Ride Magazine - unfair article this month on all-weather boots

Cheesy Mike

Ride's Tried And Test article this month is all weather boots. They test every make of boot imaginable including Frank Thomas, Triumph, Oxtar, Altberg, Prexport, Akito, Heinz Gerkin, Sidi, BMW and Alpinestar. Alpinestar win it with their (undoubtedly excellent) GPS-3 boot.

But what about Daytona? Nowhere to be seen.

How can you seriously do a comparison of boots that are good in the wet without looking at Daytona? If they had been included one of their boots would no doubt have been in the top three, if not the very best. What a worthless article. I've a good mind to send the magazine back.

Mike

They obviously were not given any freebies then.....ucking bunch of ankers journo's are:D :D :D

As soon as I saw that Daytonas were not included I realised it was a pile of poo

The disappointing thing is that I really rate Ride magazine's product test / Best-Buy articles. It's the first thing I read when I get my copy.

Mike

I agree with all you've said but being an owner of the Alpinestars boots I can only say that I'm very impressed with 'em!

Maybe Daytona declined to take part, worried that they might not do as well as expected.

Sounds a bit like KTM.......

In fairness, Daytonas did come out second rated in the November issue of Ride's Rider Power boots section.

:)

Mike, we checked out those Daytona gloves at the NEC yesterday, found they were ok if you've got slim piano players hands!

Madmountainman said:
Mike, we checked out those Daytona gloves at the NEC yesterday, found they were ok if you've got slim piano players hands!

I should be fine then!

Mike

BOOTS

Dudes,
Let's be realistic, how many boots are out there. It can only ever be a small selection.
My 6 year old Falcons have just given up. Tempted by Altbergs, being British don't you know. e-mailed them but they did not reply. I am reluctant to order boots without trying them on, the impression I get is that there are no stockists, just mail order. Answrs anyone?

Wet feet are crap!!!

Madmountainman said:

Thats no good if your a well hung lesbian then !!!

explain again what p.c. means :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RIDE started off as quite a good magazine but, has deteriated into the usual emap crap.:mad:

Eliminator:

I'm not sure if Altberg have any stockists but I know people who have gone there and tried boots on. They also will do alteration / custom fit for a little extra. Either way, you know your'e going to get a good fit.

I was on the verge of buying some when some kind soul bought me a pair of Daytona Trans Open GTX which really are the bees conkers...

Madmountainman said:

I do not have anything like the aforementioned digits, but I seemed to have no trouble trying them on - in fact I thought them a little loose once on (they are supposed to be tightish round the wrist), but purchased a pair anyway and I'll let people know how I get on with them.

Re: BOOTS

ELIMINATOR said:
Dudes,
Let's be realistic, how many boots are out there. It can only ever be a small selection.
My 6 year old Falcons have just given up. Tempted by Altbergs, being British don't you know. e-mailed them but they did not reply. I am reluctant to order boots without trying them on, the impression I get is that there are no stockists, just mail order. Answrs anyone?

Wet feet are crap!!!

I have now emailed Altberg three times over the past several weeks and have never gotten a reply. As much as I would like a pair of their boots I'm not sure dealing with them would be worth the trouble.

Just received my pair of Altberg all weather Hogg Lites on Friday. I think I orderd them in August. Well worth the wait I reckon, quality of materials and workmanship are excellent. I normally take a size 8 and took a chance and ordered. Fit is excellent, for my pretty average type of feet.

Hardly taken them off since they arrived, even walking the dog with em on.

To be fair to them, they are a pretty small company and obviously they are kept busy enough through word of mouth recommendations. About three weeks after I ordered I got an e-mail to say that they were aiming to despatch my boots on the 29th October and they arrived on the 5th November. Don't mind waiting as long as I'm kept informed. Give them a call.

Re: altberg

Magicdragon said:
I have now emailed Altberg three times over the past several weeks and have never gotten a reply. As much as I would like a pair of their boots I'm not sure dealing with them would be worth the trouble.

I don't get / never have gotten the feeling they are a particularly "cyber" firm; they are good by telephone, or in person. I have worn the Clubman Roadsters for over 3 years now, and they are superb; I have since bought three pairs of walking shoes/boots off them - heavy boots, light boots, and black hiking shoes to scare people in the office.

Come to England, go to the factory for bike boots, or to the town shop for hiking boots. Have fish&chips while you are there.

Back
Top Bottom