scotland off-road

Corsican Dave

having done some bits and pieces (some legitimate, some distinctly less so!;) ) i'm trying to compile a gazetteer of off-road rides/tracks in scotland.

1) if anyone has experience of suitable, or even completely unsuitable routes, please let me have the details.

2) if i'm treading on any toes, or duplicating work shown elsewhere, let me know.

3)due to the potentially sensitive nature of this subject, you may have views regarding whether, or where, this information should be published. once again, let me know.

4) i'll treat any information in strictest confidence if required; although that doesn't sound like members of the GS Club i've met so far!!

dave :cool:

A dodgy subject..!!

Dave,
A couple of years ago I took a holiday from "ScotBike" Tors based in Inverurie. I still have the marked up maps somewhere - although the owner included the caviat that he only suggested that I use these routes but to check the legallity first.

I spent 3 days off road and can say it was a fantastic 3 days but most were unsuitable for a big GS and nearly out of limits for a 650GS.

I'm offshore in a few days but when I come back I'll pop along to Bramaer and go through them with you. Do you recognise this?? It;s not to far from Bramaer??

HAve Fun

AndyT

Attachments

• jailing bike hol.jpg
    jailing bike hol.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 626
There are some lovely estate roads around Ben Avon - but I suspect they are about as legal to ride on as it is for the landowner to shoot you (and that won't stop him!)

Iain

re: not getting shot

trust me guys, i'm working on this...!

d:gringo

Dave,
How you going with your compilation of off road tracks? I've tried searching the web in he past for info about legal tracks etc in Scotland but come up with nothing. Would love to get a dirt bike, KDX or something to start out with, but where to use it??

N.E.Scotland

Last week the night before I came offshore I met a couple of guys (one on an XR400 and one on a XR650) in the woods at Banchory and questioned them about the legallity and they say they have never been stopped in 15 years and do a regular 60 miles offroad each weekend. I am going to quiz them more when I get back as one lives not to far from me.

regards

AndyT:cool:

update

have done quite a bit in the last few weeks, mostly with permission. i'm currently in the lengthy process of talking with estate factors and trying to secure the occasional ride for limited numbers of riders. maybe not the free and easy access we'd all like, but at least i'm being talked to..! i'm trying to emphasise the "sensible, environmentally aware" approach (being an applied biologist helps): hence these opportunities, should they become available, will be for small groups (around 12 max) and will be for gs riders only. i'm not trying to be elitist; i'm looking after #1! rorty piped moto-crossers are not the best way to impress people concerned with managing an environmentally sensitive area. they also have the red-sock and green-welly brigade to keep happy, most of whom are my customers too.

how do people feel about paying for access on an as-and-when basis? your thoughts on any of these points/issues would be appreciated.

Off Road routes

Dave,
I havn't managed to get the maps copied yet so will take them offshore with me in the morning and post a set on to you. I went out today to try and find that old car again from the previous photo but can't remember where it is. This is a nice lane though not to far from Corgarff and comes out on the road to CockBridge.

Have Fun

AndyT

Attachments

• offroad1.jpg
    offroad1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 553
Dave, still drooling over the Picos maps etc, will get them back up to you shortly....
I for one would happliy pay a few quid for a few miles of good tracks in the middle of nowhere. As long as it wasn't back pocket money for some rich earl etc and either went to a local good cause or to trail and land management..

it's not dead!!

okay guys,

obviously getting this stuff on the site is either horribly contentious, or it ain't being done.... however, there are still a few die-hards out there plugging away. i picked up some nice beta on an absolute hoot of a trail last weekend (thanks dave, you know who you are!)

i am now compiling a list of routes complete with gradings and access issues. if ANYONE has information on routes they've done, please let me know. i'll go out and check them, then add them to the list. (andy t, thanks for all your info!)

cheers,

Dave,
I'm off to the Picos myself when I get back onshore and would be grateful for any tips where to go. There are 3 of us but only myself on a dual purpose so nothing to adventurous as its not wise on my own. I won't be able to make the run over there with the well'ard gang but I'll catch you one day soon.

regards
AndyT:cool:

Dave
PM me if you get a ride sorted (well in advance if poss) I'd love to get out with you on some of those longer, remoter, easier trails !
Hope to be up that way in June, I'll phone and hope you might even be off work for one of the days. Ciao, Fritz ;)

Thought I'd ressurect this old thread. Trying to find info on offroading in Scotland is no easy challenge on the web. Seems like folk are playing cards close to their chests. ;)

Any suggestions? Or do I have to go an do the Forest Drive at Keilder next w/e? :rolleyes:

C'mon, it's been 2 1/2 months since I did my BWM course and about time I had some form of off road entertainment.

Kai :nenau

SpyInTheCamp said:
C'mon, it's been 2 1/2 months since I did my BWM course and about time I had some form of off road entertainment.
I think you should probably talk to Gordon. ;)

Iain Hogg said:
There are some lovely estate roads around Ben Avon - but I suspect they are about as legal to ride on as it is for the landowner to shoot you (and that won't stop him!)

Iain

Have done a lot of Mountain Biking in that area and rough camping and can say that I have never been stopped, and have hardly met any traffic in Glen Avon....

By the wAY.....tHERE IS A CRACKING Bothie near the top end of the Glen... :clap

Hi Dave

I'd love copies of your off road routes when you get them sorted out. I did post a topic on a forum recently and someone replied relating to a route through the Corrieyarick pass. Can't remember which bloody forum that was on now but I'll have a shift around and come back on that.

Corrieyarick Pass Route

Yes, I remember now, I received the reply for a thread I started on this topic on the F650 Forum. :)

Here's the reply I got concerning the subject generally and the Corriarick route in particular:

"The corrieyairick pass has been used by 4x4 for years (its a route between fort augustus and Lagan on the A 86. However part of the road is missing and it is used by a lot of walkers and mountain bikers, so beware of the scowls! There,s a good map of the route with description here http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/routes/whatmtb/corrieyairack.html

The other route I know of is a public road near St Mary's Loch. on the A708. If you head up the road past Tibbie Shiels Pub, it becomes part of the Southern Upland way. There are gates, and it it is very mossy. It emenges at B709. As far as I know it is a public road but neglected by Borders Council.

It's the usual usual story though with all these routes. You will undoubtedly meet with some opposition telling you you shouldn't be there, whilst they have every right to be there, of course.

Try some 4x4 sites as they often have little secret routes! "

Incidentally, how can I e-mail or PM you Dave for further information on your compilations to date?

netwarrior said:
Yes, I remember now, I received the reply for a thread I started on this topic on the F650 Forum. :)

Here's the reply I got concerning the subject generally and the Corriarick route in particular:

"The corrieyairick pass has been used by 4x4 for years (its a route between fort augustus and Lagan on the A 86. However part of the road is missing and it is used by a lot of walkers and mountain bikers, so beware of the scowls! There,s a good map of the route with description here http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk/routes/whatmtb/corrieyairack.html

The other route I know of is a public road near St Mary's Loch. on the A708. If you head up the road past Tibbie Shiels Pub, it becomes part of the Southern Upland way. There are gates, and it it is very mossy. It emenges at B709. As far as I know it is a public road but neglected by Borders Council.

It's the usual usual story though with all these routes. You will undoubtedly meet with some opposition telling you you shouldn't be there, whilst they have every right to be there, of course.

Try some 4x4 sites as they often have little secret routes! "

Incidentally, how can I e-mail or PM you Dave for further information on your compilations to date?

Netwarrior,
Corsican Dave's posts were done 3 years ago. It would seem that he is now a lapsed member :nenau They've re-appeared cos Kai (Spy In The Camp) added a post to the original thread just recently.

You won't be able to PM anyone unless you become a Site Sponsnor. I'm sure that once you've seen the benefits of spending 15 quid thus, you'll jump in with both feet and become a REAL tosser :thumb

Ps while in tiby Shields the other week I asked about that track and the landlady confirmed it's a road - ie unmaintained highway. Sadly didn't have time (and fully loaded) to ride it then, she said it was no really problem just pretty poor condition in places pothole wise.....what ever became of the wildly top lip haired one :nenau

Back
Top Bottom