Rear Brake pads - when to change ?

Gecko

Reaction score
Seems like a daft question but my friendly local B*W told me at the last service that I must change my rear pads within the next 2000 to 2500km . That was 4000 km ago....so anyway today I changed them but looking at them how much more life is there still in them ?

The measurement with the guage is 0.60mm and 0.50mm on the two pads so I am happy the wear is resonably even. This measurement is the whole width of the pad - when should they really be changed or have I already been braking on 'borrowed time ' ?
Also the new pads would not go in with the anti chatter spring/clip ( at least I think that's what it's called) - is this a problem to just leave it out ?

Cheers
Gecko

According to the book, the minimum front pad thickness is 1.0mm. Minimum rear pad thickness is down to the 'wear mark'.

Sounds like yours may have been a bit thin!

Greg

Good thing I had two then :D
Do you know anything about the clip in the middle of the pic ? How vital is this and what is is supposed to do ?

Cheers Greg

Attachments

• resize of re-exposure of rear brake pads.jpg
    resize of re-exposure of rear brake pads.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 142
The manual appear to describe this part as an adapter plate but doesn't say what its function is. I suspect that it's there to stop the pads rattling around and to stop squeal.

I think that I'd try hard to refit it. Are you using BMW pads?

Greg

Yup I am using standard B*W super expensive pads. I managed to get it in - I checked the on line workshop manual and it says to take care to fit it with the arrow pointing forward - mine was too dirty so at first I didn't see the arrow. Just been out for a quick run and all seems fine :thumb .
Thanks for your help. Nice to have saved a few quid doing it myself. I wouldn't regard myself as a mechanic but I'll have a go .
.....Right now throttle balancing and valves next I think :D

Gecko said:
Good thing I had two then :D
Do you know anything about the clip in the middle of the pic ? How vital is this and what is is supposed to do ?

Cheers Greg

As discussed on the advrider forum, I've actually left it out as one theory says, by doing so, this helps prevent "sticky pads".

Hasn't had any effect on the braking.

The pads aren't bmw...

they're still brembo, mps should now have the evo version in stock, about 18 quid each which is about 10 quid cheaper.

Re: The pads aren't bmw...

Madmountainman said:
they're still brembo, mps should now have the evo version in stock, about 18 quid each which is about 10 quid cheaper.

Be wary of fitting non-OE pads during a warranty period. If, like me, you have the misfortune to warp discs, I can imagine BMW refusing a claim if you've not been using BMW pads.

Mike:)

I should perhaps mention that I have an antique R1100GS dated back from the last millenium :D and the pads are B*W either that or my local dealer is pulling a fast one selling non OEM pads in OEM boxes. The ones in the pic are the old ones which have the identical part nrs to the new ones.

Back
Top Bottom