Rusty Bars?

martinc.d

Reaction score
Hi All,
Having recently purchased my new Adv complete with OE engine bars i took it for a spin got it dirty got home washed / cleaned /dried it and put it away for the night. Got up nxt morning got it back out and to my horror found rust (colour) coming from the gap below the bracket where the front cross bar joins the two side lower parts (where the nut and bolt are)
Phoned the dealer who said with out question new bars to be fitted at the 600ml service.when he checked teir demo Adv it too had rusty spot,so he is to notify BM to see if ther have been other complaints because he does not want to fit new lower bars foe the problem to return.
I`m just posting this thread to see if any of you have had or heard of this? Look forward to your replys

thx MD

Me too. I just clean off the rust stain when I wash the bike but its in for a service on 24th so I'll have them look at it. Get used to it though, I think its part of the charm of owning a BMW!:D :D :D

Yeah! I get rusty stains the next day on my O/E bars everytime I've put the bike away wet. It's been like that since new.

Don't pay it much heed though. A quick wipe with a chamois and they are gone. Autosol maybe once every other month. Nearly a year old now and there's no sign of pitting or bubbling. Hell! They're meant to be sacrificial after all. It would be no good making them out of really top quality chrome-moly steel or they would just go and shatter at the moment of estocada (just the moment when what you want from them is a little bit of peto). Milder steel is probably best...and mild steel tends to rust.

Well it`s always nice to hear from someone else with the same fault/problem. I must admit spraying the area with Wd40 seems to keep it at bay. Boundless if yours is a year old with no further prob`s i`m now wondering if i should have new parts fitted or just leave it be ?

MD

Martin.... You get them replaced on warranty, ask to keep or buy the old ones........... and sell them to me for a profit.

martinc.d said:
Hi All,
Having recently purchased my new Adv complete with OE engine bars i took it for a spin got it dirty got home washed / cleaned /dried it and put it away for the night. Got up nxt morning got it back out and to my horror found rust (colour) coming from the gap below the bracket where the front cross bar joins the two side lower parts (where the nut and bolt are)
Phoned the dealer who said with out question new bars to be fitted at the 600ml service.when he checked teir demo Adv it too had rusty spot,so he is to notify BM to see if ther have been other complaints because he does not want to fit new lower bars foe the problem to return.
I`m just posting this thread to see if any of you have had or heard of this? Look forward to your replys

thx MD
MD
I've brought a couple of sets of ebay with the same problem,
isn't warranty a wonderful thing :thumb

Gates :chewstick

Hi, I had the same thing on my engine bars, but when i took them apart as part of my stainless steel bolt upgrade, i found it only to be the iron washer they use for the bolt. So all i did was to replace the washer with a stainless steel one and two winters later still good as new..

P.S. i also replaced the bolt for a stainless steel one, just for completeness.

"Well sir we do expect to see some signs of corosion with age, as you know...................................................................they all do that sir"

Attachments

• r52r.jpg
    r52r.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 303
Re: Re: Rusty Bars?

Gauloises said:
MD
I've brought a couple of sets of ebay with the same problem,
isn't warranty a wonderful thing :thumb

Gates :chewstick

Mr Gauloises. Have you any spare sets......... or have you fitted several sets of bars to your bike to form a complete roll cage.
Rusty adv bars would be fine. I want to powder coat them.

same thing happened to me with my h&B bars, not best pleased as they are only a month old. bit of metal polish seems to have sorted it though.

Re: Re: Re: Rusty Bars?

Den said:
Mr Gauloises. Have you any spare sets......... or have you fitted several sets of bars to your bike to form a complete roll cage.
Rusty adv bars would be fine. I want to powder coat them.

Sorry Den
One sets on the bike, and i sold the other to another forum member.
If you do get some you'll have to mess around with your
bash plate,the ADV one doesn't fit also the front oil pipe may
rub :)

Well thanks all for your comments:)
Den,i`ll see what i can do but the time i have at the moment it will be end of nxt month before it goes to the dealer.
Yellowjacket, i shall check to see if there is a washer between the nut/bolt anything to stop it ,I take it your bars are the OE one`s?
Whatton63, i agree,with age yes but not the day after i picked it up:(
Again thx all MD

martinc.d said:
Well thanks all for your comments:)
Den,i`ll see what i can do but the time i have at the moment it will be end of nxt month before it goes to the dealer.

Ta Martin, I will wait with baited breasts.

yellowjacket said:
Hi, I had the same thing on my engine bars, but when i took them apart as part of my stainless steel bolt upgrade, i found it only to be the iron washer they use for the bolt. So all i did was to replace the washer with a stainless steel one and two winters later still good as new..

P.S. i also replaced the bolt for a stainless steel one, just for completeness.

Me too. Change the crap rusty iron for stainless, problem solved!

Sorry to sound like an anorak, I work in surgical instrument manufacturing & the term stainless steel is misleading - all steel will stain & rust, its how its treated at final process that counts. My guess is the buggers are using a cheaper grade or not getting the final process right.
I usually spray some wd on a cloth and wipe it over to avoid the staining.
The price is bloody steep for the bars when you consider you can buy a 2 bike trailer for less!
I noticed some of you may have bought bars off ebay, you can get them treated for a fraction of the cost of new ones.
Gotta go theres a rather angry chap from BMW engineering at the door - calm down fritz!!!!!!!!!!!! :shoot:

SHORTY MAC.... New bike, new member, (3posts) and you have these guys sussed, and Fritzzz. pssst off :D :D :D :D
Welcome to the world of MBW, where you will have your Nutzzzz twisted, and a Jack boot up your jacksie at every opportunity, but they have us keep coming back for more. (at least I seem to )
These bikes do put us in a different dimension and debt levels equal to some third world countries.:) :)

Ta Grizz, Yeah the bikes r gr8, I have to feel sorry for the guys who bought the first 1100 & 1150's - they must have have laughed at the plastric fantastic arse in the air brigade ie. ME but now we've caught on. It seems every other bike I see is a GS !

The GS is technically brilliant, it pokes a finger in the eye of our japanese & italian bretheren but build quality is way off - still I love it though even if fritz is a penny pinching tight arse when it comes to steel choice & finish

Now wheres that ladder, i want to get back on me bike :confused:

Back
Top Bottom