Re Keying Panniers

What a bargin! I seem to remember the last time I had it done it was about £12. And of course the new bike's keys are different to the last.:) :) :) :)

Pannier Keys

Just had my locks re-coded by COOPER BMW in Reading, rang them first to find out how much and was told “it’s free”. YES FREE…. And they did it while I waited. How’s that for service then!
(This must qualify for the cheapest BMW part award as well?)
:homer Whooo-Hoo!

Lee.
:D :D :D

Gauloises said:
Hi all
Picked up a 2nd hand pair of panniers today followed the instructions on this link http://sd.znet.com/~hays/rekey.html
and now ignition key fits the panniers took me 30 mins to do
hope this saves someone a few quid;)

Gauloises

Howdy Gauloises (or anybody who's in the know), cant get the link , found the znet home page but cant locate the rekey link.
Can ya throw any light on it!
Thanks.

Re: Re: Re Keying Panniers

Bob James said:
Howdy Gauloises (or anybody who's in the know), cant get the link , found the znet home page but cant locate the rekey link.
Thanks.

Try this one . Actually, it's already listed on this site under the red "links" tab.
HTH.

when you re-key your panniers, you also enable a large variety of keys to fit as well as your own.

Crikey i was a teenager when i posted that :D

Steptoe said:
when you re-key your panniers, you also enable a large variety of keys to fit as well as your own.

You been drinking again gramps :boozer

If i re-key my panniers to match my ignition, does that
mean that a variety of keys will fit that :confused:

No, just whatever lock barrell you cut the tumblers in .

Steptoe said:
No, just whatever lock barrell you cut the tumblers in .

Ah
so the combination of using only three wafers,
leaves more chance for an alien key to fit :)

Re-keying R1200 system top box

I know it's an old chestnut, but looking at the instructions to remove the lock barrel, I cannot see how to get it out. I'm trying to re-key a new to me top box.

The picture doesn't seem to be of the same pannier. I'm loathed to hand out more readies to MBW. Can anyone help?

Andy

Re-keying R1200 system top box

1200 can be key matched (had mine done)

1150 can't

Mike R

I think rekeying the (1200) panniers to the ignition key will make them more secure. Because the original pannier barrels only use 3 different levers, ie 27 combinations. The ignition lock uses 6 levers, therefore 729 combinations.

Andy - you'll need a supply of spare levers for the barrel. There are three typres of lever, numbers 1, 2 and 3, unsurprisingly. My dealer gave me the required levers for free, but it's hard to see which ones you need without trying the ignition key in the pannier barrel and deducing it by trial and error. I know your "local" dealer is quite a long way from you, perhaps you can get them to post you some levers? Or maybe it's a good excuse for a ride :D

To get the barrel out, first undo the three screws holding the entire mechanism in the pannier.

Then insert the key into the barrel and open the lock. Remove the yellow plastic thingy. Then get a small knife, and press in the metal tab that you can see on the left hand side of the barrel in this picture.

lock.jpg

The barrel should come out, in the direction of the key.

Hope that explains it ok :)

Back
Top Bottom