Shorter rear shock

• Thread starter Deleted Member Mtn
  • Start date

Deleted Member Mtn

does anybody know if and where i can get a shorter rear shock for a 1200GS
tried one out on friday but the low seat just isnt quite enough...and i need about another inch off the height if i'm going to be able to ride it confidently......
i noticed a cowl type thing around it..so maybe its not possible on this model..unlike the 1100GS

motomartin said:
.....but you haven't got one ?

not yet.....but i've been made an offer thats very difficult to refuse....

have you tried the very low bmw seat? (they offer a seat height reduction option on the 12)

Saw a 1200 in Andorra with a Ohlins rear shock. Now they already make a shorter rear shock for the GSA, I know that cos me bruv has it fitted. Try giving them a ring Marion they are usually really helpfull unlike me who cant find the number now :(

Hi Matron,

I spoke to an Ohlins dealer a few weeks ago and he quoted me £990 to supply and fit a shorter rear unit. I thought it was a bit pricy. I can just manage to tiptoe with a low seat and my 27.5 inch inside leg!

Regards

Reggie (AKA The Cameraman)

Wilbers, the German company, makes excellent shocks for the R1200GS. They are custom built for the rider (apparently you can't buy them off-the-shelf). One of their options is "ride height adjustment".

I ordered a pair (front and rear) which should arrive by the end of the month. I specified the shock to be built 1/2" shorter than normal, with a 1" range of adjustment so I could go from stock height to 1" lower.

I'll report here when they show up.

My thinking was that having about a 1/2" lower shock in the rear might improve the bike's stability. That would be a Good Thing(tm)...

Matron

The lower BWM seat isn't that much low. Wunderlich do one that's supposedly a fair bit lower.

Also the suspension settles a fair bit from new, which doesn't help if the one you tried had loadsa miles on it.

All the best in your quest.

Goin 'commando 'd save a mm:D

Tobers said:
Just let the rear tyre down a bit - job done :D

Bah! Less air in the tyre will only make it flatter on one spot.... and that can give a bumpy ride.... :rolleyes:

I'll get my coat...

Reggie said:
Hi Matron,

I can just manage to tiptoe with a low seat and my 27.5 inch inside leg!

Regards

Reggie (AKA The Cameraman)

well i only have a 26" inside leg...so you can see the problem i have......
waiting for ohlins to get back to me......

at the bike show yesterday
3 shock absorber people sourced
1 took the pish
2 were very helpful

WP Racing said £336 for front...£499 for rear custom made and delivered in the new year.....

The nice man at Harris Racing quoted me for Ohlins independent shocks....
front £395 rear £436....plus £100 for fitting and setting up the bike for me at their place in Herts.......(thats the whole ride position...not just the shocks)

does this sound a good deal??

The Harris job would be the best option if money isn't a problem. Having the bike specifically set up for you makes a massive difference. Had it done once long time ago and if I had to have it done again I would.

Matron said:
at the bike show yesterday
3 shock absorber people sourced
1 took the pish
2 were very helpful

I sincerely hope that you didn't get the pish because you're a not-man... ?!? My girlfriend was with me (as always) at the show on Thu... and she was seriously hacked off by being "the little pillion miss" :shoot:

... And she's generally annoyed at the whole "girls only do pillion rides"-attitude., which involves degrading comments, not being served in shops nor taken seriously, etc... :mad:

I guess biggest (moneywise) pishtake she has experienced was when she was at a dealer and told the sales guy she'll buy a brand new bike, in about 3 months when the bank will give her the loan - guy didn't even look up from the papers... He lost £5500 deal...

... Anyhoo, rant over!

Good deal? I reckon that a well set up bike is something very extra crispy special, height or no height... If you wallet can take it, I reckon the Ohlins deal sounds like it'll, not only allow you to ride the bike, but you'll be able to ride it better and enjoy it more! :beerjug:

Nothing but high praise from me for Harris - the price seems on the money (they are Ohlins offical distributer in the UK so they should be). The fitting is one thing, the setting up something different altogether.

The difference between a properly set up suspension and an off the shelf bolted on one is a fair country mile.

Ohlins & a 1200 eh? Maybe I need to pay closer attention to Mrs Judge's grade G payslip!! ;)

but i'm only on an E grade judge...but the new intake of doctors called me 'SISTER' the other day...fair went to me head ....
thats why i'm doing all this tentative homework to see how soon i can afford to go down the 1200 road......'cos thats the only road i can see me going down.......

TheJoker said:
I sincerely hope that you didn't get the pish because you're a not-man... ?!? My girlfriend was with me (as always) at the show on Thu... and she was seriously hacked off by being "the little pillion miss" :shoot:

I guess biggest (moneywise) pishtake she has experienced was when she was at a dealer and told the sales guy she'll buy a brand new bike, in about 3 months when the bank will give her the loan - guy didn't even look up from the papers... He lost £5500 deal...

what i would have done is turn up on the spanking new bike at the dealers who took the pish...

only really had that once...a dealer wouldnt take me seriously about buying a bike as they deemed it too big for me....went out and bought the same model privately and took it to them for servicing.....thinking....CAN!!!

Back
Top Bottom