sleeping bag and mattress advice?

Monsieur

Most respected and loved member
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good quality sleeping bag and mattress.
Warm enough for the cold nights (not planning any artic trips though so down to no lower than 5c) but cool enough for those balmy summer nights (if they ever come back). Must also be fairly light and pack into a small place...oh, and be a 'mans' colour not one of those orange things!
Ditto for the mattress - heard about thermarest but know nothing about them.
Any advice gratefully received :thumb2
Any sales on at the moment?

Exped down filled mattress
Snugpack millitary harrier bag
Rectangular bag liner so you can slip it over the Exped and use as a fitted sheet with the bag open as a duvet when its hot.

Exped down filled mattress
Snugpack millitary harrier bag
Rectangular bag liner so you can slip it over the Exped and use as a fitted sheet with the bag open as a duvet when its hot.

All availible from (AFAIK) Travel-Dri Les. :thumb2

Doesn't he advertise on here somewhere?

north face cat's meaow brilliant not down but warm as toast and one of them therma rests:thumb whole lot in goretex bivi sweet as down to -10 and lower...:thumb

I have a down bag which is said to be comfort to 3 and extreme to -11 or something. I'd add 5 to those figs in the real world. Or put another way you need a 3 season bag for this country.

Mine is rated at 2 season but found at around 5c is was slightly chilly. In warm weather you can open them up or just sleep in a liner.

I have a silk one for warm weather and a fleece one for cold. With the fleece one in my bag I was more than snug at 2.5C.

The fleece is nearly as big as the bag but does stay warm if wet and never feels clamy so works well I think. Shouldn't be required if you get a heavier bag. I didn't go for a 3 season so I could use it in a caravan etc and abroad.

I have a Gelert mat which cost a bargain £10 and appears to be the same thing as a thermarest. It is though a 3/4 one, It works fine so long as something like a jacket is under my ankles else the cold can be felt. I'd get a full length one unless weight is a high priority.

Mats

Try Alpkit .com
Try their self inflating mat get the largest. Keeps you warm and comfy great nights sleep.
It is an essential item imho. Mine cost £30.00 a couple of years ago.Cheap and good.

Shane

Buy the cheapest bag going and spend your money on beer and spirits. You won't remember going to bed never mind sleeping in it :thumb2

Thanks for the advice guys - I'll look into those mentioned :thumb2

Buy the cheapest bag going and spend your money on beer and spirits. You won't remember going to bed never mind sleeping in it :thumb2

Theres a lot to be said for that :beerjug:

Buy the cheapest bag going and spend your money on beer and spirits. You won't remember going to bed never mind sleeping in it

Yeah, good advice but someone's forgotten about the phantom Felt tip pen men:D

The marmot Wave 3 got great reviews in trail magazine and won 1st place in a test of 3 season synthetic bags. Available from Cotswold Outdoor for £70. It may be too warm though, as it is rated to -7 degrees celsius at the comfort level.

thermarest classic 25mm thick mat full length not 3/4 any 3 season bag any colour but synthetic filling as it will compress down in a compression sack, down will damage if compressed too much and does not dry quickly if you get damp in the night through the beer and spirits mentioned earlier

andy:aidan:augie

Back
Top Bottom