R80G/S Front brake Options...

Cameron

While the computer was down I finally did some work on the bike.
Painted and installed the P/D tank.
Then had to fabricate new front turn signal mounts to clear the tank.

Took the thing for a good offroad ride and found the formerly poor front brake was useless with the extra fuel weight.

I have checked out several options for upgrading the front brakes.

Most New calipers and rotor (galfer, Ebc,PM)are around $900 and would still have to be made to (hopefully)fit with a bracket for the caliper and drilling and fitting the rotor to the old carrier.

So,Has anyone fitted a late model sport bike caliper (4piston)and rotor to a R80g/s? If I knew what would fit I could order it from the breakers and save the 9hour one way ride.

Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• resize of gs pics 036.jpg
    resize of gs pics 036.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,578
I have a 6 pot caliper off of a Kawisaki ZX11 and am having trouble having a carrier made for the stock rotor as there is a clerance issue this it and the spokes. I have been told that a larger diameter rotor is needed.
I need to contact Speigler for this. I am looking for other options aswell.
Good luck, keep us up on your findings and I will do the same.

there was a guy who fitted an EXUP calliper a long time ago.

plenty of ppl have fitted a K1100 item. cheap & easy.

try a search.

Heyup Cameron,

I have a '91 GS PD with the Harrison Billet 6 x pot caliper - works very well (some say too well!)

Available here in the UK - search here:

www.billet.co.uk

Pictures as follows:

Attachments

• pd1.jpg
    pd1.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,391
Goes well with the 'bike:D

Attachments

• pd14.jpg
    pd14.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,316
harrison jobbie is definitely a money no object option.

must be the only one in yorkshire :D

yes sir, i want one

Attachments

• imag0025.jpg
    imag0025.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1,296
I've got one on the K75 G/S.

Too much power. Fine on the tar. But tricky on dirt.

Much money to replace pads.

--- I think your better off with a 4 pot brembo off a K11. I'll be trying that when I get to that row of things to do.

Nice but...

The Harrison and the Performance machine 6 pot are both great solutions but I have an 1983 R80G/S and the caliper mounts behind the fork leg. I would love to upgrade the forks to later model GS but they are really hard to find here.

The spiegler 4 pot might be ok as the size listed is supposedly the same as 40mm brembo, I will have to check mounting tab spacing, however its $450 U.S just for the caliper...Ouch

I have considered k100 caliper and rotor as there are a few on ebay here, but I was hoping to go to a 320mm rotor and I'm not sure that the performance will be much better.

I think the long ride to the breakers with tape measure in hand is in order, if I can get the time off....

P.S. Here's the present setup...

Cheers, Peter

Attachments

• resize of gs pics 024.jpg
    resize of gs pics 024.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,686
cheap option

Step 1.
take hands off bars

step 2
hold arms horizontal

step3
face aplms forward

step4
cup hands

these work better than standard brake

alternate brake

This is a 4 piston Brembo from a Ducati 851. Works fine with stock rotor, no clearance problems. Bracket took a few hours to work out and fabricate.

Attachments

• brembo 4 piston caliper conversion right side.jpg
    brembo 4 piston caliper conversion right side.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,884
Re: alternate brake

jackafrica said:
This is a 4 piston Brembo from a Ducati 851. Works fine with stock rotor, no clearance problems. Bracket took a few hours to work out and fabricate.

Richo - do you have the drawings for the bracket??

Mike:)

These solutions all look great, but involve either manufacturing special mounting brackets (errrrrrrr...) or beautiful but hideously expensive aftermarket custom bits.

Can anything be done with trick pads to help the standard Brembos, or are they just too dismal for even that to help?

Thanks Richo, Thats what I'm after. That setup looks great. did you have to change the master cylinder size? I think my stock one is 14mm.

Thank's also to Tom.

Speigler USA has a couple of ways to get a decent new rotor. I can send them my old rotor and carrier and they will put on a fixed, semi, or full floating rotor , or you can buy the rotor and mount it to the carrier yourself. I should have prices by the end of the week.
Cheers, Peter

Picture of the exup caliper i put on my bike last year....It works great 2 finger braking, pads i recon will last over 20k, uses standard disk and above all the calipers are very cheap...
Pic is from spanish french border about a month ago..
brake2.jpg

Garry Holloway said:
Picture of the exup caliper i put on my bike last year....Pic is from spanish french border about a month ago..
brake2.jpg

that took a long time to stop. :D :D :D

Has anyone tried the "300:er Bremsscheibenkit" from Wunderlich?

www.wunderlich.de and search for prod nr: 8155000

Seems to be an easy way to make a decent improvement.
I am planning to go for them myself, togehter with a renovation of the front fork. Nice way to spend some winter evenings :)

I picked up a sumitomo 4 piston caliper at the breakers yesterday.
A glorious day long ride on the old RT in sunshine and about 20 bikes of various vintages to check the brakes on at the end.
The sumitomo caliper looks the same as exup and will mount about the same with the bottom bolting right to the fork and the top being held by a bracket.

But I am getting used to using full front brake on the long offroad downhills here and will have to adjust my riding style if the 4 piston works... pics to follow...

Back
Top Bottom