Santander to Fes

rossman999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at the feasability of me and the Mrs going to Fes in October and trying to do it in circa 2 weeks. Sticking to 4 hours a day ridding it should be possible to get across Spain and Portugal in 4 days which would give us circa 4 days in Morocco am I cutting it too tight in morocco and need to spend longer there?

What if you got stuck in Santander traffic for 30 minutes and do bathroom breaks count as part of your 4 hours? .
Heading for Fes, you don't go near Portugal ( unless you wish to visit that country natch!)
What type of roads?
What speeds are you planning to travel at?
What avoidances?
What bum pain/ back pain tolerances ?
Will you have too many beers the night before?
Does weather bother you?
There are simply too many variables :duno
If you were to say exactly where you wanted to be, how long to visit etc, then one could offer more pratical info- at the moment it's a bit like 'how long is my piece of string' !

I'd suggest you plan your route in GE or BC or MyRoute which will give you the answers you seek.
Or, calling Richard to the planning table:hide

Last edited:
Last year I went from Santander to Ceuta, did a varied route, and this worked for me.

Off the boat at about 3pm, cruised down to Salamanca on the free motorway, got there about 8pm. https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Pue...2!1d-5.6700092!2d40.9647027!3e0!4e1?entry=ttu

Scenic bimble down to Cuenca, then Seville, then Ceuta. If you could do just over 6 hours (400 miles) riding, then you could be in Algeciras the next evening if you use the motorway, or lunch time the day after if not.

Many thanks, for the contributions and understand the difficulties - managed to have a nice leasurely trip to Riga last year via Dresden mostly via A roads and not motorways as the bum will really only cope with 4 hours a day without it being a bind and no longer being a holiday.

Google maps says its def possible taking the coast road down, across to morocco and the route suggested by john above on way back but just trying to sense check as just because you can dosent mean you should :)

I have no idea what you are doing in Portugal.

Santander to Tarifa, direct but avoiding motorways, is about 670 miles.

Spread over four days, that is 170 miles a day.

I assume you mean four hours of riding, to which will be added hour(s) of stops, lunch etc. Four hours of moving forwards, over 170 miles of non-motorway roads, equates to 42 mph average. If you can do that for four days, job done.

If you chuck in some motorway (nobody will know, if you don’t tell them) the average speed will increase and the time spent moving forward will reduce.

Your turn now….

Back
Top Bottom