expect a strada more nimble there.

chain maintence.... hate it. :mad: ducati warrenty is swift and true, by the way, and the strada is the most practical duke yet but like an italian love affair 'high maintenance'.

nice to see the 2005 strada range with the extended windscreen as standard.... works wonders the faster one goes...... infact less wind blast the faster one goes.

anyone want to buy an 'air hawk' cushion?

Attachments

• dunnet head.jpg
    dunnet head.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 259
Its a long time anybody has spoken about the Multistrada.

Nice bike anyway.

Anybody owned a Multistrada before the GS12? If yes, give me your feed back in term of engine power and handling.
Both Multistrada and GS12 are fun bike, I'm sure.

My GS12 is coming in April. Dreaming of it every day.

:type

Back
Top Bottom