Round 7: Rambling on..

Am just in process of persuading Mrs Fluffy that I really ought to do this trip at the end of the school holidays next Summer....

I think that has to be right.

Roberto, I'm loving it.

Cheers :thumb If you've the chance to get here it is worth the effort- this really is a great part of the world; so many differences, so many interesting places in such short reach of eachother.

hairnet says hope yer rash isnt bad and that the selections of beers are making you hopefully forget

heading from belfast in morning to cairnryan bit non glam compared to yourself :D

Ta. Hairnet knows nowt.. this is painful ya know :D

Enjoy, any rambles a ramble :thumb

Good one Rob .... keep it coming :thumb

Ride safe ...

:beerjug:

Ta Micky :thumb

Bang on observation, it was the first thing we noticed :) despite the road conditions and driving standards we liked Albania, a land of have's and have not's' lots of fancy cars and big houses which surprised me, along with the traditional farmers on their donkeys.

Enjoying your report Roberto, I will post a few photo's etc of our trip when yours is complete.
John.

Great place, agreed. Look forward to seeing yours in due course, John :thumb

Sveti Stefan to Cavtat

Well, here we are morning again. Another shot of Sveti Stefan by day although inconveniently obscured a little by an awning down there. Sorry, but I'm in shorts and with my spots still look ridiculous (even more so than I do in shorts usually) so I'm not hopping down the front looking like this for a better picture. And no I didn't dare use the big jacuzzi either tempting as it was.

9899809643_a68871040b_b.jpg

During the night there was an amazing storm; a sinister cartoon-esque storm with the silhouette of the island old town backdrop, thunder, lightning, the lot. It then got incredibly misty and continued to rain. I sat up and watched for an hour or so last night. Odd conditions but according to the lady at the hotel not at all unusual for the time of year around these parts.

Off we go North on a short run today.

Not so long and we're at the border..

9918370065_edaf5a85b3_c.jpg

And we're back in Croatia.

9918533743_0c4aa82224_c.jpg

Not much remarkable to speak of about riding North today; the roads were largely quiet, the weather agreeable and the going nice and easy.

Knowing that I'd recently stayed at a nice place I head for the very nice Villa Anka in Cavtat. If it seems like there's a familiarity to the destinations it really wasn’t the intention here for the main part, so I'm sorry if its becoming a bit like ride report UK Gold around here. As I say, not the intention but I knew that a certain pillion passenger would appreciate Cavtat and the day off tomorrow events I had plotted :thumb

Bike parked under the shade of the grapevine again.

9918538074_08594d9dc7_b.jpg

In an exact repeat of events previous the owner's son appears again as if by magic. "You're back" he says. "And there are more of you!" he exclaims. And he offers us grapes and... figs… Now wait a minute.. figs! I'd never tried them before. Could it be? I quietly decline the figs and have a grape.

We're given a pleasant room with a balcony.

Cat magnet again. It must be the medication.

9918561783_3094cbd66b_c.jpg

A walk to town, a quiet dinner, another very pleasant evening.

9918472386_f5c3b6893e_b.jpg

A whole 63 miles covered today.

Later on I get on line and find out a fair bit about fig allergies from the internet. Might well be what caused it, certainly some of the symptoms seem to look right..

Beer of the day: Osjusko. You find you can have a couple more when you know you're not riding tomorrow :)

Fig allergy....

I honestly thought I'd heard it all.

Looking good Roberto though only 63 miles; I managed a tricky 28 mile Ramble between Suffolk and Essex this morning, "Gnarlie" as the kid(z) say.

In the Fog.

Again.

Postcard from Croatia

I'd planned a day off in Dubrovnik for today and a stroll around the old city. I've visited before but certainly worth another look. A lot of tourist folk always it seems but nevertheless still an excellent place to visit. If you're that way on the bike and you fancy a pop in it is possible to park the bike up outside the city walls and take a wander in. The place is quite compact and easy to get around if you avoid some of the climbs.
The hotels by the old town itself were very expensive so ever the cheapskate I decided we'd stay in the next town and take (hopefully) an interesting trip in.

Return tickets are bought from a man sat under an umbrella by the waterside to take a launch along the coast.

9946589403_7311120508_c.jpg

Fuel for the day. I've discovered local Jaffa Keks, a mis-adventure diet essential.

9918542084_588377c937_c.jpg

A very nice forty five minutes bobbing down the coast.

9946597123_2c253bb33d_c.jpg

9946603916_f3a711bf66_b.jpg

It is possible to walk around the top of the perimeter walls of the city for some excellent photo opportunities.

9946674433_2915832c35_c.jpg

9946660903_38efb212e1_c.jpg

There's an admission price but that's worth the dosh.

9946664083_c38d8f2306_c.jpg

There's a good wine bar down that alleyway down there.

9946519986_97211e7706_b.jpg

9946509835_643caa81b9_c.jpg

Mind yer 'ead inside towers..

9946563505_9c2fb0b772_c.jpg

9946632443_3d3c87e9eb_c.jpg

A splendid venue to get hitched..

9946523764_346515c3cf_c.jpg

9946599014_4d1e1a8875_c.jpg

A good spot to have a beer is at the appropriately named 'Buza' perched outside the walls on the cliff edge..

9946612934_f126d2008f_b.jpg

.. And on a nicer day you could drop in for a dip. Perhaps not today though.

9946610364_4c14a75e0c_c.jpg

Weather not so clever but hey ho, still warm and pleasant enough, if not getting a bit windy.

9946580676_630a003a24_c.jpg

Lunch is taken. Italy not far away, Pizza pretty decent.

9946505496_26334dc578_c.jpg

Large amounts of tourist tat available. The barge hat seems pretty popular to be sported at a jaunty angle, naturally.

9946643866_9d83b017b7_c.jpg

Waiting for service..

9946756483_7160a2cff1_c.jpg

At 5pm we catch the boat back to Cavtat. By now the weather is closing and as we get out into more open water the boat really starts rolling around.

9946639015_e05c475c6f_b.jpg

However when a Scottish woman rebounded off of me and grabbed the rail throwing up all over the place, and me having to grab her leg in order to stop her falling out into the Adriatic, in conjunction with another chap. The smell of diesel and puke, well, I was about ready to be join the ranks of the honking classes. Fortunately that abated but a very a narrow escape.

"No more boats tonight" proclaims the big lad in charge of the boat as the chundering lass stumbles back to dry land.

No wonder, bloody scary that was. I'd recommend the boat ride but keep an eye on the weather, eh.

Beer of the day: Karlovacko Dark. I really really could get used to this place.

9946757173_b01db516ae_b.jpg

Brilliant!!!

Really enjoying it, a great read.

"Darling you were marvellous, a triumph!" 5***** (The Stage Magazine).

Gr8 write up as usual :thumb

Dubrovnic is beautiful - sad to see all the shrapnel damage though - even the pavements are scarred. And in our (adult) lifetime too....makes you think.

Buza bar is a good spot but easy to miss the hole-in-the-wall entrance!

We spent a day in Dubrovnic - met up with friends who were there on a long weekend - coincidence 1. ALSO met up with neighbours from our (small) village who were on another cruise ship - coincidence 2! Small world.

Need more RR - you're enjoying the holiday too much!

Cavtat to Karlobag

Morning, all. Better day. The ridiculous spots by now are going and the itching has now gone.

Opening of the doors we're greeted by this miffed chap.

10039975724_0092bd035f_c.jpg

Settling up time and the owner of the apartment gives a discount for coming back, most welcome. So the unexpected windfall is spent by having breakfast by the bay.

9946598685_1035ca597f_b.jpg

Heading along the coast again taking the main road around Dubrovnik, crossing the bridge North and you can see one of the tubs that brings so many of the visiting tourists.

10039996794_09d5f22e2b_c.jpg

Passenger has had too much coffee (again) so I'm left at the roadside whilst facilities are located. Sun is out. Raining at home. Not exactly a hardship.

10040059906_764455654b_c.jpg

A good morning to ride and not much traffic about.

10040073866_9090fe76ca_c.jpg

A number of trikes on the coast road and there are a few animated waves in our direction. The mind wanders and gets me thinking- do trike riders wave at other three wheeled variants such as Piaggio Apes, Reliant Regals, or those little blue disabled cars you used to see parked behind the goal at Stamford Bridge on The Big Match in the late seventies? Ah, such mysteries of life.

Some excellent views of the coastal landscape to be seen from the road.

10040081606_c43b162b94_c.jpg

The road climbs up into a hilly section before you're presented with a large lowland area where you can veer off to some seriously interesting places..

10040095806_dd498ceaf7_c.jpg

Part of the new road is picked up to link up to the motorway. Not long after 9am here. Rush hour is what I would term as 'light' :) Not much traffic to appreciate all of the engineering gone into this little lot.

10042168973_ffa51547ee_c.jpg

We've decided we want to make a decent move North today so we'll have to do some mile munching.

The main A1 isn't finished this far South yet so the new link ends abruptly although you can see the construction work going on in the hills, again things look quite impressive from a distance. Anyhow, once this is complete that'll get you to the town of Ploče a fair bit quicker.
Pictures of road signs are on special offer today, buy one, get one free, so have another one at no extra charge.

10042165883_0d4aa00d71_c.jpg

Eventually the A1 is found and we're heading North. A quick stop on the hard shoulder for a snap of the 50k miles being up on the bike. Marvellous. Here's to the next 50k. The old girl has done fantastically really and had a very hard year, but I've a lot of work to do if I want to catch some of those with proper miles on..

10040080823_9ff9697566_c.jpg

A break and a fill up at the services and more hum drum miles of motorway tarmac.

Some time later we've done alright. Miles made up. We're bored with the Motorway now. So we head off again to the coast, bung the bike in the shade and have an Ice Cream.

10039991643_e43a0302a3_c.jpg

Continuing along the coast we head into Zadar. Accommodation seemed pricey and (outside the old town I should say) we saw nothing at all special to draw us. We thought a decent opportunity to cover a few more miles so we decided to keep on going Northwards. We decided to check out the Island of Pag to the North East of us, and we could perhaps stop somewhere there, or take the ferry back to the mainland, who knows. So off we shot.

We saw a bit of traffic, plus some bloke on a GSXR who came past on a mission in flip flops. Of course, it'd be no match for a well ridden GS in flip flops. :D

10040215133_c85dd2261a_c.jpg

Pag is a curious place. For some reason that I read and can't properly remember there's hardly any vegetation on the Eastern side of the Island; just a barren, lunar landscape and very odd considering you can see the green-ish mainland not far away. Its something to do with the winds around here

The pictures I thought would be great from my camera phone turned out a bit odd. I think it’s another piece of technology that I've successfully ruined in the last twelve months. Reminder: never lend me anything with a battery, I won't aim to break it, but I probably will.

Here's one of Pag from my point and shoot camera; not great I suppose but you can get a sense of the variance between island and mainland over the back.

10042305584_b266c94b9f_c.jpg

Weather getting a bit dodgy on this side of the Island and over the mainland up in the hills there.

But over on the other side of the island, completely different, sort of like this different..

10040238313_6744e78f0a_c.jpg

We don't find anything in Pag either that tickles our fancy to stay at, so we think with it only being before 3pm we can go a fair but further; so we’ll take the ferry and carry on. Hopefully the weather will hold.

As we approach the ferry from the West, well, things didn't look great. Ah.

10040253253_b16294e255_c.jpg

And by the time we've bought a ticket and are wobbling onto the deck it is raining and raining hard. No shelter at all on the boat, save from under a staircase by a crew door so we squeeze into the gap with a couple of backpackers and a german couple on matching Aprilia Tounos. How very sociable.

My failing tech caught this picture, somehow it's very appropriate.

10039978405_52805fa5f8_b.jpg

The wind picks up too now. And the ferry is wobbling about now, so the German chap has to go and stand in the rain to stop his bikes from falling over, he doesn't look very happy as you might expect.

Off of the Ferry and about 10k south is the town of Karlobag, visited before and with a known little hotel. It wasn't an intention to go back, but the weather is awful and the pillon view is 'Had enough, want to warm up and get a shower'. Can't argue so that's where we head to. Room sourced for 50 Euros, bike stuck under a canopy and we hot foot up to a room and drying duties.

By the time we get sorted and come back to sort outside the weather has completely changed. It's nice; the cobbles are drying and the hotel staff are laying tables outside for dinner. So the evening is salvaged to some degree as the local inside dining opportunities looked a bit limited.

A taste of Pag: Pag cheese, which was very pleasant and not unlike an 'English' cheese. And a beer of course because it’s the law ;)

10039995723_48e02274da_b.jpg

We're peckish, so conclude some Dalmatian ham can be enjoyed. And enjoyed it was, very tasty, outscoring the cheese on a points decision.

10040000263_ab0a42fc9e_c.jpg

And then the mixed grill arrives. That's when the trouble starts. There's only two of us, you see. Whilst it is fair to say we can eat, we’re not expecting a Wallace Arnold coach party to join us and come and get stuck in.

10039860694_1e9ba19be3_c.jpg

And then the steak arrives, served on a wheelbarrow sized portion of chips.

10039998663_4902ff58b0_c.jpg

We had to surrender. Can't recall encountering that much food for quite a while..

A walk was needed to get rid of the vast amounts that we did manage to get through, offering another view of a pretty Adriatic evening.

Another view to Pag.

10039866264_c8660f6f17_c.jpg

Where did the clouds go? Incredible.

10039923355_3d470a38f9_c.jpg

Night night.

10039903325_728c5a86d6_b.jpg

Not forgetting Beer of the Day: Velibitsko. No classic to my taste but something a bit different to the other Croatian brews.

10040293873_d399234137_c.jpg

Glad the Spots are going

Did you ever find the cause ?

Allergy to iffy beer ?

Rob

Still reading with envy.
Has to be on my list of places to go.
Keep up the good report (and the good photos :aidan)

Rob we need a pic of you with a big shit eating grin as some of those pics you look a right Mizzog :D:D:D:D:D

as always nice pics and write up mate i hope the rash is calming down:thumb2

Cheers all :beerjug:

Did you ever find the cause ?

Allergy to iffy beer ?

Not yet, off to see the GP soon. Allergy to ale? Nah, shurely shome mishtake.. :friday

Rob we need a pic of you with a big shit eating grin as some of those pics you look a right Mizzog :D:D:D:D:D

as always nice pics and write up mate i hope the rash is calming down:thumb2

Cheers.. pretty much sorted.

I'm sure I'll have a picture with a smile in it somewhere, it looks as that I'm such a miserable bastard.. I can assure you in real life I'm not , honest :D :thumb

pag.

must. do. pag.

views food weather

want

thanks rob (ya git) :D

How can ya, you're always heading West 'cross the sea :D

Pag? Couple of speed bunning days and a bit, you're down here. Worth it, Mark :thumb

Karlobag to Ljubljana

It rained again overnight but the morning is clear. Quiet out. We have breakfast sat outside. Barely a car runs past on the coast road while we sit.
The coffee tastes really good and I don't want to move but I suppose we really have to do it.

I hang my jacket on a hanger on the curtain rail in the room of the hotel and the whole lot comes crashing down on to me. I hope this doesn't give an indication of the day ahead.
After some impromptu repairs we make for the coast road. Still quiet.

The views, ah, the views.

10052059935_332f0302c6_c.jpg

Very quiet. In fact, we registered 22 miles (yup, what an anorak I am eh) before we came upon the first bit of traffic- a coach which stopped to pick someone up as if by magic before I could work out an overtake and so we're back to being on our own.

10052042974_84259a68a0_c.jpg

Forty or so quiet minutes on from that we stop for a coffee at a little town on the seafront. After this we'd have the last stretch before we say goodbye to that view of the Adriatic :(

No sir, that's not my hat.

10052070085_69011bce5f_b.jpg

In the half an hour of us stopping for a drink it seems everyone else has come out to play and the going turns to slow. There are sections of roadworks, too, which slows things down and bunches things up. Oh well, we can be thankful for our early morning run.

10052183373_7e8c73d876_c.jpg

All types of 'adventure riders' here :)

like this..

10052197353_fd83af3884_c.jpg

And.. like this, ahem :D

10052093703_32462a5e23_c.jpg

Had a bizarre encounter with a German bike today, bit odd. It started on the coast road, in one of the clusters of roadworks with traffic lights we filtered gently up, past a couple on an RT, on up to the front. He then came along up and then hustled past in the single file part of the roadworks themselves, possibly a bit miffed that we'd gone past. Strange but I can't say I was particularly bothered, on holiday and all that.. relax, take it easy..

Anyway, the Adriatic highway is a memory now.

10052104695_7c1e9f8ccd_c.jpg

My next encounter with the German fella on the RT is in a McDonalds at the services on the main road North of Rijeka, (where I have been commanded to stop to obtain a McFlurry). He's stood in the queue next to me. Our queue moves quicker. I'm served before him.

Back to the road. They whizz past again. We cross paths at a toll booth. Our queue moves quickly and I have money ready. We go through.

They whizz past again.

At the border to Slovenia now. Two queues. Our queue moves faster. Out on the other side we stop to put Passports back and he comes roaring past again. Bizarre.

We set off and on this side of the border things now become a two way road though the Slovenian greenery and not easy going. We pass a couple of cars are moving along slowly but surely. Our friends on the RT are up there, pulling dodgy overtakes. I hate that because when its my turn the driver that has been annoyed by a poor overtake then they're likely to make things difficult for you coming through perhaps thinking you're loons together. This happens once.

This is the bloke, up here. I'm keeping well back because he's a bloody nuisance. This is shortly before he overtakes over a solid white line and barging in on a blind bend. Blimey.

10052206333_d7396428b6_c.jpg

I decide to stop and have a break and hopefully let this guy get the hell away from us. The thing that really annoys me- kill yourself by all means, go ahead, but with a passenger? Don't get me started.

We decide to just get on the motorway to go to Ljubljana. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Slovenian capital as I've heard good, good things. Timpo of this parish has recommended a hotel in the centre so I hop onto the web and book a room. A little pricey but that's OK, it is after all the only 'big city' that we'll stay in on this trip I suppose.

There's an accident on the motorway. Filtering is easy though, everyone moves out of the way here :thumb

10052141586_502648271f_c.jpg

At the front all a bit strange. The two cars stopped in lane 2 have barely touched by the looks of things but they're all stood around with arms folded oblivious to what is going on anywhere else.

Ljubljana is a very small city and very easy to get in to. It seems almost sort of Oxford sized, with a good ring road and wide avenues. We roll up at the hotel. We can park on the pavement outside. "You'll have no problems here sir" says the chap. And we're right by the main Police station, too, not that I had any doubt.

We've got a nice room in a nice hotel in what looks like a very nice place. Excellent!

No beer of the day today but I'm definitely going to make up for it.

Nice one Rob. When you back in the UK then?:augie

Back
Top Bottom