Rear wheel wobble!!!

(RIP) sherpa

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
O OH!
Noticed some play - like bearing movement - in the rear wheel today (about 2mm side to side.)
Phone call to dealer reveals that it is a common problem on this years GS's - something to do with taper bearings not being preloaded properly at factory.
May be able to sort it in 1/2 hour or it may be a book in warranty job
Visiting on Thursday so i'll let you know
Sherpa;)

sherpa said:
O OH!
Noticed some play - like bearing movement - in the rear wheel today (about 2mm side to side.)
Phone call to dealer reveals that it is a common problem on this years GS's - something to do with taper bearings not being preloaded properly at factory.
May be able to sort it in 1/2 hour or it may be a book in warranty job
Visiting on Thursday so i'll let you know
Sherpa;)

Yep, I was advised on this at Park West at 600 mile service. There is a guy aparently who has been in 16 times and had 3 warranty replacements. They laughed at the time, I thought this would come up again.

Had mine checked at 6k service, all ok so far.

Nick

sorted

Popped in to Rainbow today and 1/2 hour later back wheel was sorted.
Apparently it would seem that some numpty kraut isn't doing his/her job properly and preloading the taper bearing on the inside of the swingarm (just ahead of the brake disc - big alan socket with locknut around ) Apparently it should be preloaded to about 7Nm and then backed off slightly.
We'll see how it goes!
Sherpa;)

Have a good holiday mate!
Lynn and I are spending the night out in North Yorks. on Sat. and bimbling our way back on Sunday
Martin has already complained about headset so told him to swap it at Rainbow - not heard anything about it yet but the one he returned had a lovely big thumb print in middle of left spaeker causing slight buzzing!!! I just knew it was a bad idea!
See you in a couple of weeks?
Sherpa;)

Back
Top Bottom