Sleet - in August?

MikeO

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
23rd August

7700893-L.jpg

I took yesterday off, to give my left leg a bit of time to heal up. It’s still swollen and a variety of colours, but otherwise isn’t a snag. I chose my day off well – it hammered down with rain and blew a gale for most of the day.

Today I’m packed and on the road, fuelled (and jet-washed :D) by 1000, heading for Red Lodge.

7700828-L.jpg

I ride north up highway 120, turning left onto the Chief Joseph Highway. I rode down this road back on 22nd April, when I encountered sleet showers at Dead Indian Pass – and a wild turkey on the way back down :D. Today, the weather is better – although it’s colder than I’ve recently been experiencing - and it’s getting windier, the higher I climb…

7700837-L.jpg

The Chief Joseph Highway is an excellent road to ride…

7700839-L.jpg

…although today, I keep coming across patches of gravel and small rocks which have been washed onto the road by yesterday’s rain. Eventually I reach Dead Indian Pass, which marks the top of a series of fantastic switchbacks, leading down into the steep-sided valley below…

7700886-L.jpg

I ride down, pummelled by winds which are funnelled by the valleys and change direction from one second to the next.

I stop for an early lunch at Clarks Fork where I meet a couple who have just travelled from Red Lodge, over the Bear Tooth Pass – my intended route. They tell me that it’s snowing up there, as well as being extremely windy. I dig out my heated gloves and jacket from the bottom of my pannier and, after lots of hot coffee, depart.

7700844-L.jpg

It’s cold – a new experience for me :D – and the top of the hills are tickling the bottom of some threatening looking clouds. I run into sleet flurries as I climb the long series of switchbacks leading to the West Summit…

7700887-L.jpg

…but no snow. There is fresh snow lightly covering the scrub on the verges, but the roads remain black. I ride carefully, severely buffeted by wind and determined to keep to the dry patches of road – at these temperatures, I’m not confident I won’t encounter ice.

It’s so windy that, even when I’m riding at 50-60 mph, I’m still overtaken by the shadows of clouds being blown in the same direction I’m travelling. It’s not an easy ride, but worth it for the views…

7700895-L.jpg

I eventually start the last, long descent towards Red Lodge…

7700896-L.jpg

…where, I’m disappointed to find, Hank’s Café is closed – this is the excellent little eatery where I met up with the Becker family on the 24th June. Ah, well – I’ll eat later. I ride along FR 308 to Belfry, then turn right along Montana 72 south. It’s a good, wide road – by the size and capacity of the drainage ditches either side, I guess they must expect some heavy rainfall (or melt water floods) here…

7700871-L-1.jpg

I re-enter Wyoming and, passing back through Cody, keep pressing south. There is a strong wind blowing - but it’s a tail wind - which makes for a comfortable ride, for the first time today. I reach Thermopolis at about 1600…

7700826-L.jpg

…and decide to stop there for the night. I check into the Elk Antler Motel – a Mom & Pop – it’s been a good day.

7700881-L.jpg

7701663-L.jpg

24th August

After a good night’s sleep, I pack and leave the Elk Antler Inn…

7700653-L.jpg

…by the look of the load in the truck next to the Adv, they’re building a new branch.

I find a café just down the road and meet up with John & David…

7700654-L.jpg

…who have trailered their bikes up from North Carolina for some riding near Yellowstone. They’re going to be driving the 32 hrs back home this weekend…:eek

After a good breakfast, I’m on the road, heading south, by 1000. It’s a beautiful day, with a strong wind blowing from the north west. The road follows the course of the Wind River Canyon for the first few miles (I rode this route on 23rd April), before heading through Riverton to Lander.

7700658-L.jpg

As I approach Rawlins, I notice a series of very threatening looking storm clouds to the south. It’s early afternoon, but I’ve no schedule to keep, nor any desire to ride in the rain, so I stop at the Best Western for the day…

7700650-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom